Player Collectors opinions on 1993 Topps/R&N China?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I always thought the porcelain cards were cool looking. They also did some kind of tribute with mantle. I remember picking some of these up for $0.99-$2.00 on ebay years ago. Some players went for a lot more then others like maddux, mantle, jeter, ripken... Not to long ago i bought 3 at a trade show for $6 clemens ripken and puckett. On the back of the boxes it shows $19.99 but reduced down to $4.99 on a jcpenny price tag. I have these maddux in my collection below.

1987 topps traded
1996 topps
1997 topps
collectors plate 1994 topps

I have the Tom Glavine porcelian I bought it at Disney World
This card came in a special box I have a picture of box,card and info if someone will tell me by steps how to
to include a photo in this message
Jack

Last edited:
After a few more years, and 160 document cards from the 1993 set, I have also started tracking the 1994 cards and adding them to TCDB.com. I think I understand these a little better. Nothing was produced in advance. While I still haven't found any marketing material, the verbiage for these porcelain sets was something to the effect of "limited to 1000", but they were effectively produced on-demand. So while a card is "limited to 1000" only 12 may have ever been produced and sold. After all, the cards are basically just porcelain blanks with decals affixed to them, they aren't actually produced as specific cards from the kiln. Finding a stack of the unused decals would be fun!

So while there could be at most 1000 or 5000 copies of any given card, that is a production limit, not a print run. It also helps explain the weird assortment of players.

I'm up to about 33 cards for the 1994 set, and the team distribution is a lot like 1993. In 1993 someone ordered lots of Braves and Rockies. In 1994, someone ordered a lot of Indians and Giants. So while I have seen a copy of the 1993 Dave Henderson (years and years ago and missed it) and I own a 1993 Roberto Kelly, the chances of finding a Meulens are likely slim to none unless someone happened to just order a bunch of Yankees and they eventually find their way to the market.

Last edited: