Question for the Group

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stlcardtrader

All-Star
4.90 star(s)
Out of curiosity and because of a recent situation I wanted to see what the majority of members here thought. When entering into a trade with someone if the other trader does not bring to your attention any imperfections with the cards or items that they intend on sending to you would you take issue if you received items that were damaged or had issues, I am not talking about minor issues? (I.E.; rounded corners, water damage, surface imperfections, missing or torn paper, writing on the front, etc.) Especially if you brought up an imperfection on a vintage card that you were sending in return along with other cards? More to the point when posting a trade in the trade manager and no mention of damage or issue is brought up do you expect to receive cards in exmt-mt condition?

I expect all imperfections to be revealed in a trade. Not only do these damages lower the book value but it's the right thing to do if you want to be considered a good trader.

One of my biggest pet peeves... I can't tell you how many times I have traded or bought a jersey or bat card only to find the card has creases around the memorabilia area. How do you not mention that when discussing a trade???

I expect all imperfections to be revealed in a trade. Not only do these damages lower the book value but it's the right thing to do if you want to be considered a good trader.

Agreed, only exceptions are if a large number of cards is being traded and something goes unnoticed. If there is a condition issue, it should be brought to the other traders attention, sometimes even on small # of cards changing hands issues can go unnoticed. I believe most folks on this site would try to make amends.

With Beckett pricing, the hi book value is for a NM-MT condition. Anything less than that should be disclosed during trade negotiations and posted with the trade.

This is probably the biggest reason why I am hesitant to buy vintage cards on line. There have been numerous times where I have been told that cards are exmt condition and when I receive them they are anything but that. I usually do not say anything and just trade them or throw them away but I am a lot more comfortable purchasing cards at a show or a shop so I can actually see what I am getting.

I also don't think a low resolution scan is sufficient either, if the card has a crease it should be disclosed, as something that doesn't break the paper will not show but an observation would.