2018 York Sports Night - IP opportunity (2/8/18)

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Every year in York (PA), they have what is called York Sports Night. The first time I attended it, it was probably 9 or 10 years ago - It was $20 to get in and you could get 1 high end autograph and a bunch of mid level guys and than some local stars (IE, PSU football). It was a blast, they had games for kids, giveaways, etc.

Fast forward to the present - price is now $80 to get in. You get in line, march through, get your 2 or 3 autographs and go home. No extras, no hanging out - just pay, meet, leave.

Debating whether or not to go this year -- they have two headline guests -- Luis Tiant and Juan Marichal. And than some guy from Penn State that I have never heard of.

My question is - Are Tiant/Marichal worth $80???

Any and all feedback/input welcomed. Thanks.

reickholt

5.00 star(s)
Twins used to have an outdoor "autograph party" Traveled 8 hours to go up several times. Purchased a $20 autograph ticket and you could go to a table where most had 3-5 individuals ready to sign, no extra fees. Could go to as many tables as the program lasted about ??? (several hours)

fast forward

2 years ago went to Twinsfest at the new stadium. I think the ticket was $25(maybe more) just to get in and then you had to buy an autograph ticket at each and every table. A couple of autographs could have easily cost over $100. OUCH!!!!! Won't go again.

I understand it (the dollars) are for charity but when your making multimillions a year it seems like you could give the "average Joe" a break. They are most likely writing if off as a tax break themselves.

Last edited:

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Twins used to have an outdoor "autograph party" Traveled 8 hours to go up several times. Purchased a $20 autograph ticket and you could go to a table where most had 3-5 individuals ready to sign, no extra fees. Could go to as many tables as the program lasted about (several hours)

fast forward

2 years ago went to Twinsfest at the new stadium. I think the ticket was $25(maybe more) just to get in and then you had to buy an autograph ticket at each and every table. A couple of autographs could have easily cost over $100. OUCH!!!!! Won't go again.

I understand it (the dollars) are for charity but when your making multimillions a year it seems like you could give the "average Joe" a break. They are most likely writing if off a tax break themselves.

That is sort of my feeling as well...when you bump it up to $80, you are pricing the younger fans out of coming.

Still on the fence about going - but if there was someone out there who desperately needed either Tiant or Marichal for a set, I would probably make the trip to take care of it.