2011 Spring Training

degbowl

5.00 star(s)
I know it is early but I have to put in for vacation by the end of November for next year. I have never been to spring training before and would like some advice. I am looking to see the Mets but would like to see more than one spring training site. Is there a better time to go down to Florida? I would think not too early in camp but not too late either. I would also like advice on places to stay and if I should bring some cards down to get autographed. I can keep going but you get the idea. Any good advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Jimmy

jaxbraves

5.00 star(s)
I would get a map of the team sites and then wait for the schedules to come out. Then map the games out that you would like to see. I live in Jacksonville and do not get to as many games as I would like, but that is another story.
Also watch the weather, it maybe Florida but we can get cold sometimes. There are plenty of hotels or motels near the various parks but I would book them as soon as I knew as in some areas the rooms go fast. Tampa, Lakeland, Orlando and Kissimmee are all vary close for driving if you are renting a car. And of course bring cards to get signed. The Walt Disney complex for the Braves I have had no luck with autoghraphs. But no problem with the others I mentioned.

Rich

Last edited:

Champs96ws

Bench Founder
5.00 star(s)
Stay in the Tampa/St. Pete area or Orlando area. There are a lot more teams close to each other in these areas. The Mets facility is way south and out of the way. If you want to watch the Mets check the schedule and see when they will play in the area you are staying.

I tend to go down around the 3rd week of March, the regulars are in the game a bit longer. As for auto's, most of the facilities down there have practice fields and players are scattered everywhere, get there early.

degbowl

5.00 star(s)
Thanks for the reply. When do the spring training schedules come out? I found 2011 regular season schedule but not for spring training. I will be renting a car. I will book hotels as soon as I can plan out what games I am going to see. Do you just keep cards in a binder then ask them to sign? I know they probably sign for kids but I'm 43. I don't know if they would just ignore me and sign for kids.

degbowl

5.00 star(s)
Thanks Pete! That sounds like good advice. I did more research and other people said to not stay in pt st lucie. I might stay in Orlando. I still would like to drive and see what the Mets facility looks like. I would just spend most of the time in Orlando. Thanks!

Jimmy

CYmarlins

5.00 star(s)
i tend to go near the mid to end of March when the regulars start playing more and cuts are being made. if i wanna catch a auto of a good prospect or non roster invitee i will go earlier in spring training.

i go to see the Florida Marlins in jupiter. usually i end up seeing them face the Cardinals but its a thrill for me because getting a baseball or just getting access to the players is easy. best seats and cheapest are the bleacher for $10 u cant go wrong!

depending on where u go, just do ur homework and arrive early and u should be fine.