Review 2012 Topps Heritage - M L B

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hdjstuff

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
2012 Topps Heritage - M L B

24 packs / 9 cards per pack
'Look for a Real One Auto or Relic Card in every box!'

I received the following:

192 unique base cards - no dupes
and
8 SP's
img194.jpg

As in the past, the Heritage has a big following. This year's design copies the design of 1963. I personally like this design. It is 'clean' and looks great. The backs are easy to read. The cards are on stiff white stock with a matte finish on the front. The reverse has the players' entire professional stats listed.

Inserts

Chrome Parallels #ed to 1963 / 563 (refractors)

img195.jpg

The chrome parallels are much stiffer than the base card. I was a little disappointed that I did not receive more chromes in this box (or in any of the other boxes that I have ripped) - only received 3 - 2 regular and 1 refractor. Having said that, I still like the chrome parallels and believe that anyone that will chase this parallel set will have their work cut out for them - but it will be a very SWEET set once completed.

Box Topper

img198.jpg
img199.jpg

I still don't know what in the heck we are supposed to do with these 'triple cards all in one piece' things. I included the reverse photo which shows a Ryan Howard back - notice that he is not one of the ones pictured on the front. Question --- If I were to cut it off, could I put it on the 'bay as an error card / wrong back card? One or some of you, let me know.

New Age Performers / Flashbacks
img196.jpg

1 New Age
2 News Flashbacks
2 Baseball Flashbacks

Then and Now // Stickers

img197.jpg

2 Then and Now
3 Stickers

Black & White Reverse

img221.jpg

Justin Verlander

Relic

img200.jpg

Jared Weaver
G/U Jsy

2012 Heritage - again Topps has a winner on it's hands. This is one of those issues that master set builders chase. One will want to get one of everything - maybe not the chromes, but at least one of each of the other cards - inserts and all.

I must admit that I don't know if I received any of the reversed color cards - i.e. instead of a yellow strip across the bottom - it's red or some other color. I'll have to wait for the SP list to come out. When it does, I will post it here.

I do believe the number of SP's needed for the set is 75 - numbered 426 to 500. If one receives 8 per box, one would need at least 10 boxes for the possible completion of the set.

Topps ---- PLEASE stop stamping the buy back cards.... I would greatly disappointed if I received what could have been a high dollar card with a gold foil stamp on it....

Overall grade A - excellent collation.

Go buy 10 boxes and send the Rays chromes to me!!

Duane

At least you for a decent color variation. And I totally agree with you on the buy back stamps as well.

Did you happen to pull a Brett Lawrie from your box?

Hi Duane....great review as always :)

What can I send to you for that Verlander?? That one is sweet and I haven't seen one card like that one.....plmk....thanks as always.
Oh, some of the box toppers are autos of guys from 1963 I think...?
Diane

Duane,
I really like the Koufax/Kershaw then & now.

Thanks for the break review as always,
Zach.

Thanks for the review Duane. I really look forward to this set every year. PLMK if you pulled any of these base

16 41 73 160 174 205 234

Thanks, Brett

From a pure collecting standpoint, the stamp "authenticates" the buyback, plus makes it MUCH more rare. Assuming Topps buys back a few hundred of any given card, that is still a fraction of what was once printed and likely survives out there now.

Personally I like the stamps, embossed logos, encased cards or whatever else the companies do to make sure you know these were "reissued". I can find the same card in raw form any day. The stamp will make it more desirable in the end.

That being said, I have a buyback 1939 Play Ball Whit Wyatt card. Can't remember who issued it, but it has a certificate that came with it and that is all! The card is not marked in any way. I can take that certificate and match it with another lower grade Wyatt card and nobody would know the difference. That my friends is lame.

By the way, those box toppers commemorate the advertising panels that Topps/Bowman used to use back in the day. I believe they often had mismatched backs. Cutting it up would not be advised. I'm sure there are plenty of collectors of the oversized items. I used to love anything odd shaped/sized. I like the fact that one of the cards is a trophy card. Used to collect those pretty hard too.

Last edited: