Asking for help in identifying refractor vs. regular card

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boots

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
I have two cards and am not sure if they are refractors or not. I cannot tell from looking at them. Someone said, or I read somewhere, that the refractors have a "rainbow." I understand that to mean theat the border, when light is shined on the card, reflects a variety of colors. Is that a fair statement and the legitimate way to determine if a refractor?
Is there any other way, e.g. some serial numbering on he obverse ala the 2015 FHR cards?
Thanks,
Frank

Certain sets it can be difficult. Take it where there's good light/sunlight, then tilt it slightly back and forth. You should see a rainbow-y reflection of the light on the surface of the card.
Later sets Topps was nice enough to put the word "refractor" under the card #, but they didn't do that dependably.

Certain sets it can be difficult. Take it where there's good light/sunlight, then tilt it slightly back and forth. You should see a rainbow-y reflection of the light on the surface of the card.
Later sets Topps was nice enough to put the word "refractor" under the card #, but they didn't do that dependably.

Thanks for the help. I think that, unfortunately, mine are just regular series, and not refractors.
Frank

The very early Finest were the worst (for me) to tell.

One is 1994 McGwire, the other a 1995 Sosa. BIG difference in price on the Sosa for refractor vs regular issue, like 10x!
So I'm a little bummed, but, since I am working on a trade in which it is involved, needed to be sure I was not sending something that was not what it purported to be.
Thanks!
Frank

Sometimes 2D is impossible to tell, but if you scan the scans and post an image, often it is easy to tell. Some people just can not see the effect, kind of like a color blindness.

Another way to describe it would be to take a small stack of the cards and fan them out just a little. The refractors always appear to have a depth that the regular cards do not, especially if they have borders.

Not the best example because the cards are not the exact same, but if you are able to see the refractor effect with your eyes, then it should be very apparent in these two photos.

https://thebenchtrading.com/album.php?albumid=229

Thanks! I feel pretty confident that my cards are not refractors, as they do not appear to have that effect.
Thanks for your help.
Frank

I still remember this older lady who ran a shop with her husband in the 90s near where I was living. Refractors were new at that time, but she couldn't see them and this was the first time I ran into someone who physically could not see the effect. I was convinced she just wasn't looking at them right, but it started to make sense when you realize that people can have different physical issues that prevent things. We take it for granted that we can see things clearly, in full color and as intended when you have no eye issues.