Popularity of baseball cards vs football cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I'm really wondering if baseball's inability to get its act together and play this season is going to hurt the popularity of that sport's cards? It might not because card collectors tend to be older males who are very nostalgic about baseball. I don't know too many younger collectors these days so I'm not sure about the long term health of the entire sportscard hobby, not just baseball cards..

Trying to figure out how to determine the popularity of current cards - even without the season currently underway. As discussed in other threads, box prices are going through the roof. Will pull the Topps 2020 Series II example again -- jumbo boxes are $206 each right now. For that price 2 years ago, could get 2 jumbo boxes and enough sleeves and toploaders to last me 6 months (or more).

Eventually too many folks will get into breaking, etc., and realize it is not a money making opportunity, at which point my hope is that prices return to something a bit more reasonable.

Trying to figure out how to determine the popularity of current cards - even without the season currently underway. As discussed in other threads, box prices are going through the roof. Will pull the Topps 2020 Series II example again -- jumbo boxes are $206 each right now. For that price 2 years ago, could get 2 jumbo boxes and enough sleeves and toploaders to last me 6 months (or more).

Eventually too many folks will get into breaking, etc., and realize it is not a money making opportunity, at which point my hope is that prices return to something a bit more reasonable.

I've got to ask, what is breaking? I've seen that term numerous times and don't know what it is.

I'm also wondering how MLB's seeming reluctance to play this season will effect the popularity of its' cards? Losing a complete (or near complete) season is not a good thing for speculating on prospects. I'm thinking this will really help football cards since they appear to be anxious to play.

Prces of current unopened material just floors me. I remember when Upper Deck packs went to $1 each in 1989 and I thought that was insane. Actually, I was correct in that thought since most boxes going for $36 was a colossal waste of money. Was putting together a 1992 Donruss set for $72 ($36 X 2 series) worth it in retrospect? There were more prducts like 1992 Donruss than there were of 1993 SP over the years by a long shot. And it seems like collectors today want to make the same mistake over and over again by chasing the new and hot.

I still believe this can be an inexpensive hobby if you use your head. Patience and taking the path of least resistance is the way to go.

The thrill of the chase has to be worth something. I buy a Topps hobby jumbo of series one and two and update every year. Every once in a while I will pull something really good. Obviously that is rare. But the chance is always there. I love the fact that there are game used cards in packs. Pieces of jerseys and bats from the greats of the game is something that I love to see people get. I have never been a fan of the theory that the bats and jerseys should not be "destroyed" like that. But how likely am I to be able to afford a Ruth jersey? Or a Gehrig bat? Can anyone on here afford that stuff? I think not. But how cool is it to get a Gehrig or Ruth GU card. While those are expensive they are at least affordable. I for one will continue to buy old and new cards.

I've got to ask, what is breaking? I've seen that term numerous times and don't know what it is.

I'm also wondering how MLB's seeming reluctance to play this season will effect the popularity of its' cards? Losing a complete (or near complete) season is not a good thing for speculating on prospects. I'm thinking this will really help football cards since they appear to be anxious to play.

Prces of current unopened material just floors me. I remember when Upper Deck packs went to $1 each in 1989 and I thought that was insane. Actually, I was correct in that thought since most boxes going for $36 was a colossal waste of money. Was putting together a 1992 Donruss set for $72 ($36 X 2 series) worth it in retrospect? There were more prducts like 1992 Donruss than there were of 1993 SP over the years by a long shot. And it seems like collectors today want to make the same mistake over and over again by chasing the new and hot.

I still believe this can be an inexpensive hobby if you use your head. Patience and taking the path of least resistance is the way to go.

Jeff,

My understanding of a break is a purchase of a case, and individual collectors buy in for their teams or however it is divided up, and then you see what you get. Have not done one, as I am actually trying to downsize! I am out of wall space, officially! I know there are tons of videos out there where one guy gets the Mickey Mantle 1/1 cut, and the rest of the guys get the remainders, but it is trending in the hobby at the moment. Not my scene, I am moving for quality over quantity! Fortunately, my nephew in Tennessee is WILD about cards at the moment, so I am sending a lot his way!!

Blessings,

Kevin

Jeff,

My understanding of a break is a purchase of a case, and individual collectors buy in for their teams or however it is divided up, and then you see what you get. Have not done one, as I am actually trying to downsize! I am out of wall space, officially! I know there are tons of videos out there where one guy gets the Mickey Mantle 1/1 cut, and the rest of the guys get the remainders, but it is trending in the hobby at the moment. Not my scene, I am moving for quality over quantity! Fortunately, my nephew in Tennessee is WILD about cards at the moment, so I am sending a lot his way!!

Blessings,

Kevin

I thought it was something like that except collectors were buying individual packs from the case and then they watch thee packs opened live online. In other words, I'm buying the 4th pack in the 2nd box for X amount of dollars and I get whatever is in that pack. And I'm thinking they are paying A LOT for each pack otherwise it would not be worth the effort of the case purchaer to go through all this.

Thanks for the explanation!

I thought it was something like that except collectors were buying individual packs from the case and then they watch thee packs opened live online. In other words, I'm buying the 4th pack in the 2nd box for X amount of dollars and I get whatever is in that pack. And I'm thinking they are paying A LOT for each pack otherwise it would not be worth the effort of the case purchaer to go through all this.

Thanks for the explanation!

I do believe your description is probably closer to accurate than mine! I also agree that it is more expensive likely, to make it worth the "breaker's" time!