Beckett is just plain crazy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PRosefan1

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
The 2020 topps #392 Luis Robert bv went down overnight. From 5 to 4 bucks. Try buying one for that.

They literally have the Bowman rc priced higher at 6. They are selling for just a couple of bucks each. Almost everybody wants flagship rookies. Im glad I just collect and stash. Let my kids sell it all when im dead.

Beckett has been dead for a long time. Works well as a checklist but not as far as market pricing. Pulled a Robert gold out of Topps ser 2....books 20 with a down arrow. Sells for 250+

Collecting rookies is not that simple.....most don't make it......I use to be pretty good... like most people ... with Mike Trout or Albert Pujols or Ichiro first started I collected their cards! After that I became an inset collector of low serial cards from the 1990 till now....maybe one day...the Luis card will be worth over 1,000.00 or .99 cent only time will tell his history. Best regards, David

Beckett is way behind the times when it comes to pricing. They appear not to use sale data at all to come up with their values. Good guide to use for base/inserts etc. but the price going down on Robert makes no sense at all to me. His Topps RC should be the highest booking base RC he has by a far margin.

Eric

This is one of the reasons why I dont use BV when pricing cards to sell. While I haven't made many sales here, have been having success through other outlets with that approach.

The thing that I don't understand and it really gripes me is that they can't even keep their own prices straight. The prices on OPG and the magazine are consistently different. AAAARRRRRGGGGG!!!!!

You tell me??? When you have the most recent published issue and it differs (and sometimes vastly different) from what is on the OPG I'm confused.

My point is that the "most recent published issue" lags in time behind the OPG. How long that lag is, I do not know. Now, whether that accounts, at least in part, for differences in values is, in my opinion, is a logical explanation. I cannot speculate about "vastly different" values, but also point out that the cards referenced are all of "hot prospects" where there is always volatility in value.

opg updates daily (they actually state it updates in real time but thats not exactly accurate) while the print guide updates once a month and was always generally 6 weeks behind....

The 2020 topps #392 Luis Robert bv went down overnight. From 5 to 4 bucks. Try buying one for that.
Anyone know what Beckett is using these days (of COVID-19) for there pricing trends? I think they used to use sales from card shows and conventions. I'm guessing that has been limited with the various states moving thru as 'hot zones'. And I guess that is why everyone now is using eBay, Amazon and COMC as pricing guides. Or just how bad does someone want a given card? Also, what impact is this shortened baseball season having on card values?

Luis Robert 2020 Topps Series 2 just jumped up to $30 today. So in the past week it was $5 down to $4 and way up to $30...

opg updates daily (they actually state it updates in real time but thats not exactly accurate) while the print guide updates once a month and was always generally 6 weeks behind....

Here is one case and point that I am constantly aware of because I have had multiple attempts by one individual to obtain the card and others have inquired about it. Plus, it seems that recently I am constantly being "corrected" by people with OPG on prices when trying to complete a deal. (some I've been on the high end and some on the low end) I have and always had a subscription to the magazine, so my prices are what I would also consider fairly current.

Here is the example
2017 Topps High Tek (been out for 3 years)
the magazine lists pattern #5 (shatter) as having a 2.5 multiplier
base Mike Trout $10 x 2.5 = $25
according to OPG it is listed at $20 on the site.

Now I know that $5 isn't going to make or break anyone. Its just the principle of the matter. Is it $25 or $20 ?!? And if it is $20 then why do all of the other cards have the 2.5 multiplier?

Rant over...sorry

You think that's crazy. When I first got this auto it booked at $600.00. Then on June 28th 2020 it now books at $150.00

2015 Topps Tier One Autographs #TOAKB Kris Bryant/75