2017-18 Panini Silver Prizm scam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gwynn_fan

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Hi Guys
I was listening to the MOJO Breaks podcast. According to them….a bunch of friends and eBayers got together and when 2017-18 Panini Prizm came out started buying all the Silver cards (or maybe just the Silver Prizm Rookies, as I wasn’t buying that much attention to the story yet.)
They were paying anywhere from a buck or two up to $8 or $9 per card. They then listed them on eBay (don’t know the starting prices,) and then the group of them would start bidding up the high bid until all the cards were asking over $100 a card!
After a while, apparently, basketball collectors started taking notice and (without checking to see the print run or rarity of the un-numbered Silver Prizms,) started bidding on them too. Which in a way, legitimized the ebay prices and then Beckett, started listing the Silver Prizms that high, too. This also affected the selling price of the hobby boxes, blasters and packs that were being sold.
But, the truth appears to be, that this is one of the biggest scams ever pulled on collectors!
Appears, you get three to four Silver Prizms per hobby box! Making them about as rare as a Topps Gold card numbered to /2017 and should not have a selling price over $3-4.
Again, this is the gist of what I got from listening to the Mojo Breaks podcast and I may not have all the facts right….but, on the bright side….I don’t collect any new basketball.
Thanks Bob 12-9-17

That is insane - was planning on getting at least a box for my son for Xmas, way out of my league pricewise. And maybe cherrypick some of the players he likes when the market normalizes.