Review Tier 1 - M L B

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hdjstuff

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Tier 1 - MLB

One box / pack received - 7 cards
'2 Autos and 1 Relic inside'

I received the following cards:

3 base cards
img115.jpg
Musial
Gwynn
Moustakas

Tier 1 is a premium issue - running about $100 per pack (at least at one card shop here in Orlando.) These premium cards are printed on very heavy stock and each card is numbered. Base cards are numbered to 799. The front features an action shot with gold foil where the name is imprinted. The numbering of the cards is on the top right of the card on the front. The reverse has career stats and personal stats (while the player was active) and 'Career Tiers' - each card I received has 4 Tiers of highlights.

Inserts

Blue/Teal Green #ed to 199

img116.jpg

Justin Upton

Relic

img117.jpg
G/U jsy w/stripe - #ed to 399

Ubaldo Jimenez

Autos

img118.jpg

Daniel Hudson #ed to 699
Josh Thole #ed to 999

Autos - both are blue Sharpee - ON THE CARD autos - VERY, VERY GOOD!!! - as it should be all the time. They both look very good (even though Josh has yet to learn to write!) The auto collector and the rookie auto collector should really like this issue.

Tier 1 should be a solid issue for the player collector and not so much for the set collector. One will have to buy a ton of boxes and have extremely deep pockets to collate a set of Tier 1 - however, if one wanted to chase the set, the 'bay' might be the best choice. I do like the issue for the player collector - one will have several parallels to chase for each player.

The rookie collector will need to be fortunate when ripping a pack/box to get the rookie of their choice. I only received one rookie - Mike Moustakas - at least with the RC designation.

Overall grade A-- one will need to be very lucky to get a solid 'return' on their investment.

Go buy several boxes and send the Rays (parallels, autos, and game used) to me!!

Duane

Last edited:
Thanks. But that wasn't why I said it. When I'm better organized, I'll have you check out my Rays stuff.

I would like a shot at the Thole, but it might be out of my range. But please let me know if it winds up coming available. Thanks for the info, Tony.

With all due respect, there are 999 of them, so that range will be around $8, and if you factor in the fact that Thole has signed in every Topps product this year, it might be around $5.