2019 RIP Thread

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Hopefully we won't see this thread get to large..keep everyone healthy and happy this year!

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
We lasted until the 2nd day of the new year...RIP 'Mean' Gene Okerlund. The voice of the WWE for many, many years. It is best said using your best Hulk Hogan voice...Well you know Mean Gene.....

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
And another.....RIP Super Dave Osborne. I know he was on a TV show, but can't remember which one, but it was the awesome stunt man side that made him famous.

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
We lasted until the 2nd day of the new year...RIP 'Mean' Gene Okerlund. The voice of the WWE for many, many years. It is best said using your best Hulk Hogan voice...Well you know Mean Gene.....

Or my best Iron Sheik voice....."Gene Mean".

Okurlund was the best at feigning shock and always throwing some smart alecky comment in at the end of the interview. I was just laughing the other day thinking back when he asked Freddie Blassie where he found Kamala the Ugandan Giant and Blassie simply replied in his gravely voice "UGANDA!".

Besides Super Dave Osborne passing away the Captain of the pop duo Captain and Tennile also died today. Not the slow start on this topic you were hoping for.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Or my best Iron Sheik voice....."Gene Mean".

Okurlund was the best at feigning shock and always throwing some smart alecky comment in at the end of the interview. I was just laughing the other day thinking back when he asked Freddie Blassie where he found Kamala the Ugandan Giant and Blassie simply replied in his gravely voice "UGANDA!".

Besides Super Dave Osborne passing away the Captain of the pop duo Captain and Tennile also died today. Not the slow start on this topic you were hoping for.

No kidding, right??? Throw out wishes for a healthy and happy 2019 and the next thing you know...three passings in a day. They always say that bad things tend to come in threes. But definitely RIP Captain. Feel like I remember both he and Tennille doing some guest shots on The Love Boat, as most every B-lister did back in the day.

bblair_2002

5.00 star(s)
Remember Super Dave Osborne fondly as an 10 and 11 year old watching Bizarre on Showtime. Was the first show where I saw boobs on TV.

Getting back to what SymphonicMetal said before,Iron Sheik's voice also popped in my head,calling him "Gene Mean" and I'll always remember him singing Tutti Frutti on the WWF Wrestling Album. I can easily see Gene hanging out with the Brain,Gorilla and Andre up in heaven.

Don't think the Captain and Tennille have performed in quite some time but I do remember Muskrat Love and Love Will Keep Us Together on the radio during the late 70s. I will say Toni Tennille has aged quite gracefully.

All were 70s and 80s pop culture icons and it's a lousy way to start 2019.

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Captain and Tennille were divorced in 2014 and then last year she moved back to take care of him in his last few months. Best regards, David

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
RIP Verna Bloom - passed away at 80 years old. Probably most well known for playing Marion Wormer, the wife of Faber colleges Dean Wormer in Animal House.

Boots

5.00 star(s)
Just saw that Rick Down former batting coach for the NY Mets from 2005 until the 2007 All-Star break, died Thursday at age 68.
RIP.

Boots

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
RIP Verna Bloom - passed away at 80 years old. Probably most well known for playing Marion Wormer, the wife of Faber colleges Dean Wormer in Animal House.

She also played the wife of the hotel owner in Clint Eastwood's "High Plains Drifter" who was the most sympathetic to Clint's character in that flick.. As far as I remember, there were only 2 females that played any significant role in that movie. Interestingly, the other woman played a blonde prostitute and her name was Marianna Hill. Her birth name was Marianna Schwarzkopf and if you are thinking "General Norman Schwarzkopf", that would be her cousin. Marianna Hill was an absolute babe who played a lot of beautiful Mexican senoritas in old Westerns in the late 50s and early 60s. Man, she was smokin' hot and looked nothing like her more famous cousin.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
RIP Mel Stottlemyre - former Yankees pitcher and pitching coach. Passed away at 71?? due to cancer.

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
I certainly remember Mel Stottlemyre as a kid. He was one of the bright spots on the Yankees as they were in decline after their glory years. He and Fritz Peterson were the aces of those late 60s/early 70s teams. I don't remember Gil Downs though. I'll have to look him up since that name des not ring a bell at all.

Bob Kuchenberg, a starting guard for the 1970s Dolphins passed away this week too. He was a starter on the undefeated 1972 team and made the pro bowl on several occasions.

Boots

5.00 star(s)
Downs lived locally, so his obit was in the Albany paper.
I remember Kuchenberg. Wasn't he paired with Larry Little on their great offensive line?
Boots

I certainly remember Mel Stottlemyre as a kid. He was one of the bright spots on the Yankees as they were in decline after their glory years. He and Fritz Peterson were the aces of those late 60s/early 70s teams. I don't remember Gil Downs though. I'll have to look him up since that name des not ring a bell at all.

Bob Kuchenberg, a starting guard for the 1970s Dolphins passed away this week too. He was a starter on the undefeated 1972 team and made the pro bowl on several occasions.