2020 RIP Thread

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)
Completely agree -- this year can end as quickly as possible as far as I am concerned!!

RIP RBG -- all politics aside, she was an extremely influential voice on the Supreme Court since the Clinton Administration.

Yep, this year has been a dumpster fire, for sure. Time to get Betty White back in her protective bubble...

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
And just like that, 2020 strikes again -- RIP Gale Sayers, passing away today at age 77. HOF'r with the Bears. My first recollection of him was his portrayal in Brian's Song by Billy Dee Williams.

This is just shocking with 4 mainstays of the 1960s and 70s passing away in such quick succession. Seaver, Brock, Larry Wilson and now Gale Sayers all no doubt HOFers who all made annual appearneces in sports cards. Seaver and Sayers passed away from Dementia, while Lou Brock had lost a leg to Diabetis and had a terrible battle with cancer. I assume those were the causes of his death. I have not heard anything about the cause of larry Wilson's death though.

And sadly another pro wrestler passes away before his time with Joe Laurenitis (akaRoad Warrior Animal). That may be the toughtest "sport" of all to survive with the beatings these guys take day after day, week after week, year after year. When you look at the premature deaths in professional wrestling, football seems to be a safe sport in comparison!!

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
This is just shocking with 4 mainstays of the 1960s and 70s passing away in such quick succession. Seaver, Brock, Larry Wilson and now Gale Sayers all no doubt HOFers who all made annual appearneces in sports cards. Seaver and Sayers passed away from Dementia, while Lou Brock had lost a leg to Diabetis and had a terrible battle with cancer. I assume those were the causes of his death. I have not heard anything about the cause of larry Wilson's death though.

And sadly another pro wrestler passes away before his time with Joe Laurenitis (akaRoad Warrior Animal). That may be the toughtest "sport" of all to survive with the beatings these guys take day after day, week after week, year after year. When you look at the premature deaths in professional wrestling, football seems to be a safe sport in comparison!!

Definitely agree Jeff, and Joe (Animal) was James' dad, who played for the Rams when they were in STL. James was one of the stars of the defense, and was a really nice guy, I met him at training camp several times and he always stayed and signed for everyone, talked to us, took photos, etc. All of this was in the HUMID summer that we always have in this area. I heard his dad was a real nice guy too, I never met him, but generally the apple doesnt fall far from the tree!

God bless,

Kevin

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
Definitely agree Jeff, and Joe (Animal) was James' dad, who played for the Rams when they were in STL. James was one of the stars of the defense, and was a really nice guy, I met him at training camp several times and he always stayed and signed for everyone, talked to us, took photos, etc. All of this was in the HUMID summer that we always have in this area. I heard his dad was a real nice guy too, I never met him, but generally the apple doesnt fall far from the tree!

God bless,

Kevin

I think Jim's football success is the reason why everyone found out what Road Warrior Animail's real name was!

I don't know what Joe's cause of death was but I was listening to an interview with some former wrestlers and they said the major cause for manty of the premature deaths for these guys was the widespread use of pain pills which really seemed to get big in the 90s. I always thought it was brain trauma and steroids but the inseiders were saying it was pain killersand some wrestlers self medicating with alcohol or recreational drugs. I really is tragic to see so many of these men and women pass away so young.

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)
Just saw on the 80's baseball page I follow on Facebook that Jay Johnstone, of 1984 Fleer Budweiser umbrella hat passed away this weekend. RIP sir.

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)
Another musical death yesterday, Mac Davis, who penned hits like "In the Ghetto" , "Don't Cry Daddy" , "Memories ", and "A Little Less Coversation" that were recorded by Elvis and hits of his own like "Its Hard to Be Humble", "Baby Don't get Hooked on Me" "Texas in my rearview mirror "

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
Rough stretch for Cardinals HOFers with Brock and now Gibson passing away 😞.

Add Larry Wilson of the St Louis football Cardinals who passed away recently and St Louis has lost probably their three most recognizable sports stars of the 1960s and 70s!!!

A few interesting facts about Bob Gibson. He had a full basketball schlorship to Creighton where he averaged 22 pts per game one year. He also played with the Harlem Globetrotters for a year. And the most impressive/mystifying stat about him was he lost TWELVE games in 1968 with an era of 1.12!! And the Cards were the National Leage champs that year and he still lost that many games.

And Jim Rome said Bob Gibson was the only guest on his TV show that absolutely refused to wear any makeup. He said he had to intervene and tell the makeup artist not to put any makeup on him if he did not want it. Dude was an old school tough guy for sure! I'll bet he was the guy you'd want to go with you down a dark alley!! Very sad to see him go along with the other HOFers who recently passed.

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
Speaking of old school tough guys, here is an excerpt from a NY Post article on Gibson's passing where Hank Aaron was counseling Dusty Baker on how to deal........or more specifically how not to deal..........with Bob Gibson.

Hank Aaron once counseled Atlanta Braves teammate Dusty Baker about Gibson.

“Don’t dig in against Bob Gibson; he’ll knock you down,” Aaron said, according to the Boston Globe. “He’d knock down his own grandmother if she dared to challenge him. Don’t stare at him, don’t smile at him, don’t talk to him. He doesn’t like it. If you happen to hit a home run, don’t run too slow, don’t run too fast. If you happen to want to celebrate, get in the tunnel first. And if he hits you, don’t charge the mound, because he’s a Gold Glove boxer.”

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
Bob and Lou could not have been more different in terms of their personalities, though both were well regarded here in the STL area for their abilities! Bob was known for being truculent and very intimidating, while Lou was very warm and friendly, even becoming an ordained minister following his playing career!

There are some who consider Gibson to be the best pitcher of all time, certainly top 5, in anyone's book! I just had this conversation with my cousin at the ball diamond this morning, he told me about Bob's passing, and we discussed the Cardinals. We lost 2 of our HOF players, I remember them all wearing their red jackets on the field for so many events....Whitey, Bruce, Ozzie, and more recently Tony LaRussa and Ted Simmons are our living Hall of Famers. Stan the Man passed in 2013, Red Schoendienst in 2018, and now Lou and Bob in 2020.

Blessings,

Kevin