2019 RIP Thread

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Rest in Peace Cliff Branch! Best regards, David

Didn't see this one... I never liked the Raiders, but always thought it was pretty cool the amount of stick 'um that the Raiders WR's and CB's used to use! Lester Hayes and especially Fred Bilintnikoff!

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
RIP Cedric Benson - killed in a motorcycle accident @ 36 years old. Former Bears RB, thinking from U. of Texas?

budd2222

5.00 star(s)
Former Met pitcher Al Jackson died at age 83. At that time he was about the only thing close to being a star.

dragonslayer913

5.00 star(s)
Valerie Harper passes away she was 80 Harper played Rhoda on the TV show the Mary Tyler Show and played the same character on the spin off Rhoda

dragonslayer913

5.00 star(s)
Al Haynes 87 passes away..

Al Haynes was a United Airlines pilot who made a heroic landing when his DC-10’s engine and hydraulic system failed. Haynes was piloting United Flight 232 on July 19, 1989 when the tail-mounted engine failed, followed by failure of the hydraulic system that allowed the pilots to steer the plane. With 296 people on board the plane, Haynes and his co-pilots — along with Denny Fitch a flight instructor for United Airlines.. who happened to be on board jumped in to help — used throttles and thrust to attempt to guide the massive aircraft to a landing in Sioux City, Iowa. As they approached the runway, landing with no brakes or spoilers, the crew lowered the landing gear to try to counteract some of the shock of impact. But a wing touched the ground, causing the plane to cartwheel. Despite the crash landing, 184 passengers and crew survived. Though Haynes later said he felt guilty about surviving when 112 people died in the crash, he was hailed as a hero for guiding the plane to the ground without further loss of life. He preferred to give credit to the co-pilots and crew for the team effort they put in. After his 1991 retirement, Haynes worked to advance flight safety.

The reason I posted this my Aunt Jeannie was aboard that flight..........she survived with very minor injuries

Last edited:

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Valerie Harper passes away she was 80 Harper played Rhoda on the TV show the Mary Tyler Show and played the same character on the spin off Rhoda

Saw this last night - still see re-runs of these shows occasionally on late night TV on sometimes obscure networks.

Al Haynes was a United Airlines pilot who made a heroic landing when his DC-10’s engine and hydraulic system failed. Haynes was piloting United Flight 232 on July 19, 1989 when the tail-mounted engine failed, followed by failure of the hydraulic system that allowed the pilots to steer the plane. With 296 people on board the plane, Haynes and his co-pilots — along with Denny Fitch a flight instructor for United Airlines.. who happened to be on board jumped in to help — used throttles and thrust to attempt to guide the massive aircraft to a landing in Sioux City, Iowa. As they approached the runway, landing with no brakes or spoilers, the crew lowered the landing gear to try to counteract some of the shock of impact. But a wing touched the ground, causing the plane to cartwheel. Despite the crash landing, 184 passengers and crew survived. Though Haynes later said he felt guilty about surviving when 112 people died in the crash, he was hailed as a hero for guiding the plane to the ground without further loss of life. He preferred to give credit to the co-pilots and crew for the team effort they put in. After his 1991 retirement, Haynes worked to advance flight safety.

The reason I posted this my Aunt Jeannie was aboard that flight..........she survived with very minor injuries

That is an interesting footnote to a passing that probably would have gone unnoticed by the general public.

Add another RIP to the weekend - Jim Langer - HOF Center from the Dolphins passed away yesterday. Another member of the last undefeated team in the NFL.

redbird4

5.00 star(s)
R.I.P Chris Duncan

Lost his battle with cancer tonight.

2006 World Champion & son of pitching coach Dave Duncan.

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)

Wow! I remember seeing that on the news. I was in Montana for the summer and was riveted by the footage and that it happened in Iowa. Glad Your Aunt came through safe.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Eddie Money passes away at 70

Just saw this..I couldn't name a song of his other than Two Tickets to Paradise, but pack your bags, we leave tonight.....

Also this week - trillion-aire T. Boone Pickens - investment guru. Wish I had the $$$ laying around to invest in what he did!!!

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
RIP Ric Ocasek - lead singer of The Cars. Never forgave him for stealing Paulina Porizikova from me!

Two fairly known singers in the past week or so - hope the adage of bad things coming in threes doesn't hold true in this case!!