2020 RIP Thread

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
Sigh... I guess many of them are just reaching that age. The stage during the Induction Ceremony in Cooperstown is getting less and less crowded.
That is a sad thought, but very true!

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
No doubt about that! If you were a kid in he 60s and 70s many of the mainstay players on those cards have passed away recently. Same with football with Gale Sayers and Larry Wilson's recent deaths.

Apparently Ford passed away from either Alzheimer's or Dementia as did Sayers and Seaver. Those diseases are obviously not confined just to football.

That is true Jeff, I saw that Whitey was significantly older than Gale and Tom, but those diseases can strike very young in some cases, unfortunately.

Blessings,

Kevin

metsman1986

5.00 star(s)
Wow!! RIP Joe Morgan.
Yeah, that is really sad as I grew up watching him play in Cincinnati during the BRM era...........I read his biography a few years ago and that was pretty interesting............He seemed a little angrier than the person I saw on the field; he had an engaging smile and got along with his teammates..............

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)
Just saw this one on my CBS Sports Notifications, and will hit anyone who grew up in Minnesota.

Sid Hartman, the legendary sportswriter for the Minneapolis Star and Tribune passed away this afternoon at age 100. He was instrumental in bringing the the Lakers to Minneapolis and paid 15,000 dollars to the owner of the Detroit Gems to bring them to the Twin Cities. I always loved reading his column in the Strib.
I remember attending my last game at the Metrodome on 9/11/2009 and as we made our way to our seats, which were 4 rows behind home plate we walked past Sid in his booth. I took a picture of him and he was the deep in his notes, don't think he even noticed us.
Thank you Sid, for sharing your love of sports with the state of MN and the world.

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
Add another HOF'r to the RIP list. Fred Dean, former San Diego Charger, passed away a couple days ago.
I meant to post about that yesterday and forgot. The article I read said he died from complications of Covid-19. With the flurry of HOFers who have passed away recently Dean is the first I have read about passing away from the virus.

The Niners are wearing a helemt decal with his number on it joining the Cardinals and Washington who have jersey patches honoring Larry Wilson (#8) and Bobby Mitchell (#49) respectively.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I meant to post about that yesterday and forgot. The article I read said he died from complications of Covid-19. With the flurry of HOFers who have passed away recently Dean is the first I have read about passing away from the virus.

The Niners are wearing a helmet decal with his number on it joining the Cardinals and Washington who have jersey patches honoring Larry Wilson (#8) and Bobby Mitchell (#49) respectively.

I knew we would get solid insight and information from SM! My only thought/memory on Dean is that I am 99% sure I have a 73/74 Topps card of him totally padded up (forearms, etc.) like a lot of D linemen in the 70's.

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
I knew we would get solid insight and information from SM! My only thought/memory on Dean is that I am 99% sure I have a 73/74 Topps card of him totally padded up (forearms, etc.) like a lot of D linemen in the 70's.
Everyone used to wear pads on their arms back then. I can't believe no one does it now! I used to get these horrible hematomas on my forearms from catching the edges of opponents shoulder pads and those hurt like a mother! Once I started using forearm pads that cured that and you could really unload on guys without fear of having a plum grow out of your forearms, LOL I remember the Oakland Raiders used tons of forearm pads and those were the baddest cats in the NFL. Ted Hendricks, Gene Upshaw and Gerald Irons were the ones I remember most wearing them. The game these days is so based on speed versus blunt force trauma that I guess the need for pads has gone away.

This is a little late but I was sad to read that the actress Linda Cristal died in late June of natural causes at age 89. She is most remembered by me for her role in the TV series The High Chaparral and costariing with Charles Bronson in the movie Mr Majestyk.

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)
Viking defensive great Matt Blair, an outstanding linebacker, died today -- only 70 yrs old.

2020 sucks.
One of my first favorite Vikings. I remember in 7th grade doing a paper for geography on Hawaii, and my teacher, who was a die hard Packers fan (rough times in the 80's) got a dig in on the last line as Honolulu was the birthplace of "Vikings Pro Bowler Matt Blair"

Rhubarb_Runner

5.00 star(s)
One of my first favorite Vikings. I remember in 7th grade doing a paper for geography on Hawaii, and my teacher, eewho was a die hard Packers fan (rough times in the 80's) got a dig in on the last line as Honolulu was the birthplace of "Vikings Pro Bowler Matt Blair"
Hilo, actually, on the Big Island. Nice place

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
That is too bad about Matt Blair. They have not released the cause of death but I read he had been suffering from Dementia like so many recently passed athletes.

I had to look up what his RC was since I surprisingly did not know. Turns out it was a 1977 Topps. For some odd reason I knew he went to Iowa State and I have no idea how I knew that!?!?! Very sad he passed away at a relatively young age as well as suffering from Dementia.