Liquidating in 2020 - are you downsizing or upsizing right now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

It looks like the trend here is definately downsizing which is not surprisng since this is pretty much an older guy's hobby.

It looks like the trend here is definately downsizing which is not surprisng since this is pretty much an older guy's hobby.

Jeff, I am officially out of wall space, so am looking to slowly downsize as well! I dont store anything in books or binders anymore, so am needing to be choosy with what i create and send out, and have replaced some items with others, upgraded to nicer quality photos, etc.

The beauty of the Bench is that when I have surplus, I can give items away on here to new homes where they will be appreciated!

Blessings,

Kevin

I guess I am in the minority. My collection continues to grow. Picked up some 1974 Kellogg's over the weekend. Got a bunch of stuff in the mail when I got home today. I did get rid of a bunch of doubles a little over a year ago. Sold about 150,000 cards for pennies on the dollar. But they went to a guy and his son so I was real happy with that sale. I sold all of them for 75.00 and even delivered them to his house. But I continue to pick up cards I think people on here can use. Most of the time it works out because I have a pretty good idea what some people are looking for. But sometimes it doesn't. I am getting ready to move into a bigger house in Ohio so I will have even more room now. One thing I would like to do is maybe have a trade night at my house with some members in the Ohio area. Does anybody think I should start a thread and ask if anybody would be interested? I know it may be tough with the Covid but I was thinking about sometime in the future.

Thanks,

Bryon

I guess I am in the minority. My collection continues to grow. Picked up some 1974 Kellogg's over the weekend. Got a bunch of stuff in the mail when I got home today. I did get rid of a bunch of doubles a little over a year ago. Sold about 150,000 cards for pennies on the dollar. But they went to a guy and his son so I was real happy with that sale. I sold all of them for 75.00 and even delivered them to his house. But I continue to pick up cards I think people on here can use. Most of the time it works out because I have a pretty good idea what some people are looking for. But sometimes it doesn't. I am getting ready to move into a bigger house in Ohio so I will have even more room now. One thing I would like to do is maybe have a trade night at my house with some members in the Ohio area. Does anybody think I should start a thread and ask if anybody would be interested? I know it may be tough with the Covid but I was thinking about sometime in the future.

Thanks,

Bryon

Thats a great idea Bryon, Im originally from Dayton, OH and there is a lot of collectors and good card shows there. Where I am now is terrible, walmart is the LCS.

Thanks,

Bryon

Bryon -

If I were in your area, I'd come to your trade night. I've given thought to doing that in the Raleigh area too. Maybe we can have a yearly Bench convention, where we can gather in an area, trade, go buy cards, and go to a baseball game or two. Good luck in your new house!

Scobes

Bryon -

If I were in your area, I'd come to your trade night. I've given thought to doing that in the Raleigh area too. Maybe we can have a yearly Bench convention, where we can gather in an area, trade, go buy cards, and go to a baseball game or two. Good luck in your new house!

Scobes

I love that idea!

Thanks,

Bryon
Bryon - A local trade night is a great idea. I've often thought about trying to get a few Benchies together in my NJ area. Or even just meet up midway with another trader. I did join a local group a number of years ago that traded pocket schedules. I had just started collecting so they gave me a few to grow my collection. It was fun so I started writing to MLB teams and getting schedules, postcards and various giveaways.
As for downsizing, I started back about 20 years ago when I realized that I had bought a lot of junk wax cards from the 80's that nobody wanted and they were taking up a lot of space. So I boxed up thousands of cards and donated them to United Way. But that didn't stop me from accumulating more cards. LOL So a few years ago I found a dealer at a card show in North Jersey that bought those big 5K boxes. Sold him a few until recently I learned that he sold all of his inventory and got out of the business. I haven't been to a show since early this year but what I noticed that the busiest dealers (excluding vintage cards) where the ones selling cards in dime boxes. Now I'm looking at selling locally on Craigslist and local bulletin boards.

Bryon - A local trade night is a great idea. I've often thought about trying to get a few Benchies together in my NJ area. Or even just meet up midway with another trader. I did join a local group a number of years ago that traded pocket schedules. I had just started collecting so they gave me a few to grow my collection. It was fun so I started writing to MLB teams and getting schedules, postcards and various giveaways.
As for downsizing, I started back about 20 years ago when I realized that I had bought a lot of junk wax cards from the 80's that nobody wanted and they were taking up a lot of space. So I boxed up thousands of cards and donated them to United Way. But that didn't stop me from accumulating more cards. LOL So a few years ago I found a dealer at a card show in North Jersey that bought those big 5K boxes. Sold him a few until recently I learned that he sold all of his inventory and got out of the business. I haven't been to a show since early this year but what I noticed that the busiest dealers (excluding vintage cards) where the ones selling cards in dime boxes. Now I'm looking at selling locally on Craigslist and local bulletin boards.

I have found that Facebook Marketplace is a really good place to buy and sell cards. Especially in bulk. I have bought quite a bit and sold a little. I also recently set up at a local flea market and got rid of a few boxes. But I always end up coming home with more than I sell. I guess I am just a sucker for a good deal. I am looking forward to going to shows and auctions again whenever things start to open up (maybe). And I now will have the room to actually have a trade night at my house. Hopefully it will happen and it does not become a place for people to just show up and want to sell everything. I really would like to see some trading going on. Maybe it is just a dream, but it will bring back some memories of my youth when trading was a little simpler.

Thanks,

Bryon

What part of Ohio? I'm not too far from the Cincy area and would be interested.

I’ve been trying to downsize by selling on Sportlots but since COVID started I stopped because I don’t go out any more. I’m in the high-risk population due to a kidney transplant. However, when this is over, I’ll try again to get rid of lots of base cards which I do not need and use the proceeds to purchase singles and lots of vintage cards for the sets I building.

Last edited:
Theres a veteran selling used top loaders on ebay....U might want to check him out. Best regards, David

I am a veteran and was also selling used supplies, but I don't think I am the guy you are referring to, as I am not announcing that. I have been trying to downsize for a while now, but this move has actually freed up some real space that selling some cards never did. I do have a lot of bulk cards that I will eventually dump, but still need to finish sorting everything out. I still have stuff coming in, but it is essentially singles, photos and other small flats. Still can't cut the cord entirely yet.

I do want to share though that Covid seems to have stimulated the market for supplies and I have been stashing used shipping supplies for the last 20+ years, thinking I would use them myself. It is taking up too much room and I decided to test the market. With most of that stuff being made in china and the restrictions, the prices of new had skyrocketed. I had no clue until guys on the PSA site were talking about how the card savers were drying up. That turned on the bulb in my head. I get those in packages all the time and don't use them, but never tossed them out.

I started out by offering medium flat rate boxes filled with semi-rigids, toploaders or penny sleeves at auction and I have done quite well. Sold off all the semi-rigids I had (Hate them, never use them for anything) and penny sleeves I had stashed away and working on the toploaders now. Have sold 8 boxes worth of toploaders so far. I had numerous computer paper boxes crammed full of used ones.

My grand total for 14 Priority flat rate boxes of used supplies is $438.46 minus fees, of course! I think there may have been a few more, but my ebay sales are only showing those totals. The market seems to be cooling off, but I got a high of $45 for a box of toploaders. Most of the boxes probably had somewhere in the neighborhood of 500-550 holders of various sizes!

Lately I have been starting a box at $30 (plus s/h). Nobody has bid them up for the last couple sales, but I have sold each one at that opening price. If anyone needs used TLs (various card point sizes, but majority are standard card thickness), I can still fill several more flat rate boxes. The domestic delivered price would be $47 PP.

I am a veteran and was also selling used supplies, but I don't think I am the guy you are referring to, as I am not announcing that. I have been trying to downsize for a while now, but this move has actually freed up some real space that selling some cards never did. I do have a lot of bulk cards that I will eventually dump, but still need to finish sorting everything out. I still have stuff coming in, but it is essentially singles, photos and other small flats. Still can't cut the cord entirely yet.

I do want to share though that Covid seems to have stimulated the market for supplies and I have been stashing used shipping supplies for the last 20+ years, thinking I would use them myself. It is taking up too much room and I decided to test the market. With most of that stuff being made in china and the restrictions, the prices of new had skyrocketed. I had no clue until guys on the PSA site were talking about how the card savers were drying up. That turned on the bulb in my head. I get those in packages all the time and don't use them, but never tossed them out.

I started out by offering medium flat rate boxes filled with semi-rigids, toploaders or penny sleeves at auction and I have done quite well. Sold off all the semi-rigids I had (Hate them, never use them for anything) and penny sleeves I had stashed away and working on the toploaders now. Have sold 8 boxes worth of toploaders so far. I had numerous computer paper boxes crammed full of used ones.

My grand total for 14 Priority flat rate boxes of used supplies is $438.46 minus fees, of course! I think there may have been a few more, but my ebay sales are only showing those totals. The market seems to be cooling off, but I got a high of $45 for a box of toploaders. Most of the boxes probably had somewhere in the neighborhood of 500-550 holders of various sizes!

Lately I have been starting a box at $30 (plus s/h). Nobody has bid them up for the last couple sales, but I have sold each one at that opening price. If anyone needs used TLs (various card point sizes, but majority are standard card thickness), I can still fill several more flat rate boxes. The domestic delivered price would be $47 PP.

This is unbelievable. I just sold half a trash bag full last week for 5.00 at a flea market. They were all top loaders and penny sleeves. I have thrown all the semi rigid holders in the garbage when I get them. I bet I still have a large tote filled with this stuff. But it is all packed up because I am moving a couple weeks.