COVID Effect on Card Prices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boots

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
I am not talking about new issues (e.g. "wax" boxes, etc), but rather the everyday cards that are traded or sold (some on e-bay) including vintage.
What have you seen? Has there been a surge in interest for some cards (aside from the "Last Dance" effect on Jordan, Pippen et al.)
Please let us know.
Thanks
Frank

Also the stimulus money.
It seems to me that those coupled with people having "extra time" led to a boom of activity, and price increases.
Frank

I think the fact that a lot of people are home a lot more has brought people back into the hobby. Thus adding more demand.

On a personal note I lost my job back in April which got me back into the hobby after 20 years. I am not using stimulus or unemployment money for baseball cards but just trying to finish sets by trading for 75 T, 78 T and 85-89 junk era from my childhood and teenage years.

Greg

I scan eBay frequently and for some time the prices have appeared to be way up and for not just your average cards but especially for things like autographs. Used to be fairly easy to pick up a reasonably priced card of a player you collect but seems nearly impossible now. Then you add on tax and $4 or more shipping fee. Ouch!

I don't see unemployment money being spent on cards. I do think more people are putting some nice items up for sale to help get by. And I don't see them giving away with the idea if they sell at my price fine if not no big deal. Then big sellers see the stimulus money and jump in to cash in.

So many more "investors" in the hobby than ever before.

Also the fact that no money is being spent on sports or gambling means that money goes somewhere else, such as cards.