2019 RIP Thread

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Rest in Peace Frank Robinson! Best regards, David PS The quizzes.....have the question for Won American league MVP and also won the National League MVP....Frank Robinson

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Not only was he the first to be MVP in boh leagues, he is the ONLY player to do it, AFAIK.
Also, and perhaps more importantly, first person of color to manage in the Major Leagues.
In the historical context of MLB, he is probably one of the more underrated men. His career in the N.L., which was remarkable, was often overshadowed by Mays, Aaron and Clemente. In the A.L. he really got to shine and show his leadership abilities.
Orioles practically stole him from the Reds (for Milt Pappas) F. Robby showed 'em by winning the Triple Crown AND leading the O's to a World Series Championship!
A tremendous man!
RIP.
And thanks for the heads up Katester; I had not seen this.

I forgot about first manager as well....It is a pretty simple heirarchy to me:

1 - Jackie Robinson - broke the color barrier in baseball
2 - Larry Doby -- broke the color barrier in the AL
3 - Frank Robinson - first manager of color in the majors

I love Jackie Robinson day in the majors, and was truly a bit sad when Mariano Rivera retired and took the last active 42 off the field of play. How many guys wear #24 now to honor jackie robinson - 99% sure that at least Robinson Cano does.....

Boots

5.00 star(s)
Agree re: that hierarchy and love of Jackie. I almost cannot fathom what he went through and how he was able to comport himself.
My admiration for him is one reason I'm trying to complete this first (2017) Commemorative Patch set. 70th anniversary.

I forgot about first manager as well....It is a pretty simple heirarchy to me:

1 - Jackie Robinson - broke the color barrier in baseball
2 - Larry Doby -- broke the color barrier in the AL
3 - Frank Robinson - first manager of color in the majors

I love Jackie Robinson day in the majors, and was truly a bit sad when Mariano Rivera retired and took the last active 42 off the field of play. How many guys wear #24 now to honor jackie robinson - 99% sure that at least Robinson Cano does.....

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Rest in Peace British actor Albert Finney! 5 time Oscar nominee....was in James Bond thriller "Sky-Fall".....also played Daddy Warbucks in Annie. Best regards, David

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
RIP Pedro Morales. Another WWE star passes away. At one point held 3 titles - WWF Heavyweight, WWF Intercontinental & WWF Tag Team w/ Bob Backlund. Can't remember him ever being a heel during his time....

Boots

5.00 star(s)
RIP Don Newcombe, former Dodger. First to win cy Young and MVP in the same year.
After his career ended he overcame some personal demons and became influential in helping others battle substance abuse.
Boots

Boots

5.00 star(s)
Don't know how we missed T.J. Cunningham, former Seattle Seahawks DB, who was shot to death in a school parking.
RIP.
Boots

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
RIP Don Newcombe, former Dodger. First to win cy Young and MVP in the same year.
After his career ended he overcame some personal demons and became influential in helping others battle substance abuse.
Boots

Heard about this yesterday driving home from Virginia - RIP Don Newcombe.

Also saw where fashion icon Karl Lagerfeld passed away yesterday as well.

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Don't know how we missed T.J. Cunningham, former Seattle Seahawks DB, who was shot to death in a school parking.
RIP.
Boots
Its been about a year for the shooting at that high school............since then 12,000 more people have been killed by shooting...... Best regards, David

Boots

5.00 star(s)
Not sure which shooting you are referring to. Cunningham was shot 2/18/19.
Boots.
Its been about a year for the shooting at that high school............since then 12,000 more people have been killed by shooting...... Best regards, David

Boots

5.00 star(s)
Thanks for that clarification.
It is a sad state that these shootings seem to have become commonplace. Whether at a school, work, mall or anywhere.
Boots
QUOTE=David K.;3868978]Valentine shooting at Douglas high school in 2018.....Best regards, David[/QUOTE]

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Rest in Peace Peter Tork! Monkees, Gilligans Island, Batman, Superman, I dream of Jeannie....Saturdays were a special time for kids! Best regards, David

Last edited:

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
I was really saddened to hear that Nathaniel Taylor who played Rollo on Sanford and Son passed away a age 80. His character was absolutely hilarious on that iconic 1970s politically incorrect sitcom. I always looked forward to seeing his appearances on that show and he never disappointed.

David K.

5.00 star(s)
I was really saddened to hear that Nathaniel Taylor who played Rollo on Sanford and Son passed away a age 80. His character was absolutely hilarious on that iconic 1970s politically incorrect sitcom. I always looked forward to seeing his appearances on that show and he never disappointed.

Rest in Peace Nathaniel Taylor! Remembered Sanford and Son....and Rollo! Best regards, David