Any plans to "update" the way search works ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mintman2

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Asking because I tried searching titles for 2007 spx and then ripken spx, because I'm looking specifically for 07 Ripken spx quad gu cards, and both searches eliminated spx due to it being too short. Pretty dang frustrating since there's really no other way to find them other than just lucking into them with a Ripken or 2007 search (not really a good plan of attack though).

I think it's a system that comes with the site, so it just won't seach 3 letter words or acronyms, and I don't think they can fix that.

I am sorry I missed this the day you posted it, it is my fault for not checking this forum more carefully.

The current vBulletin search function is the best we have available at this time. It is on my list of things to attempt to do, but am limited by my current knowledge of vBulletin.

I am sorry that it doesn't work the way you would like it to, but at this time there is not anything I can do about it.

In addition to what Nick said--I believe there is a way we can change the search engine but most likely will not go ahead with the change. The search engine actually puts a strain on the site when used and when we tried to expand the engine it actually would slow the site down for anyone on--a couple of times the site crashed. While this was a few servers ago we know it would still put a strain on the site and have settled on the current search for now.

Sorry for not respnding sooner to this thread as well, just plain missed it somehow:eek:

Thanks guys. No worries. If you didn't make "mistakes" we'd have you locked up and sell tickets to see the world's only perfect human.

Is there a way to search for a phrase like "2007 Ripken" so as not to get every single "2007" and "Ripken" entry ?

Thanks guys. No worries. If you didn't make "mistakes" we'd have you locked up and sell tickets to see the world's only perfect human.

Is there a way to search for a phrase like "2007 Ripken" so as not to get every single "2007" and "Ripken" entry ?

Good question. I will hit the VBulletin boards and see if I can't find an answer to that--may take a couple of days:)

An alternative (although far from perfect) way to search is to use google. When you do a search, add site:thebenchtrading.com to the end of your search. This tells Google to only search the bench.

For example, to search for the exact phrase 2007 Ripken, you can do this search:

"2007 Ripken" site:thebenchtrading.com

Here's a link to this search to see exactly what it looks like: Google

Two big downsides to this, however is that you can't search a specific forum and you are stuck with the order of results that google gives you. (At least I haven't figured out ways around it).

Thanks. That's one more way to go about it.

The workaround I've been doing is simply searching for Ripken in titles only or in initial post only. There's few enough of them I can just look through the titles or skim the first post looking for the red Ripken