Review '13 Topps Update Series

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hdjstuff

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
'13 Update Series - MLB

36 packs - 10 cards per pack
One Auto or One Relic card per box

I received the following:

258 unique base cards of the 330 set - 78% PLUS 50 duplicates @#$%^& -- what is up with that??? 13.8% of the total cards received were duplicates.... One can look at that one of 2 ways (maybe more..) - I now have extras to trade for what I need or I have a bunch of extras when attempting to build a set.

img756_zps9fbd72b4.jpg

Update Series is the continuation of the base set - Series 1 and Series 2. I really like the action photos. It seems to me to be an effort to capture the game more in the photos. With HD photography and the ability to shoot literally 1000's of shots in a game for next to no cost (discounting the cost of the camera, lens, and the photographer's time) - the pictures are excellent.

Inserts

Parallels

Gold #ed to 2013 and Green Sparkle

img758_zps31d51e65.jpg

5 Gold
6 Green

Black #ed to 62 and Sapphire #ed to 25

img759_zps4805bb3a.jpg

Black - Jose Alvarez
Sapphire - Chris Sale

Mini's

img761_zps1e0134c6.jpg

9 mini's

Chasing History and Making the Mark

img760_zps32b21eac.jpg

6 Making the Mark
9 Chasing History

Post Season Heroes and Franchise Forerunners

img757_zpsabf1a616.jpg

4 Post Season Heroes
5 Franchise Forerunners

Relic

img762_zpscd56b462.jpg

Jose Bautista - All Star workout jsy

###########################

Update Series is a must for the set builder/collector - especially if one has Series 1 and Series 2 completed. The player collector will find several 'challenges' -- there are SP's of some of the players, along with several cards of certain players - all with parallels - gold, cammo, green sparkle, pink, black, sapphire, and 1/1 printing plates. For example - one of the players I like - Wil Myers - has 3 cards in this set (if I'm not mistaken) - that's a lot of parallels to chase.

I like the parallels - and I like to have the parallels numbered - black, sapphire, and gold - it make them even more collectible.

The various inserts are continuations of the previous sets. I believe the Franchise Forerunners and the Post Season Heroes are both new to the Series and both are pretty cool.

Overall grade A-- Waaaaaaaaaaay too many duplicates in this particular box!

Go buy several boxes and send the Rays parallels (especially Myers and Longoria) to me!!

Duane

Topps does that sometimes with the dups. I've received a couple of packs exactly the same in boxes. Can use the Black card, Gold cards and any McCutchen and Cole cards if any. Thanks for your consideration on this. Butch

Ugh, enough with the parallels and modern players on old designs. Topps needs a new idea man, or team for that matter. Wish they would bring back the 700 card set, no inserts, no auto, no Gu. Seems like they would be able to do it for $2 a pack.

Thanks for the review Duane. I too love the action photos. Too bad about the dups. Please LMK if you pulled any of these.

3 13 32 81 82 86 133 152 164 175 176 178 191 248 279 290
FF-10 Fernandez/Stanton

Thanks, Brett

Any Red Sox parallels or these inserts: 1971 Topps Mini Ortiz, Chasing History 101, 104, 137. I have a gold #d and a Making their Mark Myers to trade for them.

Thanks,

Jeff

I heard the Brandon Phillips card with the bat boy sold for $150 on eBay. The bat boy is mentally challenged and apparently very popular.

I heard the Brandon Phillips card with the bat boy sold for $150 on eBay. The bat boy is mentally challenged and apparently very popular.

Bat boy is shown with Dusty Baker I believe.

I see now they SP and Super SP's, Puig being one of them of course with multiple photo variations. Since they sell for a ton though can't really argue with the method of Topps Madness. Would like to see some different ideas though--and like Ed said, being back at least one "simple" type set. Topps Total would be something fun to start up again. Few tiny insert sets, a silver parallel and I think 2005 Total did a few autographs.

Thanks for the review Duane. I too love the action photos. Too bad about the dups. Please LMK if you pulled any of these.

3 13 32 81 82 86 133 152 164 175 176 178 191 248 279 290
FF-10 Fernandez/Stanton

Thanks, Brett

I have -- 3-32-81-82-86-133-152-175-176-178-191-248

Duane

Any Red Sox parallels or these inserts: 1971 Topps Mini Ortiz, Chasing History 101, 104, 137. I have a gold #d and a Making their Mark Myers to trade for them.

Thanks,

Jeff

Something just dawned on me.... how could they make an ORTIZ mini? I know he lost weight... but really?

Duane