Review 2017 Opening Day

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hdjstuff

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
2017 Opening Day​

36 packs - 7 cards per pack
Look for Autograph and Relic Cards

I received the following in my box:

Base
scan50_zps82kww61u.jpg

Full set of base - 200 cards and 8 duplicates -- EXCELLENT!!

Opening Day is a fun type set. The players seem to come alive a bit more in this set. Other sets the player photos are staged - 99% of these don't seem to be staged.

The overall design of Opening Day is a bit busy on the bottom of the card, but 80% of the card is still dedicated to the player. The reverse is easy to read with personal and pro stats along with some of the minor league stats. A short write up with a highlight or something interesting about the player is also on the reverse.

Foil/Food
Scan52_zpskxjrh4qr.jpg

Foil - 6x -- Foil cards can be a bit difficult to spot immediately. It would be cool if they were numbered, like the gold in the Topps base set.

Food - 8x -- Maybe someone out there can tell me, but I don't remember ball park food cards in the past -- I like them. If Topps wanted to make a buck, how about putting coupons for a free hot dog or a free brat in some of the boxes? Could be inserted regionally and sponsored by either the food manufacturer or the ball park itself....

Mascots
Scan53_zpsdfdiqqqx.jpg

11 Mascots received -- great kids card! -- How about autos from the Mascots?

Opening Day Stars / National Anthem
Scan55_zps61gonk6q.jpg

Mookie Betts - Opening Day Star
Astros - National Anthem

Opening Day / Opening Day Celebrations
Scan51_zpstln4mdh2.jpg

11 Celebrations
6 Opening Day

Opening Day is a great issue for the younger collectors to get them started in collecting. There are more 'fun' type inserts that are not in other sets. One will usually get the entire base set in one box.

In all of my years of opening/cracking boxes, I don't remember ever receiving an auto or a relic in one of these Opening Day boxes... maybe one of you folks have... if so, post it here on this thread. It's still a good box to rip and collate.

I would like to see someone put the foil set together - that would be cool.

Overall grade A

Go buy a box or three and send the Rays parallels to me!

Duane

Thank you for this breakdown was on the edge for this product for my nephew but I believe I will pick up a box for him thank you again