2020 RIP Thread

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)
Add Larry Wilson of the St Louis football Cardinals who passed away recently and St Louis has lost probably their three most recognizable sports stars of the 1960s and 70s!!!

A few interesting facts about Bob Gibson. He had a full basketball schlorship to Creighton where he averaged 22 pts per game one year. He also played with the Harlem Globetrotters for a year. And the most impressive/mystifying stat about him was he lost TWELVE games in 1968 with an era of 1.12!! And the Cards were the National Leage champs that year and he still lost that many games.

And Jim Rome said Bob Gibson was the only guest on his TV show that absolutely refused to wear any makeup. He said he had to intervene and tell the makeup artist not to put any makeup on him if he did not want it. Dude was an old school tough guy for sure! I'll bet he was the guy you'd want to go with you down a dark alley!! Very sad to see him go along with the other HOFers who recently passed.
I did see on the press release that CBS Sports had last night when I saw the news of his passing that the Cardinals gave him an extra 4000 dollars to completely give up basketball.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
RIP Eddie Van Halen. Passed away today due to cancer at 65. Amazing guitarist. For the record, I liked the band much better as Van Hagar than Van Halen!

metsman1986

5.00 star(s)
RIP Edward Van Halen...........Seen him many, many times in my youth.........Sad day for sure..........Condolences to Wolfie and Valerie........

mm1sub

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
RIP Eddie Van Halen. Passed away today due to cancer at 65. Amazing guitarist. For the record, I liked the band much better as Van Hagar than Van Halen!
Really? I for one liked them much better with David than with Sammy. It always seemed to me that you really heard a lot less of Eddie's rips when they had Hagar. But that is just my opinion.

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
Eddie Van Halen was the guitarist that an entire generation (or probably 2!) looked up to. He had amazing style and playing ability, and was a truly gifted musician.

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
Really? I for one liked them much better with David than with Sammy. It always seemed to me that you really heard a lot less of Eddie's rips when they had Hagar. But that is just my opinion.
I liked them much beter with DLR in the early days. That first album was a killer. Eddie really shined on that "Eruption" instrumental which led into "You Really Got me". That solo is stuff of legend. Very sad to hear of his passing.

I just saw Valerie Bertinelli for the first time in decades on some commercial for some sort of cooking show this week. I remembered her for being married to Eddie Van Halen and 2 or 3 days later we hear of his passing. Eerie!!

Eddie came along at the right time when Hard rock/heavy metal was the most popular genre, thankfully dethroning Disco. . I wonder if the genre will ever become mainstream again? It has been 25 years since that was the case and probably 15 years since it has been even moderately popular.

Jaybo374

5.00 star(s)
In baseball alone, we've lost several players including HOFers Al Kaline, Tom Seaver, Lou Brock, Bob Gibson and now Whitey Ford.

It's times like these that the gods of baseball who were immortalized on cardboard remind us that we are all indeed mortal.

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
In baseball alone, we've lost several players including HOFers Al Kaline, Tom Seaver, Lou Brock, Bob Gibson and now Whitey Ford.

It's times like these that the gods of baseball who were immortalized on cardboard remind us that we are all indeed mortal.

No doubt about that! If you were a kid in he 60s and 70s many of the mainstay players on those cards have passed away recently. Same with football with Gale Sayers and Larry Wilson's recent deaths.

Apparently Ford passed away from either Alzheimer's or Dementia as did Sayers and Seaver. Those diseases are obviously not confined just to football.

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
And on and on it goes...........it was just reproted that Hall of Fmaer Joe Morgan passed away today at the age of 77. He apparently was in poor health suffering from a nerve condition called Polynueropathy. Very sad and yet another passing of a legendary Hall of Famer in recent months.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
My dad just texted me about Morgan. RIP. The list of HOF'rs passing away this year is insane. I feel like going into hibernation - just wake me up on January 1, 2021!

Jaybo374

5.00 star(s)
And on and on it goes...........it was just reproted that Hall of Fmaer Joe Morgan passed away today at the age of 77. He apparently was in poor health suffering from a nerve condition called Polynueropathy. Very sad and yet another passing of a legendary Hall of Famer in recent months.
Sigh... I guess many of them are just reaching that age. The stage during the Induction Ceremony in Cooperstown is getting less and less crowded.