2015 Topps Series 1 FT, Wants, Initial Impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bonzomoretti

HOF
5.00 star(s)
Stayed up late last night sorting a couple Jumbo boxes. Put my want and trade lists together and am ready to go. I did get my Mets base set complete but got very few other Mets in my boxes.

First impressions of the cards are that while I do like the non-white borders, I thought the photography of this years cards is unimpressive. The last couple of years Topps had done a great job of catching some great live-action shots and players during "down" times. This year, I got very bored looking at these cards as it seems every picture on the cards is the same shot. The player is depicted from the knees up either throwing a pitch if he's a pitcher or swinging or running if a hitter. Every card looked the same to me. I thought the set lacks creativity. There is the Mike Trout card of him sliding into a base that is very cool but I feel like I have seen this picture before. Perhaps a previous years card had a similar picture of him.
I also have a ton of cards that seem to have different color backs or perhaps Topps was running out of ink and the backs are tinted. Anyone else notice this?
BORING! Anyway, on to trading...

I have a complete base set for trade and every single base card for trade plus these:
SP- 177 Konerko(chw) photo var.
Rainbow Foils- 19baltimore, 58gattis(atl), 145hahn(sd), 176abreu(chw), 179vargas(kc), 205harrison(pit), 207harper(was), 213weaver(ang), 224mitchell(nyy), 234belt(sf), 254cishek(mia), 273hicks(sf), 332seager(sea), 348santana(clv).
Gold (x/2015)- 23bourn(clv), 28cobb(tb), 95lake(chc), 96santos(tor), 184upton(atl), 200miggy(det), 224mitchell(nyy), 278phelps(nyy), 307teixeira(nyy), 315baez(chc).
Pink(x/50)- 120cespedes(bos)
Gallery of Greats- GG-1kershaw, 13hanram, 17pujols, 25gwynn
Highlight of the Year- H-1gehrig, 3ruth, 4 7 8williams, 9 10 12 13 15+ 16+ 17ryan, 18+ 19+ 20 21 23 24+jeter, 25 26 27+ripken, 29+
Inspired Play- I-1+machado/ripken, 2cano/griff, 3 4+ 5 6+ 7 8 10 12thomas/abreu, 13+ 14
First Pitch- 1 2 3 5 7+ 8 9+ 10 11+ 12 15
History of Baseball- 2a 3a+ 4bwilliams, 5a mlk, 5b 7a+ 7b 10b 11a+ 13b 14bryan, 15b+griffey
Robbed in...- R6 10 14+trout
1st Home Run- FHR-2 4 5jeter, 7 8+ 11 14puig, 16 17 20 23 24 25 27+ 30 32 33 36 37
Free Agent 40- F40-1pujols, 2 3 4ryan, 5+ 6 7 8 10 11 13+ 14 15
Archetypes- A-2 3+ 4trout, 5puig, 6 7 8+stanton, 9posey, 10+ruth, 12+jeter, 13ripken, 14ryan, 16 18williams, 19pujols, 20 21+robinson, 22aaron, 23+mays, 24 25griffey

Topps Originals- '72 #183melton(chw), '66 82hendley(chc), '70 391brown(clv), '74 516pena(oak)
Relic- Career Highs- CRH-GSN Stanton, JT Teheran
Future Stars Commemorative Pin- FS-09 Roark,
Batter Logo Pin- MSBL-04 Ortiz(bos)
1st Home Run Medallion- FHRM-AJ Adam Jones (sea), FF Freeman(atl), MC Carpenter(stl)
AUTO- Career Highs- CH-AS ASanchez(tor), SMA Marte(pit)

Looking for these Mets inserts and parallels:
2015 Topps Series 1 Mets Wants:
Sparkle SP- 83wright, 149murphy
Gold- 4grandy, 24nymets, 83wright, 129degrom, 133diceK, 149murph, 166mejia, 173torres, 237duda, 241herrera, 244colon, 263gee, 306lagares, 313lg leaders
Rainbow Foil- 4grandy, 24nymets, 83wright, 129degrom, 133diceK, 149murph, 166mejia, 173torres, 199young, 236wheeler, 237duda, 241herrera, 244colon, 263gee, 306lagares, 313lg leaders.
Any other parallel.

Inserts
Gallery of Greats- GG-6piazza
Baseball History- 6b Seaver,
First Pitch- FP-14 50cent
First Home Run- FHR-03 wright
MLB Silhouetted Batter Logo Pin- MSBL-03 Wright
Future Star Pin- FS-06 deGrom
Baseball History Stamps- BH-DS Strawberry, TS Seaver
Any GU and Autos of Mets (Piazza, deGrom, Seaver)

I know most of you have not gotten or sorted your cards yet but keep me in mind for any Mets you come across. Send me your want lists when ready. Thanks. Mike

Last edited:
Mike,
Nice review, I have only opened a few retail blasters so far and have not really had time to look at them in detail yet. I will be opening my 2 hobby boxes and 1 jumbo on Saturday and Kathy will be opening the same so I should have lots to trade with then, would you mind holding to cards until Saturday evening?
1st Home Run Medallion- FHRM-AJ Adam Jones (sea)
Rainbow Foils- 19baltimore
There are others that I am interested in but those are the two that I am mainly interested in. PLMK either way.
Thanks,
Trish

I'm going to agree with your take on these. The action shots are particularly good (just not enough of them), and the non-uniform borders are a nice change of pace. The coloration on some teams (A's, Rockies, etc) look pretty neat.

Mike,
Nice review, I have only opened a few retail blasters so far and have not really had time to look at them in detail yet. I will be opening my 2 hobby boxes and 1 jumbo on Saturday and Kathy will be opening the same so I should have lots to trade with then, would you mind holding to cards until Saturday evening?
There are others that I am interested in but those are the two that I am mainly interested in. PLMK either way.
Thanks,
Trish
They are on hold for you Trish. Good luck with your boxes. You should get a complete base set from your Jumbo.

I'm going to agree with your take on these. The action shots are particularly good (just not enough of them), and the non-uniform borders are a nice change of pace. The coloration on some teams (A's, Rockies, etc) look pretty neat.
David, I don't know what it is about these cards but they got monotonous to look at as I was sorting. Was it the borders? Was it the similar photography on each card? I think it was both. Did the borders take away from the photography? I have always like the "pure card" look (1957 Topps and early Bowman) so perhaps it is just me. I really liked the photography from the last couple years. My favorite cards were the Jason Kipnis being taken out at second base turning a double play (his body is parallel to the ground like Bobby Orr's 1972 Stanley cup goal) and the one of Josh Reddicks over the wall catch from 2014. I didn't see anything that stood out like those did for me in this years product.

Mike,
Not much Mets in my boxes but I have the following:
Rainbow Foil #133
Gold # 306
First Pitch #FP-14
1st HR #FHR-03
1st HR Medallion Wright
Thanks,
Trish

Mike -

I pulled the David Wright MLB logo pin relic. Would you trade this for it - Batter Logo Pin- MSBL-04 Ortiz(bos)? Also interested in the Jeter First HR card. I have the 50 Cent First Pitch card as well as an Inspirations Seaver/Harvey and Archetypes Piazza if those interest you. LMK what you might want to do.

Thanks,

Jeff

Mike,
Not much Mets in my boxes but I have the following:
Rainbow Foil #133
Gold # 306
First Pitch #FP-14
1st HR #FHR-03
1st HR Medallion Wright
Thanks,
Trish
Trish, can still use these :
Rainbow Foil #133
Gold # 306
1st HR #FHR-03
1st HR Medallion Wright

We can do the Jones for the Wright and the O's team rainbow for the #133 rainbow. I did add a few more to my Trade bait list if you want to look for some others. LMK, Thanks again.
Mike,I am interested in the Cespedes Pink /50
I have these 2015 Topps Mets to choose from
Black #263 Gee /64
Gold #166
GG-6 Piazza
6-B
FP-14
Rainbow #4,#24
send me aPM or email me at [email protected]
Tom, I have no interest in the black/64's. Thanks for offering.
Mike -

I pulled the David Wright MLB logo pin relic. Would you trade this for it - Batter Logo Pin- MSBL-04 Ortiz(bos)? Also interested in the Jeter First HR card. I have the 50 Cent First Pitch card as well as an Inspirations Seaver/Harvey and Archetypes Piazza if those interest you. LMK what you might want to do.

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff, I've picked up the $.50 First Pitch card but can use the others. Check my trade bait for Bosox you might be able to use.

Thanks everyone, Mike

Trish, can still use these :
Rainbow Foil #133
Gold # 306
1st HR #FHR-03
1st HR Medallion Wright

We can do the Jones for the Wright and the O's team rainbow for the #133 rainbow. I did add a few more to my Trade bait list if you want to look for some others. LMK, Thanks again.

Tom, I have no interest in the black/64's. Thanks for offering.

Jeff, I've picked up the $.50 First Pitch card but can use the others. Check my trade bait for Bosox you might be able to use.

Thanks everyone, Mike
Okay how about this?

For you - Wright pin, Inspirations Seaver/Harvey, Archetypes Piazza

For me - Ortiz pin, First Home Run Jeter, Free Agent 40 Ortiz

If that works, go ahead and post it. If not, LMK what you think works.

Thanks,

Jeff

Mike,
I can also use the following:
Gold (x/2015)- 224mitchell(nyy), 278phelps(nyy), 307teixeira(nyy)
Thanks,
Trish
Trish, How's this:
Rainbow Foil #133
Gold # 306
1st HR #FHR-03
1st HR Medallion Wright
For-
Gold (x/2015)- 224mitchell(nyy), 278phelps(nyy)

Post if good...thx
Okay how about this?

For you - Wright pin, Inspirations Seaver/Harvey, Archetypes Piazza

For me - Ortiz pin, First Home Run Jeter, Free Agent 40 Ortiz

If that works, go ahead and post it. If not, LMK what you think works.

Thanks,

Jeff

Posting Jeff. Thx

Trish, How's this:
Rainbow Foil #133
Gold # 306
1st HR #FHR-03
1st HR Medallion Wright
For-
Gold (x/2015)- 224mitchell(nyy), 278phelps(nyy)

Post if good...thx

Posting Jeff. Thx

Jeff, Just realized I had the archetype Piazza AND Seaver/harvey. I cancelled the trade. Would you do:
For me - Wright pin

For you - Ortiz pin

LMK, Thx

Last edited: