Flipping through my shed I find "the box."

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TJCloutier

Pro
5.00 star(s)
My dad collected Gary Sheffield (i tell this story countless times but just for newbies) he collected Terry Glenn but got a lot of Sheffield and would give me a lot. But he always kept the good stuff. Since his passing I've found over 1000 rc's, over 20 graded 9.5 rc's... over 100 gu, and in the "box"....

226 auto's (all prices on them. Paid up to $51 a piece, almost all are numbered 1/ how many and to 25) 66 printing plates, and 15 regular 1/1's. What do I say to this? Tears actually came to my eyes when I opened the box and then started to see how much he paid for all this cause he wasn't rich by any means, it almost seems like an addiction. He paid well over $6000 for this box. My collection is going to be outstanding, as well as the time I'm going to have showing off his Glenn collection... But wow, I'm just speechless!

That is awesome!! I can't wait to see some scans!!
Congrats!

Thanks. 226 autos, plus more that I havn't found. Will make a GREAT add to the site and collection. I now have the Biggest Sheffield, and Terry Glenn Collection other unless anyone can prove me wrong.

Really depends on who you are matched against. Autos, multiple RCs and 1/1s alone don't make a fantastic player collection. The real work and passion comes from tracking down the hard to find, oddball and sometimes simple items. Having tons of 1/1s, autos, etc just means someone had lots of cash to cover the market on ebay! For example, do you have the 1990 Score/McDonalds card? That would be as impressive as a run of the mill auto to me, as they were quite tough to find.

I don't remember who you matched up against in this round now, but I do remember thinking your presentation needed work. Your overall percentage is fairly low for a current player and the total BV is an unnecessary stat. There was little information about the collection in the post if I remember correctly other than what I can see in your signature.

Really depends on who you are matched against. Autos, multiple RCs and 1/1s alone don't make a fantastic player collection. The real work and passion comes from tracking down the hard to find, oddball and sometimes simple items. Having tons of 1/1s, autos, etc just means someone had lots of cash to cover the market on ebay! For example, do you have the 1990 Score/McDonalds card? That would be as impressive as a run of the mill auto to me, as they were quite tough to find.

I don't remember who you matched up against in this round now, but I do remember thinking your presentation needed work. Your overall percentage is fairly low for a current player and the total BV is an unnecessary stat. There was little information about the collection in the post if I remember correctly other than what I can see in your signature.

I have more things then I posted. It's just for fun so I didn't take up more than 5-10 min to type my misc out. I have about 4 of the mcdonalds cards. Their not that hard to find actually. I really don't see how you compare the Mcdonald's cards to 1/1s. Yeah 1/1's cost more, but those are one of if not the best cards to add to you collection. I don't see the comparison. IF someone doesn't have the cash to shell out for it that doesn't make them a bad person. But yes, it does make their collection inferior to anothers.

I said auto, not 1/1 when comparing the McDonalds card to something valued higher than it should be. However, 1/1s are plentiful these days. Most of them are automatically put up for sale as soon as they are pulled. If you have the money, you get as many as you can find for sale.

The other unique stuff (oddball, minor leagues, etc) are often more of a challenge, especially if their BV is low. People have long since buried them or they are not worth the effort to dig up to trade/sell.

The recent modern cards have changed how most people think about cards, but if you have collected for a while, you don't see the refractors, 1/1s, etc as that special. The 90s inserts were cool, but most of those gave way to poorer designs and low serial numbering. The creativity is all but gone.

You got my perspective on the vote, not everyone's. If you don't get my perspective, then I don't know what to tell you.