Review 09 Topps Mayo Football

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hdjstuff

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
09 Topps Mayo Football​

24 packs per box - 8 cards per pack
'1 Autograph & 1 Relic in Every Box!'

At this writing, there is no info on the Topps website.... www.topps.com

I received the following:

Base Cards
144 unique base cards - no duplications!!
jpg154.jpg

This issue is printed on stiff white stock. The front is in color with gold frame and printing. The reverse - gold with white printing - VERY GOOD looking back to a card. So far this year, the back of this card would be in the top 2 that I have seen or reviewed... impressive.

The base set has a number of non-football cards - including politicians, presidents, corporate moguls, entertainers, retired NFL players, and other selected athletes. The base set consists of 330 cards.

Inserts

Parallel (Silver)

jpg155.jpg

This parallel is about 3 times as thick as the base card and has a silver back.

I received 22 unique cards.

Mini Parallels

Black & White

14 unique and 1 duplication

jpg156.jpg

Gold Mini Parallel

jpg157.jpg

#270 K. Young - Olympian
#294 G. Johnson

Color Mini parallels

jpg158.jpg

jpg159.jpg

NFL13 Titans
WF6 T. Edison
WF14 Frederick Law Olmsted
USG 36 B. Berry
USG 39 D. Carcieri
CC 5 Henry Ford

Mayo Back Color Mini parallel

jpg160.jpg

jpg161.jpg

Royal - Denver - no #

Box Topper

jpg162.jpg

L. Tomlinson

Game Used

jpg163.jpg

Mark Sanchez

Autograph

jpg164.jpg

Jackie Joiner-Kersee

Topps Mayo NFL - I like this football set. I especially like the reverse of the base set... IMHO - a very classy look. This should be a good issue for the player collector - with mini parallels and silver parallels to chase. The set collector should not have too much trouble assembling the set - not sure if there are SP's or not in the set and if there are, how many are inserted in each box... as soon as I find out, I will post here on The Bench.

The parallel collectors out there might have a little hill to climb with this issue - especially the mini set collectors - could prove to be a long pursuit.

If I have a gripe - it's the name of the set - Topps Mayo Cut Plug - 'Mayo's Cut Plug is Always Good' -- I know that there are desires to make the set as authentic as possible, but with the push to make all forms of tobacco evil - this seems to be a no brainer. Just call it 'Mayo Football'...

The auto I received is Jackie Joiner-Kersee - a blue Sharpee sticker auto - the card is designed for a sticker and it is done well - not really sure what, if anything, JJK has to do with football, but the auto is good looking!

Overall grade A+ good looking cards!!

Go buy several boxes and send all of the Michael Crabtree (Texas Tech NFL 49er holdout) to me - parallels and all!!

Duane

Funny. At a quick glance at the silver parallel images, I'd assumed that they were the same card. I thought, "That doesn't look like an 'Andre Brown'." :)

Pull 95 Tesla, 103 Hines Ward, 122 Jerry Rice or 125 Joe Montana? Could use any or all.

Funny. At a quick glance at the silver parallel images, I'd assumed that they were the same card. I thought, "That doesn't look like an 'Andre Brown'." :)

Pull 95 Tesla, 103 Hines Ward, 122 Jerry Rice or 125 Joe Montana? Could use any or all.

President Harrison is glad you know the difference!

95 Tesla and 125 Montana are yours.

Duane

Baseball - 255, 263, 281, 290 are yours

Mind - sorry no Terry Bradshaw but I do have an Ahmad Bradshaw (upstart from Marshall!)

Duane

I am slightly familiar with this Ahmad Bradshaw kid...he's got a broken foot from kickin' all that butt...lol.

Nice review Duane, as always. I'm not sure what to think of this product. It just seems like a rip off of A&G. I would be really PO'ed if I bought a box of football product and pulled a Jackie Joiner-Kersee as the only auto.

Did you pull any of these?

37 59 234 276 295 329

-Brett

they are very nice.... The Sanchez is very nice card.. the green looks so bright on these cards!!

Christopher

Hi Duane,

Nice review. I like the clean, simple design of these cards. Did you happen to pull any of these which may be available?

24, 130, 211, 287, 304

Thanks,
John