No more PWE's!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGT Masters

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I think it should be mandatory that any trader sending in a plain white envelope (PWE) to let the other trader know. I have been sent two cards the past month in a PWE, one was from ebay a $250 Tomlinson Auto GU/RC and just now on this site a 2005 Absolute Red Tools of the Trade Bat /10#d Willie Mays, both destroyed.

The one I just got on here was sent with thin pack spacers tightly taped around the card in a penny sleeve, no top loader. Three corners are smashed, and the card has creases all over it, some the width of the card. I just don't understand why people don't send cards in buble mailer anymore. The Tomlinson Auto/GU RC I was sent was in a top loader and was still ruined. Don't get me wrong I once got a Joe Dimaggio Cut Auto in a PWE and it was in nothing and it was fine. But more often than not thick cards get ruined whether they have a top loader or not.

People need to realize mail sent in a PWE is machine sorted and goes through rollers and such, if they have anything ridged in the mailer if it goes through the sorter just right it will certainly get mangled. A bubble mailer just doesn't add more protection, it is hand sorted. And in both cases had I known the cards would have been shipped in a PWE I wouldn't have made the deal. Heck the one on ebay was supposed to be sent in a mailer, with Insurance and Priority Mail. Maybe I am in minority here, but I hate seeing cards (especially highend ones) get ruined by carelessness. :mad:

I just can't understand how someone can even think sending any card, much less a sweet Mays #/10, in a PWE is a good idea.

PWE has its place for stuff not even worth the postage....but a $250 card? That is insane someone would ship that in a PWE! At a certain value, I start shipping cards in screw-downs...2 of the 3 cards you listed would fit my criteria for shipping USPS Priority in a BOX.

I understand people on here and other sites do it, and thats fine if they are upfront with it and are alright with the consequences. Common set fillers and such sure, but highend cards or rare ones which cannot be replaced, in my mind have no business being in PWEs. I just looked and the trader lists their age at 14 so that might explain why, ugh. Most adults know to at least let the other traders know before hand.

Wow buddy, thats a big loss.I have to agree with you,why would anyone send a hi ender in a pwe.I guess the age of the trader as a lot to do with it,and common sence comes into play too,it also shows some people care
about the hobby and others don't.Sorry to hear about your loss,this makes me ill.
Jon

Do we really have to have this conversation ever couple of freaking days.
Just agree before you trade that you will ship in padded mailers, or better yet just put it into the stupid trade manager. Dang!!!

I don't think you are in the minority. Everybody should send thick cards in bubble mailers, even if they are re-used. I like PWE for 1-2 cards in base sets and such, but anything else is worth paying the extra 40 cents for "non-machinable" or bubble mailing. The bench has been pretty good about packaging IMO and I have always communicated shipping terms. It is a shame that you got penalized because an ebay seller could spend an extar buck on shipping

I've been sending in pwe's for so long especially when its a low value card with the PO clerks deciding whats the fee and no where consistent with their charges. 99% of the people who trade on The Bench are terrific they not only look out for themselves but they look out for the trader don't let ONE rotten apple spoil the barrell. and next time you trade tell the person you are trading with how you want it shipped
Jack

Do we really have to have this conversation ever couple of freaking days.
Just agree before you trade that you will ship in padded mailers, or better yet just put it into the stupid trade manager. Dang!!!

Aparently if you are having this conversation "every couple of freaking days" its an issue that needs to be resolved. I guess I give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to common sense and shipping cards in top loaders and bubble mailers. Do you ask every trader you deal with if they will send the card in a top loader too or you just assume they will? Or how about, do you ask people not to just slap a stamp on the card itself and ship that way? Your thought process in that case is I should have agreed before hand, right?

My point exactly is to set aside a certain generalized rule of how to ship and if you don't ship that way its your job to notifiy the person you are dealing with that you ship differently. Same goes for shipping time, I don't ask everyone to send sametime, if I have alot of feedback and so do they, you pretty much expect them to, if they aren't going to its their job to notify me of late shipping, not the other way around for me to ask if they are shipping late.

You are now just angry blaming everyone step back think about it especially when you trade a high value card with someone. This isn't a problem with everyone just a few inconsiderate people.
Jack

We should start a "Wall of Shame" with scans of damaged cards from poor packing/shipping methods....the higher-end and nastier the damage, the better! :D

I send everything in padded, unless the other trader suggests PWE. At that point, if the seller is OK getting his card in a PWE, I will - in most cases - be OK getting my card in a PWE. I do find it annoying if someone sends me a card in a PWE without asking or even letting me know.
I would send a $1 card in a padded mailer. I expect you to do the same for me.
-Casey

Like so many things these days,
you can't take anything for granted.
I guess that if you(anyone)wants to
be on the safe side,you'll have to ask
the other trader how they'll ship.
If you don't,and you get trash,well,
guess thats the way it is.
Ken
Any chance we could see some scans?

You are now just angry blaming everyone step back think about it especially when you trade a high value card with someone. This isn't a problem with everyone just a few inconsiderate people.
Jack

You're reading too much into it. I am irritated that someone sent me a thick highend card without a top loader, in a PWE. I definitely am not mad at everyone, maybe you a bit. And then you tell me, at least how I read into it, I am in the wrong for not asking it to be sent in a bubble mailer and a top loader. Again I'll ask, do you ask all traders to send the card in a top loader, or do you just assume(trust) they won't just throw your end in a PWE?

I have had two very nice cards ruined by PWEs in the last month, I was out anything except the price of shipping them back and my time, but it could have easily been avoided with common sense. What if someone needed a certain rare card for a set and now its ruined because of lack of common sense?

Like so many things these days,
you can't take anything for granted.
I guess that if you(anyone)wants to
be on the safe side,you'll have to ask
the other trader how they'll ship.
If you don't,and you get trash,well,
guess thats the way it is.
Ken
Any chance we could see some scans?

I don't have scans of the Tomlinson Auto anymore, I can get some of the Mays in about 30 minutes. Its an all white card so my scanner won't pick it up well, but I'll use the digital camera and get some pics.

The point Ed was trying to make was, that every few days someone's posting a thread complaining about PWEs or cards damaged in shipping. Someone didn't tape the toploader shut, someone else used tape on the toploader and the card got stuck to the tape. Someone used a PWE and someone else always sends everything, including .05c commons in bubble envelopes wrapped in bubble wrap and encased in gold ... just to be safe.

Should everybody sending a high-end card ship the card in a bubble envelope? Yeah. Do they ... obviously not. Which is why, with a high-end deal specifics should be made. "Please be sure to mail the Babe Ruth 1/1 cut signature in a bubble envelope, please."

Should you have to remind people to do so? No. But as the world shows me every day, there are stupid, stupid people on this planet, and many people don't use common sense.

I'm going to close this thread, not because of any problems with posters, but simply because it's an issue that's been vented about enough, and kicking a dead horse, while good exercise, really is futile.

Status
Not open for further replies.