Newbie at graded has simple questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyGreerFan

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
First, what is "slabbed?" If it's what I think it is, are cards still a joy to admire when they are slabbed?

Second, what grading service is most valued? Like if you were to sell a graded card on ebay does PSA get the most money and everyone else is in 2nd place?

Third, I have a couple of high-dollar cards that I want graded for the purpose of re-selling eventually. I don't have a PSA membership. What service do you recommend and how much total cost will I incur trying to get them graded? (including shipping, etc).

Thank you so much for your advice.

First, what is "slabbed?" If it's what I think it is, are cards still a joy to admire when they are slabbed?

Second, what grading service is most valued? Like if you were to sell a graded card on ebay does PSA get the most money and everyone else is in 2nd place?

Third, I have a couple of high-dollar cards that I want graded for the purpose of re-selling eventually. I don't have a PSA membership. What service do you recommend and how much total cost will I incur trying to get them graded? (including shipping, etc).

Thank you so much for your advice.

first, slabbed is when they are in the graded cases,before i got a graded card i thought they wouldnt look good slabbed but they look better!!

second,i think BGS is the most valuable one and gets the most money on ebay

third,i would go with BGS grading services,i think they are around 8 dollars a card and get cheaper depending on how many you get graded.

I've always been a fan of PSA, but BGS is also first class.

You do have to join PSA with a membership, (and you can check out current offers at their site), but you get free gradings, a mag subscribtion, a also bonus gift sometimes.

Only other thing I can add is that PSA seems to be the "standard" for Vintage cards, and BGS more so for current cards.

Good Luck;
Jack

I agree. BGS is #1 and PSA is a very close second. I like how BGS gives you a much better slab and grading of corners, edges, centering, and surface right on the slab. I think the cost of BGS grading starts at about $10 now though and gets cheaper if you get more than 10 done at a time. BGS is a very high standard of grading though. Very few 10's.

Sometimes you can get it cheaper,one of the things is what service do you want anywere from 2-45 days.I am planning on doing a submission soon I will drop you a pm later on today.

WOW. So if I wanted just one card graded I might end up paying in the neighborhood of $40?! Sheesh!

Yes, please do PM me.

In short, it is not worth it to just get one card graded. The minimum shipping back cost is $14 and insurance (which is required) for return shipping for values $1-$1000 is $8. Add that to your shipping fees there and the cards actually being graded themselves (don't forget to add $2 for each AU) and it adds up fast. I have a free 2 gradings and even with it being "free" it is still is going to cost me about $30.

I don't think its been mentioned yet, but it kind of depends what you are getting graded. In my experience, the best companies are as follows:
SGC: Pre-WWII cards
BGS: Modern shiny stuff
PSA: The rest

PSA seems to be the best for sales on non-chrome cards, but I know a large amount of collectors (myself included) that prefer SGC by far. The PSA slabs feel flimsy and cheap to me. Plus, the SGC ones have a black inlay in them that make certain cards look great. Comparison:
SpeakerT206SGC30.jpg
CarriganT206Piedmont.jpg