• ATTENTION: Do you have a local card shop near you? If so, please help us out by adding their location into our new card shop tool.

2020 RIP Thread

SymphonicMetal

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I forgot that he was a Spartan - once again, your insight adds to the party. Made the win over Michigan a bit sweeter today.
That win over Michigan was totally shocking to me. I did not think Sparty was going to win a game this year much less one over U of M!!! This is the first time I have really thought that Harbaugh is on the hot seat as this was a really bad loss and I think it guarenteed MSU's new coach a 3 year grace period.

Here is a fact about Herb AdderlyI did not know which I found in an article today about his passing.

Along with former teammates Fuzzy Thurston and Forrest Gregg, Adderley is one of four players in pro football history to play on six championship teams. Tom Brady is the other.

I would not have known that trivia except for Tom Brady. Thurston won 5 with the Pack and one with the Colts in 1958 before he joined Green Bay. Gergg, like Adderley, joined Dallas after their run with The Pack and both won their last championship with the Cowboys after winning 5 with Green Bay. I knew Adderley was with the Cowboys in the 70s (thanks to football cards) but did not know about Forresst Gregg being with them at the same time.

SymphonicMetal

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
RIP former Met Rick Baldwin
That name rang a bell as a 1970s guy in cards and it turns out he was in 1976 and 1977 Topps. It is reported that he died from complications of the Covid virus. He and Fred Dean were the only 2 athletes that passed away in recent months that I know died of that virus. Too bad too as Balwin was only 67 years old.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
RIP Alex Trebek -- Jeopardy has been a mainstay on our television for as long as I can remember. Will be weird watching the final episodes that were already taped.

KCLJ520

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Too bad about Alex Trebek. It was reported he amazingly taped his last Jeopary! episode 10 days before his death.
Alex Trebek was a classy individual, I remember watching Jeopardy with my Great Aunt in the afternoons after working in the yard, he made it fun! He hosted since 1984, so was on for 36 years.

I said to my wife that I thought he and Pat and Vanna has hosted their respective shows for around the same number of years. Pat Sajak has been on Wheel of Fortune since 1981, with Vanna White joining him in 1982. That is a long time for these mainstays!

Rest in Peace Mr. Trebek!

Blessings,

Kevin

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
RIP another HOF'r -- Tommy Heinsohn - longtime Celtics player and announcer. My best recollection of him is the early Miller Lite commercials.

I will leave the heavy lifting to Symphonic.....

KCLJ520

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
My wife and I met Tom after a Celtics game in 2007, he was so friendly, and I believe he has more Championship rings as a player, coach, and broadcaster than anyone. He is in the Hall as both player and coach as well.

Another neat story, his wife, who he always would mention during his broadcasts as "the redhead in Needham" passed away several years back. So God bless you, Tommy, I am thankful that you and your redhead from Needham are reunited in the next life!

Blessings,

Kevin

SymphonicMetal

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
RIP another HOF'r -- Tommy Heinsohn - longtime Celtics player and announcer. My best recollection of him is the early Miller Lite commercials.

I will leave the heavy lifting to Symphonic.....
HaHa! It looks like Kevin did the heavy lifting on this one. I knew nothing about the most rings by a Celtic nor the "redhead from Needham" line he used. I don't remember him from his playing days since that was before I followed pro basketball, but remember him well as the Celtics coach in the 1970s.

I just realized that I followed college hoops several years before I followed pro hoops! I think in the late 60s/early 70s college basketball was more popular than pros.

Very sad about another HOFer passing away in recent months.

KCLJ520

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
HaHa! It looks like Kevin did the heavy lifting on this one. I knew nothing about the most rings by a Celtic nor the "redhead from Needham" line he used. I don't remember him from his playing days since that was before I followed pro basketball, but remember him well as the Celtics coach in the 1970s.

I just realized that I followed college hoops several years before I followed pro hoops! I think in the late 60s/early 70s college basketball was more popular than pros.

Very sad about another HOFer passing away in recent months.

Sorry to jump in Jeff, you are usually the trivia champion, but having met him briefly and having followed the Celtics since their Championships in the 80s, I wanted to pay a small tribute....neat man, he was truly Mr. Celtic!

Also, I did not learn until recently that John Havlicek had passed away, I have no idea how I had missed that! He passed April 25th, 2019 due to the effects of Parkinson's, which he had been ill with in his later years. He was 79, which is fairly young, but is somewhat in keeping with the ages of the slate of HOF players in multiple sports who have passed in the last 12 months! Most were in their later 70s or early 80s, Tom Heinsohn was 86, and Al Kaline was 85, and I think everyone else was younger. So sad, what a rough year.

Blessings,

Kevin

SymphonicMetal

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Sorry to jump in Jeff, you are usually the trivia champion, but having met him briefly and having followed the Celtics since their Championships in the 80s, I wanted to pay a small tribute....neat man, he was truly Mr. Celtic!

Also, I did not learn until recently that John Havlicek had passed away, I have no idea how I had missed that! He passed April 25th, 2019 due to the effects of Parkinson's, which he had been ill with in his later years. He was 79, which is fairly young, but is somewhat in keeping with the ages of the slate of HOF players in multiple sports who have passed in the last 12 months! Most were in their later 70s or early 80s, Tom Heinsohn was 86, and Al Kaline was 85, and I think everyone else was younger. So sad, what a rough year.

Blessings,

Kevin
I had totally forgotten about Hondo passing away. He was one of those guys you thought woul live a long time since his M.O. was his superior cardiovascular condition.