2019 RIP Thread

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Well after a 3 + week hiatus for this topic, Forest Gregg, one of the NFL's all-time greats passed away on April 12. He was a mainstay at tackle for the great Lombardi Packer offensive lines and was a 7 time 1st team All Pro. He was one of the first of those Packer teams o get elected to the Pro Football HOF. He also was a long time coach in the NFL, College and the CFL although his coaching career was not as stellar as his playing career where he always made the NFL All Time teams. He did however coach the Bengals to the 1982 Super Bowl where they lost to the first Joe Montana 49er championship team. He also won NFL coach of the year once which I believe was that same Super Bowl year.

It was a great 3 week break - would be nice if we never had any additions to it....

But RIP Forrest Gregg - many only remember him for coaching the Bengals to the Super Bowl, but forget how great he was as a player. That is why your brief history lessons/reminders are always appreciated!

Boots

5.00 star(s)
Fuzzy Thurston, Jim Ringo, Jerry Kramer, Bob Skoronski...a great offensive line.
Well after a 3 + week hiatus for this topic, Forest Gregg, one of the NFL's all-time greats passed away on April 12. He was a mainstay at tackle for the great Lombardi Packer offensive lines and was a 7 time 1st team All Pro. He was one of the first of those Packer teams o get elected to the Pro Football HOF. He also was a long time coach in the NFL, College and the CFL although his coaching career was not as stellar as his playing career where he always made the NFL All Time teams. He did however coach the Bengals to the 1982 Super Bowl where they lost to the first Joe Montana 49er championship team. He also won NFL coach of the year once which I believe was that same Super Bowl year.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
RIP John Havlicek. Has passed away at 79 years old. Won "only" 8 championships with the Celtics. Great nickname as well - Hondo.

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
RIP John Havlicek. Has passed away at 79 years old. Won "only" 8 championships with the Celtics. Great nickname as well - Hondo.

I saw that and that is a shame. If anyone looked like they were going to live a long, long time it was Havlicek, who was in constant motion when he was on the floor and was in tremendous physical condition. Here is a small excerpt about that in an article about his passing.

There should be a giant key sticking out of his back,” Russell once cracked. “You just wind him up and click-click-click, you put him out there for 48 minutes.”

Mr. Havlicek had no problem being on the floor for the full regulation and beyond.

“I’m ready to go 48 all the time,” he said. “I get to rest on free throws and timeouts.”

Defending Mr. Havlicek, who was continually on the move, was an exhausting assignment

I'm pretty certain he got his nickname Hondo, not form the John Wayne movie, but rather from the 1968 spinoff TV show of the same name. Havlicek looked very much like Ralph Taeger, who played the TV Hondo and nothing like John Wayne the movie Hondo.

Chavezforprez

5.00 star(s)
I can't remember her name (Lorainne something), the woman that all the Conjuring movies are about passed away last week I believe.

From the USS Lincoln,
Billy

Boots

5.00 star(s)
I saw that and that is a shame. If anyone looked like they were going to live a long, long time it was Havlicek, who was in constant motion when he was on the floor and was in tremendous physical condition. Here is a small excerpt about that in an article about his passing.

There should be a giant key sticking out of his back,” Russell once cracked. “You just wind him up and click-click-click, you put him out there for 48 minutes.”

Mr. Havlicek had no problem being on the floor for the full regulation and beyond.

“I’m ready to go 48 all the time,” he said. “I get to rest on free throws and timeouts.”

Defending Mr. Havlicek, who was continually on the move, was an exhausting assignment

I'm pretty certain he got his nickname Hondo, not form the John Wayne movie, but rather from the 1968 spinoff TV show of the same name. Havlicek looked very much like Ralph Taeger, who played the TV Hondo and nothing like John Wayne the movie Hondo.

Woody Page suggested on "Around The Horn" that the NBA's Sixth Man Award be named in honor of him, and I think that's a great idea. Auerbach used him that way and he excelled.
RIP Hondo! "Havlicek steals the ball! Havlicek steals the ball!"

budd2222

5.00 star(s)
I can't remember her name (Lorainne something), the woman that all the Conjuring movies are about passed away last week I believe.

From the USS Lincoln,
Billy

She is Lorraine Warren. she was a self-taught paranormal investigator. To me that just like being a scat expert on a Big Foot program.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Woody Page suggested on "Around The Horn" that the NBA's Sixth Man Award be named in honor of him, and I think that's a great idea. Auerbach used him that way and he excelled.
RIP Hondo! "Havlicek steals the ball! Havlicek steals the ball!"

I like that idea. We need the commons sense commissioner of sports to make it happen!

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
RIP John Singleton -- passed away at age 51 after a recent stroke. He was the director of Boyz N The Hood (among other credits) -- Probably not a top 10 or top 20 movie for me, but definitely a top 50 and one that I will watch if I happen upon it. Think the juxtaposition of Dough Boy (Ice Cube) and Trey (Cuba Gooding) and how they live their lives separate but together is fantastic.

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)
Doris Roberts, who played the mom on Everybody Loves Raymond and the Secretary on Remington Steele has passed away at age 90

budd2222

5.00 star(s)
Georgia Engel died on the Apr. 12. Her big roles were on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Coach, and Hot In Cleveland.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
RIP Peter Mayhew - better known as Chewbacca. Although I didn't understand much of what he said in Star Wars, he seemed to always have a solid train of thought.

David K.

5.00 star(s)
RIP Peter Mayhew - better known as Chewbacca. Although I didn't understand much of what he said in Star Wars, he seemed to always have a solid train of thought.

Heard about today...as we get closer to the 4th of May. Best regards, David

Boots

5.00 star(s)
R.I.P. Red Kelly. He played on more Stanley Cup winning teams than any other player who never played for the Canadiens!