2020 RIP Thread

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
RIP John Thompson - former coach of Georgetown. Had never heard of him until the 1982 championship game against UNC. Jordan's jumper. Fred Browns erroneous pass to Worthy. The first national championship game that I was allowed to stay up past bedtime to watch.

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Rest in Peace John Thompson! Player and later Coach! Best regards, David PS won national title with Georgetown.

Chavezforprez

5.00 star(s)
RIP John Thompson.

Was listening to ESPN Radio on the way home and one of the shows was doing an interview with Dikembe Mutombo. He talked about the 97% graduation rate for Thompson's players throughout his coaching career and about how coach didn't care how many practices or games his players missed, but let him find out that they missed a class for a dumb reason and they'd be off the team. Mutombo said he had a one ticket back home taped to his locker because of a missed class. Then they played Iverson's HOF speech and how coach saved his life and never gave up on him with all others had. Very unique coach and true to his craft and players. Not too common these days.

Billy

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
Just heard Tom Seaver passed away

I just read that, Tom Terrific! He was an awesome pitcher, with the great Reds and Mets teams in the 60s and 70s. He was the #1 in Hall of Fame vote percentage since 1992 until Griffey went in, then Mariano Rivera was the first unanimous selection. Seaver was a legend, it is sad to know that he struggled with dementia and also had Covid. Will be praying for his family, he was married to his wife for 54 years.

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
I just read that, Tom Terrific! He was an awesome pitcher, with the great Reds and Mets teams in the 60s and 70s. He was the #1 in Hall of Fame vote percentage since 1992 until Griffey went in, then Mariano Rivera was the first unanimous selection. Seaver was a legend, it is sad to know that he struggled with dementia and also had Covid. Will be praying for his family, he was married to his wife for 54 years.

Yeah that is a real shame. One report said he died in his sleep from Lewy body dementia and COVID-19. He also had suffered from Lyme disease which his family claimed caused his Dementia. Lyme disease is the thing that scares the crap out of me way more than the Covid virus.

Seaver has to be considered the greatest Met of All Time. I cannot think of another Met that could have that title although I'm no expert on the team. And Seaver's RC is one seriously hard card to find!! Another legend from my childhood has passed away> vERY SAD.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Yeah that is a real shame. One report said he died in his sleep from Lewy body dementia and COVID-19. He also had suffered from Lyme disease which his family claimed caused his Dementia. Lyme disease is the thing that scares the crap out of me way more than the Covid virus.

Seaver has to be considered the greatest Met of All Time. I cannot think of another Met that could have that title although I'm no expert on the team. And Seaver's RC is one seriously hard card to find!! Another legend from my childhood has passed away> vERY SAD.

RIP Tom Seaver - definitely an iconic childhood name. Would definitely agree that he is the greatest Met of all time. Trying to come up with other names, and they all fall short for one reason or another - Strawberry/Gooden/Ryan???

Was kind of hoping to hear some of your input on the John Thompson passing -- you are the information bank (IMO) on the hoops knowledge.

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
RIP Tom Seaver - definitely an iconic childhood name. Would definitely agree that he is the greatest Met of all time. Trying to come up with other names, and they all fall short for one reason or another - Strawberry/Gooden/Ryan???

Was kind of hoping to hear some of your input on the John Thompson passing -- you are the information bank (IMO) on the hoops knowledge.

The only 2 players whose HOF busts that are wearing Met's hats are Seaver and Piazza. I still think of Piazza as a Dodger (much like I think of Fisk as a Red Sock) so in my book Seaver is the greatest Met of all time. I think his RC was one of the 4 cards in 1985 that booked for $100 or more in Mmsubs recent topic on card values in the mid 80s. That was always a tough card to find!

I'm not sure aboutan information bank on sports but John Thompson had an AMAZING run in a school known for academics and not sports. The string of big men he developed was amazing with Ewing, Mourning and Mutumbo. You have to wonder if his style of coaching (big man centric and defense oriented) would fly in today's game?

He closed down the vaunted Manley Field House back in the day which really started the SU/G-Town rivalry. Doc. Manley actually lived in my hometown and I have been in his former house on many occasions. That is one cavernous house!

You being a UNC guy must remember all those goal tends Patrick Ewing did in the NCAA titlegame in 1982! That was some awesome stuff right there and I'm pretty sure Thompseon told him to do that to put fear in the miinds of the Tar Heels shooters.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
The only 2 players whose HOF busts that are wearing Met's hats are Seaver and Piazza. I still think of Piazza as a Dodger (much like I think of Fisk as a Red Sock) so in my book Seaver is the greatest Met of all time. I think his RC was one of the 4 cards in 1985 that booked for $100 or more in Mmsubs recent topic on card values in the mid 80s. That was always a tough card to find!

I'm not sure aboutan information bank on sports but John Thompson had an AMAZING run in a school known for academics and not sports. The string of big men he developed was amazing with Ewing, Mourning and Mutumbo. You have to wonder if his style of coaching (big man centric and defense oriented) would fly in today's game?

He closed down the vaunted Manley Field House back in the day which really started the SU/G-Town rivalry. Doc. Manley actually lived in my hometown and I have been in his former house on many occasions. That is one cavernous house!

You being a UNC guy must remember all those goal tends Patrick Ewing did in the NCAA titlegame in 1982! That was some awesome stuff right there and I'm pretty sure Thompseon told him to do that to put fear in the miinds of the Tar Heels shooters.

Shockingly, I somehow overlooked Piazza for consideration...still think Seaver is the better choice though. Had also forgotten about Seavers stints with both the Red & White Sox.

See, the Manley FH story is the type of nugget that I am talking about - it is the nuances of life that can be the difference between a good story and a great story! Great question about how he would stack up now running the type of system he ran - he lost a gold medal in the Olympics because he put together a team with no outside shooting to take pressure off the bigs. I would like to think he would have adapted his style and been able to play small ball - I mean, he did a nice job with Sleepy Floyd and Allen Iverson.

As a UNC guy, I absolutely remember that game - so many great moments. Basically from the beginning - I think 5 of the first 6 UNC baskets were goaltends and Ewing ended up with 6 of them for the game - had to wonder if the only way the ball was going through the hoop was on Worthy dunks. The lineup that UNC started was pretty solid - Worthy/Perkins/Black/Doherty/Jordan. Georgetown with Ewing, basically stepping into the national spotlight and starting a pretty nice run through the 80's/90's. Than you have the iconic Jordan 17 footer. And than the Worthy "steal" -- followed by Thompson putting his arm around Brown after the game to console him.

I think Curry Kirkpatrick (I think that is the SI writer) -- his opening and ending lines for the story were along the lines of -- "Oh for goose eggs by the half dozen, the first 5 Tar Heels baskets never made it through the hoop" & "Home James, 1 for 5 and back to Chapel Hill" -- I still have that issue of Sports Illustrated stashed away somewhere.....

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)

I had not realized that Mike and Tom were the only 2 who went in with Mets caps, that is a really interesting fact, Jeff. There are so many others who were greats of the era, as katester said, and of course Nolan Ryan is a great of all time, but was best remembered as a Ranger and Astro, he had a shorter stint with the Mets.

I was just at Cooperstown last summer, and want so badly to go back! Next time I will have to check out the caps on the plaques a little more closely!!

God bless,

Kevin

budd2222

5.00 star(s)
As a boy I would watch Lou Brock play for the St. Cloud Rox in the old AAA Northern League. Mid season he was called up by the Cubs and the rest is history. Lou thank you for all the memories.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I just heard that. With Tom Seaver passing a few days ago Brock is the second mainstay HOFer of the 1960s/70s to die in the last week. He was one of the first baseball players I was aware of as a youngster too. Very sad.

RIP Lou Brock - was just thinking the same thing -- the 2nd HOF'r to pass this past week. Hopefully the adage of things happening in 3's takes a break this time around.

Adding another RIP to the list -- Mike Sexton, professional poker player and commentator passed away yesterday. Extremely classy guy who was one of the voices of poker for the past couple decades.