Old Beckett prices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The other two cards that were not guessed were the following:

1960 Topps Carl Yastrzemski #148 100.00
1965 Topps Steve Carlton #477 100.00

Even from 1956 to 1959 the only card that was listed at more than 100.00 was the 1956 Topps mantle #135 and it was at an even 100.00.

This was outstanding trivia - thanks for posting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1973 Topps Schmidt RC. That was always a hot card back in the day. And I am going to give a very odd guess that may prove I am indeed an O.G. of card collecting. The 1967 Topps Brooks Robinson high number. That card was ALWAYS shown on the covers of early price guides and was a very sought after card.

I guess I am not an O.G. of card colecting after all! LOL I did not think Yaz was going tobe one of the cards and I was considering the Carlton as his RC was very hot for a while in the 80s.

I liked Gestes Reggie RC guess. I was quite sure the Ryan furor came more in the late 80s. I remeber his RC was no big deal for a good part of that decade because i was shocked when it went up for the $40 level to hundreds of dolars seemingly over night. Same can be said for Joe Montant's rc as well as Mattingly's.

I guess I am not an O.G. of card colecting after all! LOL I did not think Yaz was going tobe one of the cards and I was considering the Carlton as his RC was very hot for a while in the 80s.

I liked Gestes Reggie RC guess. I was quite sure the Ryan furor came more in the late 80s. I remeber his RC was no big deal for a good part of that decade because i was shocked when it went up for the $40 level to hundreds of dolars seemingly over night. Same can be said for Joe Montant's rc as well as Mattingly's.

I think you needed to look a the month and year of this Beckett. Yaz and Bench had retired recently and those two were pretty hot collecting wise. And Carlton was still near the top of his game but the slide was coming and coming quick. It seemed that once he left the Phillies it went downhill fast. It seemed he was jumping from team to team at the end.

I think you needed to look a the month and year of this Beckett. Yaz and Bench had retired recently and those two were pretty hot collecting wise. And Carlton was still near the top of his game but the slide was coming and coming quick. It seemed that once he left the Phillies it went downhill fast. It seemed he was jumping from team to team at the end.

Yeah, That month and year would have made me change my Mattingly guess. Taht price rise may have taken place in 1986. It seems to me Carlton had just broken the SO record for left handers and had a shot at getting the overall SO record. I do remember him being very hot at the time compared to being an afterthought today.

If you could give me the value of the 1967 Topps Brooks Robinson I'd be curious to know that. That was a major card in the early days of published card collecting.

Yeah, That month and year would have made me change my Mattingly guess. Taht price rise may have taken place in 1986. It seems to me Carlton had just broken the SO record for left handers and had a shot at getting the overall SO record. I do remember him being very hot at the time compared to being an afterthought today.

If you could give me the value of the 1967 Topps Brooks Robinson I'd be curious to know that. That was a major card in the early days of published card collecting.

The Brooks Roinson was at 90.00 at the time. I do not know about you, but that 1967 Topps set is the best one they have ever made. Absolutely great looking cards and the high number Seaver and Carew rookies do not hurt it either.

The Brooks Roinson was at 90.00 at the time. I do not know about you, but that 1967 Topps set is the best one they have ever made. Absolutely great looking cards and the high number Seaver and Carew rookies do not hurt it either.

Thanks for that price on the '67 Brooks. That was close enough of a guess to being correct as you can get. I feel I got some of my old school card collecting cred back with that guess!! LOL!

I 100% agree with you on the 1967 Topps being the best looking issue ever. It is just a gorgeous set with the bright color photos. 1969 Topps is number two on that list as it has a similar appearence to the 1967s but just a notch below. #3 is the 1966 Topps because it is the very first baseball card set I remember not so much because of its appearence. I'd say from 1963 through 1969 Topps had their Golden Years for very nice looking cards. I can't think of any issues before or after that era that comes close to those sets.

The issue I have in my hand is from August of 1985. Issue #10 with Reggie Jackson on the front.But as a Cubs fan you will be thrilled to know that Leon Durham was on the back!!!!

The Bull! What was Andre Dawson's Rookie Card worth back then? If I remember correctly, it topped out at $60.00. I can't ever remember it being below $20.00 while I was collecting.

Although, I'm sure it was at some point!

Thanks
Craig

The Bull! What was Andre Dawson's Rookie Card worth back then? If I remember correctly, it topped out at $60.00. I can't ever remember it being below $20.00 while I was collecting.

Although, I'm sure it was at some point!

Thanks
Craig

The Dawson was 9.50 at the time. The Dale Murphy rookie from the same set was listed at 35.00.

I have to think that Mantle had at least one. What about the Mike Schmidt RC. Maybe the Steve Carlton RC.

Here are the 4:

The Rose was at 400.00 at the time and the Seaver was at 110.00.
1960 Topps Carl Yastrzemski #148 100.00
1965 Topps Steve Carlton #477 100.00

My wife did a term paper on investment returns and used 1984 prices to modern on vintage Aaron Clemente Mantle etc these prices were crazy

My wife did a term paper on investment returns and used 1984 prices to modern on vintage Aaron Clemente Mantle etc these prices were crazy

100% agree. I was floored with the prices of the vintage stuff. I recently bought a Beckett vintage price guide and there are up arrows all over the place. Even the cards from the mid-70's are going up. People are not buying the price guide like they were years ago. So I am guessing that if you do not subscribe to Beckett you would not know how much this stuff is going up. Guys like Seaver and Palmer from the mid 70's are now booking for 25.00 and up. And the price difference for stuff from the 50's and 60's for guys like Mantle and Mays and the other big names is mind boggling. In the Beckett I was looking at even the 1969 Topps Mantle white letter variation was below 100.00.

You do realize that the price guide you mentioned was from 35 years ago. A lot of those cards were probably thrown out ,
got burned in house fires, got moldy, lost in floods, etc. Butch

You do realize that the price guide you mentioned was from 35 years ago. A lot of those cards were probably thrown out ,
got burned in house fires, got moldy, lost in floods, etc. Butch

I do realize it was price guide from many years ago. I just thought it was nice piece of trivia.

I do realize it was price guide from many years ago. I just thought it was nice piece of trivia.

And actually extremely interesting for those like me who were collecting at the time.

You'd be absolutely floored if you saw the values of football cards at that time. They were pennies to the dollar compared to baseball cards. And basketball was a complete non factor. I don't think a price guide came out for basketball and hockey until the late 80s.

I had totally forgotten about the White Letter Mantle or I would have incorrectly guessed that one. I'd never have thought from 1956 to 1969 there was only one Mantle that booked for $100!!!! But $100 in 1985 was a lot different than $100 today.

100% agree. I was floored with the prices of the vintage stuff. I recently bought a Beckett vintage price guide and there are up arrows all over the place. Even the cards from the mid-70's are going up. People are not buying the price guide like they were years ago. So I am guessing that if you do not subscribe to Beckett you would not know how much this stuff is going up. Guys like Seaver and Palmer from the mid 70's are now booking for 25.00 and up. And the price difference for stuff from the 50's and 60's for guys like Mantle and Mays and the other big names is mind boggling. In the Beckett I was looking at even the 1969 Topps Mantle white letter variation was below 100.00.

One of my hobbies inside the collecting stratosphere is to watch the OPG for up arrows on Vintage. I then search ebay for those cards and try to buy the nicest ones for the biggest discount considering the new price. Ive bought some nice stuff that way. Fun little way to feel like you got a good deal.