2019 RIP Thread

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
Downs lived locally, so his obit was in the Albany paper.
I remember Kuchenberg. Wasn't he paired with Larry Little on their great offensive line?
Boots

Yep he was on that famous O-line with HOFers Larry Little and Jim Langer. There was a push a few years ago to put him in the HOF also but he fell short.

I just read the obit for Gil Downs and he was a 1st Round pick for the Yankees in 1960. Pretty impressive accomplishment!

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Rest in Peace Carol Channing! 97 years old......Remember her singing Hello Dolly! Best regards, David PS she had a very charming voice!

redbird4

5.00 star(s)
Here are a few others I am aware of:

John Coughlin (American Figure skater)
Jo Andres (Steve Buscemi’s wife)
Shirley Boone (Pat Boone's wife)

RIP all.

Boots

5.00 star(s)
RIP, Dan Orlich, believed to be the oldest Packer, at 94. Played for Curly Lambeau (not to be confused with Curly Howard or Curly Joe DeRita).
WOW, a guy who played decades before any of us was born, has passed.
Wonder if he wore a face mask?
Boots

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
A few months ago my brother and I were talking about the movie "The Creature From the Black Lagoon'" and I surprisingly had never seen the movie in its entirety, only bits and pieces here and there. A few weeks later that movie was played on the hilarious METV show Svengoolie so I made it a point to watch it from beginning to end. I was shocked to see that the female lead, Julie Adams, was still alive and seemingly doing well! Soon after that I saw her guest star on The Rifleman and The Big Valley. She suddenly seemed to be everywhere! Sad to say a month or two later she would pass away.

One trait I have noticed on those classic 1950s Sci-Fi monster movies is that each one had a hot female scientist cast in it like Julie Adams in TCFTBL.. Who knew there was that much talent in the scientific research community?

Boots

5.00 star(s)
Not only was he the first to be MVP in boh leagues, he is the ONLY player to do it, AFAIK.
Also, and perhaps more importantly, first person of color to manage in the Major Leagues.
In the historical context of MLB, he is probably one of the more underrated men. His career in the N.L., which was remarkable, was often overshadowed by Mays, Aaron and Clemente. In the A.L. he really got to shine and show his leadership abilities.
Orioles practically stole him from the Reds (for Milt Pappas) F. Robby showed 'em by winning the Triple Crown AND leading the O's to a World Series Championship!
A tremendous man!
RIP.
And thanks for the heads up Katester; I had not seen this.
RIP Frank Robinson - passed away today at age of 83. Baseball HOF'r. First to be MVP in both AL & NL??

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
I was just thinking the other day that it was nice that the #1, 3 and 4 all time home run hitters of my childhood were still alive. And then sadly I heard about Frank Robinson today. He had just gone to the Orioles when I first became aware of MLB and he was an absolute superstar at that time. Very underrated and I'm sorry to hear of his passing.