2011 Topps Series 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Taliasen

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
2011 Topps Series 1

Per Box Items:
36 packs per box
10 cards per pack
1 Autograph or 1 Relic Card per Box

The standard sized cards have a full color action shot of the player on the card fronts. Bordered in white, the card fronts also show the player name, position and team name and logo. A simple colored strip matching the team color and silver foil trim thew fronts. The card backs are all horizontal in layout. A small, cropped head sot of the player is the only photo on the back. Moderate biographical information, modest career highlights and complete career statistics highlight the backs. The card backs are also trimmed with a the teams primary color.

What I Pulled:
360 cards - 3 duplicates
254/330 base set cards = 77% of the base set
9 Diamond Anniversary
9 Minis
6 Diamond Giveaway
9 Diamond Duos
5 CMGR
9 Topps 60
2 History of Topps
36 Topps Town (the three dupes were all Topps Town cards)
12 60 Years of Topps
3 60 Years of Topps "The Lost Cards" (which was confusing to tell apart from the regular YOT)
1 YOT original back reprint
4 gold cards #/2011
1 Autograph

Base card front and back:
2011Toppsbase.jpg

The Inserts: (not all scanned, just listing the bigger names, if you have specific wants, just ask)
Mini Strasburg
Diamond Anniversary Lester, Cuddyer, Padilla, Fuentes,Kendrick, Lowell, Encarnacion, Bailey, Guthrie
Gold Vizquel, Dempster, Harand, Boesch
Original Back Schmidt
Topps 60 Snider, Mantle, Ryan
2011Toppsinserts.jpg

The Hit:
Topps 60 Marlon Byrd Autograph
2011ToppsAuto.jpg

Of all of the signs of spring, the first robin, the first trees budding, the first t-shirt weather day, one of my favorite signs is the first baseball card set released every year. Just like baseball itself, we know that Topps will come come back every spring and let us know that all is right with the world. I absolutely love this year's base card design. It is simple and clean. I also really like the horizontal backs and the occasional horizontal fronts. The shot selection is great with some good actions shots and some candid moments. Another plus for me is the tri-picture league leader cards and the team cards. There are tons of inserts and parallels loaded into series one. Topps is really working the 60th anniversary theme throughout the series as well. The auto is a sticker auto, but it fits the card nice. I actually would have preferred a few less inserts and a few more base cards in my box, but that will not make completing the base set that much harder.

The Bottom Line:
I give 2011 Topps a buy rating. It will be very easy to complete a base set with a box, a few extra packs and some light trading. There are lots of inserts and parallels to chase. Buy a box and trade your Tigers and Rickey Henderson cards to me!

The Final Score:
Final Ratings (Out of 5):
Base set collect-ability: 4/5
Big-hit Hunter: 3/5
Prospector Hunter:3/5
Overall Design: 5/5
Fun: 5/5
Value: 5/5
Re-buy: 5/5
Overall Quality: 5/5

Overall: 35/40 (88% = B)

As always I am offering base and insert cards to members of The Bench for a SASE

Thanks to Topps for making this review possible!

Tal

Last edited: