1986 Jordan Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Inthezonerr

Bench Warmer
Hi everyone-
I have never posted before, and have never sent any cards in to be graded.
I am looking for thoughts on this card?
Should I send it in to be graded?
If so, what is the best approach?
What kind of grade do you think it will get?
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate it.
9A509119-7230-4553-8D83-19DC790F5011.jpegDE7374B1-66CA-42E2-83C0-C7099FA7A131.jpeg212B085F-F04E-45D7-8788-AE9F31D8464D.jpeg2C92CBE7-F9B0-4FCB-A17D-D2334C14053C.jpegA748C313-9BBA-4D55-B69E-B833BFFC4502.jpeg330CEB1F-8B77-4B8E-9097-2FDDAF0BD221.jpeg2E3B74BF-148A-4794-B36E-2020986140D5.jpeg7C04A284-F6E0-4F92-8A12-E36A487B833B.jpeg

I have 2 of them that have been sent in. There are a ton of fakes out there so that would be reason #1, protection #2, and number 3 is value. Your card looks pretty good but if you put it on ebay it is a ungraded card, no matter what the grade it will sell. My second one looks real bad and the guy selling it for me explained even if it gets a 1 or 0 it sell sell because it has been authenticated.

I have 2 of them that have been sent in. There are a ton of fakes out there so that would be reason #1, protection #2, and number 3 is value. Your card looks pretty good but if you put it on ebay it is a ungraded card, no matter what the grade it will sell. My second one looks real bad and the guy selling it for me explained even if it gets a 1 or 0 it sell sell because it has been authenticated.
Thank you for taking time to reply to my “rookie” questions.
I am so excited to have put my hands on this card. When I bought it I also bought every other year fleer made Jordan cards as well as all of the stickers.
When my mom was sick the care taker we hired to help stole both my mine and my sisters jewelry boxes which is where I originally had all of the cards.
This morning I found this in a wooden box where I put all my favorite cards.
The rest of the cards and stickers and sentimental jewelry is gone but at least I have this.
At the end of the day I realize it’s all stuff and we can’t take it with us although finding it was really exciting.

Couple more “rookie” questions-
What does everyone think regarding authenticity?
Based on where I got this card and some of the research I have done regarding authenticity
I believe it is authentic and I am really hoping it is.
I have been reading about sending cards in to be graded and I am a little confused with what the best way to submit them is and how to determine what I should expect to pay for it to be graded.
Thanks
Reilley

I would send it in, that card looks really good. If it isn't a fake you are looking at least 15-20,000 card. It will be a hefty cost for the grading but well worth it.

Thanks for all of your input. I have a lot of questions, hopefully others will chime in.
thanks again for your time

@Inthezonerr

Reilley,

First off, welcome to the Bench! We are the best community anywhere online, glad to have a new member!

Secondly, so sorry to hear about your situation, it is awful to get anything stolen, especially under those circumstances.

Thirdly, NICE CARD! That is a very sharp example of that card, and it looks legit based on your photos, so I would hope for your sake and everyone else's that it passes. I am not a Jordan collector per se, but my friend is, so I have seen quite a few of his cards, and I have to say that is a fantastic card. I also have not submitted cards for grading, but I would probably send that one in! I think a grade will boost the value, you can go in person, or submit via UPS I believe. PSA has directions of how to submit on their website. I think they tend to be the cards that resell the best, though I have seen Beckett emerge in recent years as a reliable second option. I dont know as much about those two companies since I dont deal with them, so other members on here will better be able to guide you.

Again, hope this ends up being an awesome card for you!

God bless,

Kevin

If you're confident it's real, I would head to PSA.com and submit it via the Super Express ($300) level based on the raw value of $2499-$4999, which is the range for that service level. If it is authentic and it grades the way it looks, I'd say you're looking at a 7 or 8. If it's not real, you just threw $350 (shipping costs included) in the trash. It's going to be very hard to do anything with if it's raw though due to rampant fakes of that card. If you do get a PSA 7 or 8, be prepared to see an upcharge from them but at that point- a couple hundred extra bucks isn't a big deal since they turned your raw piece of cardboard into a $10k+ card. And that's my $0.02. :D

@Inthezonerr

Reilley,

First off, welcome to the Bench! We are the best community anywhere online, glad to have a new member!

Secondly, so sorry to hear about your situation, it is awful to get anything stolen, especially under those circumstances.

Thirdly, NICE CARD! That is a very sharp example of that card, and it looks legit based on your photos, so I would hope for your sake and everyone else's that it passes. I am not a Jordan collector per se, but my friend is, so I have seen quite a few of his cards, and I have to say that is a fantastic card. I also have not submitted cards for grading, but I would probably send that one in! I think a grade will boost the value, you can go in person, or submit via UPS I believe. PSA has directions of how to submit on their website. I think they tend to be the cards that resell the best, though I have seen Beckett emerge in recent years as a reliable second option. I dont know as much about those two companies since I dont deal with them, so other members on here will better be able to guide you.

God bless,

Kevin
@Inthezonerr

Reilley,

God bless,

Kevin
Kevin-
I hope you are having a good day!
Thank you for taking time to reply and for your kind words. It is so sad that there are people who are so dishonest and cruel. Like I said it is only “stuff” however the jewelry & a few other things was very sentimental stuff that we can not replace. I wish I could have given it all away to keep my mom here with us. Nonetheless, Finding the card was a surprise and brought back many memories. My mom is the one that gave me the courage & confidence to buy it. It took me 5 days to make the decision to buy the card. The guy wrote on the receipt that if at any point in mine or his lifetime I got it graded and it was fake he would refund me. The receipt was in the stolen jewelry box but I am not worried about it even if it is fake. Regardless finding it has brought back such great memories and I am happy with that.
I am doing research as far as getting it graded and if I ever get the courage to send it in the mail I will let you know how it goes. I did find a few other neat cards that I had taken out of the jewelry box, I will post pics a little later.
Thanks again-
Reilley

If you're confident it's real, I would head to PSA.com and submit it via the Super Express ($300) level based on the raw value of $2499-$4999, which is the range for that service level. If it is authentic and it grades the way it looks, I'd say you're looking at a 7 or 8. If it's not real, you just threw $350 (shipping costs included) in the trash. It's going to be very hard to do anything with if it's raw though due to rampant fakes of that card. If you do get a PSA 7 or 8, be prepared to see an upcharge from them but at that point- a couple hundred extra bucks isn't a big deal since they turned your raw piece of cardboard into a $10k+ card. And that's my $0.02. :D
Zack-

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts I really appreciate it.

I am in the process of doing some research on the grading process. I am very hesitant to send the card in the mail but I am sure I will get the courage to send it once I learn more about the process and feel a little more educated on everything.

Have you ever taken a card in person?

If it turns out to be fake will they send the card back to me?

If it is fake I would still like to have the card simply b/c of the memories it brings back.

Thanks again for your time-

Zack-

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts I really appreciate it.

I am in the process of doing some research on the grading process. I am very hesitant to send the card in the mail but I am sure I will get the courage to send it once I learn more about the process and feel a little more educated on everything.

Have you ever taken a card in person?

If it turns out to be fake will they send the card back to me?

If it is fake I would still like to have the card simply b/c of the memories it brings back.

Thanks again for your time-
I am in the process of doing some research on the grading process. I am very hesitant to send the card in the mail but I am sure I will get the courage to send it once I learn more about the process and feel a little more educated on everything. Insure it! Take good pictures of the card for your records, video yourself dropping it off at the post office and you should be covered.

Have you ever taken a card in person? No, but I know some people do that.

If it turns out to be fake will they send the card back to me? Yes, I believe they do send it back.

If it is fake I would still like to have the card simply b/c of the memories it brings back

Check the right side edge of your card and see if you can see little hairlike fuzzies along the edge. I have read that if the card is real, those fuzzies will be there since Fleer's cutting on this set was of poor quality.

And do you have other 1986-97 Fleer cards or just the Jordan? If you have other 1986-87 Fleer cards I'd feel pretty good that it is real.

99% sure that's an authentic one...not seeing it in hand but it has all the right features. Offcenter left to right, slight chipping on borders. No possible way that is above a 7, probably lower.

BTW, I'd love to have a PSA 1 Jordan. Never held one before.

Kevin-
I hope you are having a good day!
Thank you for taking time to reply and for your kind words. It is so sad that there are people who are so dishonest and cruel. Like I said it is only “stuff” however the jewelry & a few other things was very sentimental stuff that we can not replace. I wish I could have given it all away to keep my mom here with us. Nonetheless, Finding the card was a surprise and brought back many memories. My mom is the one that gave me the courage & confidence to buy it. It took me 5 days to make the decision to buy the card. The guy wrote on the receipt that if at any point in mine or his lifetime I got it graded and it was fake he would refund me. The receipt was in the stolen jewelry box but I am not worried about it even if it is fake. Regardless finding it has brought back such great memories and I am happy with that.
I am doing research as far as getting it graded and if I ever get the courage to send it in the mail I will let you know how it goes. I did find a few other neat cards that I had taken out of the jewelry box, I will post pics a little later.
Thanks again-
Reilley

Reilley, once again, so sorry to know of your mom's passing, and what a special tribute that you would give anything away to keep her here, that is really nice. I am glad to know that even though it is just "stuff" as you said, the things we have and the memories that accompany these things are what makes the memories that much more special!

Would love to see the other cards you found, how cool!

Blessings,

Kevin

Check the right side edge of your card and see if you can see little hairlike fuzzies along the edge. I have read that if the card is real, those fuzzies will be there since Fleer's cutting on this set was of poor quality.

And do you have other 1986-97 Fleer cards or just the Jordan? If you have other 1986-87 Fleer cards I'd feel pretty good that it is real.
Hi-
I hope you are having a good a day.

It’s hard to tell about the fuzzies on the side of the card. I don’t want to take it out of the case b/c I am afraid of damaging it.

I do not have any other 1986 cards, however when I bought this the guy also included the rest of the fleet Jordan cards 1987,88,etc. He also included all of the stickers including the 1986, however those cards were in the jewelry box that got stolen so I don’t have them anymore.

Thank you for taking time to help me.
Reilley

99% sure that's an authentic one...not seeing it in hand but it has all the right features. Offcenter left to right, slight chipping on borders. No possible way that is above a 7, probably lower.

BTW, I'd love to have a PSA 1 Jordan. Never held one before.
Hi
Thank you for your input. I am glad to hear you think it is real.

I have tried to look at some graded cards on eBay to compare mine but it seems difficult to figure out what causes one card to get a 5 or 6 versus what leads to others getting a 7 or 8. Some of them have features that maybe obvious but a lot of them it’s hard for me to tell the difference.

I have never had anything graded so I am just beginning to try and educate myself and learn about the entire process.

Again thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I really appreciate you and everyone else that has taken time to reply.
-Reille

I have tried to look at some graded cards on eBay to compare mine but it seems difficult to figure out what causes one card to get a 5 or 6 versus what leads to others getting a 7 or 8. Some of them have features that maybe obvious but a lot of them it’s hard for me to tell the difference.
I'm with you on the reasons why cards are graded one way or another. I was looking at a PSA 4 1966 Topps Mickey Mantle and a PSA 1 1958 Topps Mickey Mantle All Star and I was not the only one who could not tell the difference. Both were low grade and why anyone would have sent these in to get graded is beyond me. My "expert" grade on both cards was they were "low grade Mantles" probably worth 10 to 20% of high book.

I'm anti grading except for certain cards. Your 1986-87 Fleer Jordan would be one I'd want to get graded, not for the grade itself, but to make sure it was authentic. Anything above and beyond that, I can handle myself. Cards like early 50s Mantles, Gretzky RCs, Star Co Jordans and the like are the type of cards I'd want to be graded for authenticity issues.

If you are EXTREMELY sure that the Jordan is real, I'd send it in to get graded and more importantly authentixzed. If you are not certain it is not a fake, don't send it in.

I'm with you on the reasons why cards are graded one way or another. I was looking at a PSA 4 1966 Topps Mickey Mantle and a PSA 1 1958 Topps Mickey Mantle All Star and I was not the only one who could not tell the difference. Both were low grade and why anyone would have sent these in to get graded is beyond me. My "expert" grade on both cards was they were "low grade Mantles" probably worth 10 to 20% of high book.

I'm anti grading except for certain cards. Your 1986-87 Fleer Jordan would be one I'd want to get graded, not for the grade itself, but to make sure it was authentic. Anything above and beyond that, I can handle myself. Cards like early 50s Mantles, Gretzky RCs, Star Co Jordans and the like are the type of cards I'd want to be graded for authenticity issues.

If you are EXTREMELY sure that the Jordan is real, I'd send it in to get graded and more importantly authentixzed. If you are not certain it is not a fake, don't send it in.
@SymphonicMetal
Jeff, I concur, some cards need to be graded given the current state of the market!

@Inthezonerr I just came across this thread, another point in favor to send your card in:

Blessings,

Kevin