Mark Wing's Condition Guide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Wing

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Some time ago, I created a condition guide and put it on my web page.

http://www.markwing.com/baseball/conditionguide.php

It includes examples of cards at each grade. The reason I was created the guide was because I was getting too many cards in trade that were significantly overgraded. Since creating the guide, I have had no problems.

Feel free to use it in your own vintage trading.

Mark

Don't know why nobody has replied to this thread to say thanks?

Well, either way, thanks a ton, Mark. This really helped me.

Ted

I just had to send this card back to this eBay seller. White borders in a scan tend to blend into the background, but this card had 4 dinged corners! the two on the right side were so bad you could see layering an eighth of an inch into the card.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5168482334&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

It's nice to have a visual reference, I still think you need a good example of EX since I would classify the Brooks AS as VG+ to VGEX and the Mays as VG-

I have my 1954 Bowman Willie Mays graded a "6" EXMT and I've had vintage examples graded "4"s and "5"s to help me along, unfortunately some people think that they can give some liberty because the card is so old.

James,

I was planning on replacing a couple of the scans. I think I now have some better examples and am going to try to offer more than one example at the lower grades. I will let you know when I do that.

Mark

survives the 1 year old thread!!!

how do you calculate centering, and on new cards what is BGS9.5/10 centering?

I usually just eyeball it. I compare the width of the edges on each side. For example, if one side is double the size of the other, it is 67/33. If I am feeling really ****, I may measure it with a ruler.

I don't know was the BGS rules are. I am sure you can find in on the Beckett web page.

Mark

okay so say one side is 67 mm and the other is 30 mm the thing is 67/30 centering?

New to the site, but I just read this and love it. I also feel people typically overgrade their cards. I usually just require scans now. This is a great tool for people to use. Thanks!

Good effort, I like it. Pictures definitely help. My suggestions would be to add a Vg-Ex category since this is prevalent in 1950s-1960s cards and also to point out that Excellent condition cards may not have a crease at all! Thanks