2020 RIP Thread

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
Phyllis Geroge, the former Miss America and one of the first (if not the first) female national sports broadcasters/journalists in history, passed away at the age of 70, She was on the CBS NFL pregame and half time shows with Brent Musberger, Jimmy the Greek and Irv Cross in the 1970s and 80s and really was a legit trailblazer for women in sports media. I cartainly cannot think of another woman who came before her in sports breadcasting.

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
Jerry Sloan, former Chicago Bulls player and coach and long time coach of the Utah Jazz, passed away at 78 today. He is in the Hall of Fame as a coach and despite never winning an NBA title had one hell of a record!

Funny how you pay much closer attention to sports as a kid then you do as an adult. If you say Jerry Sloan to me, I think of him and Norm Van Lier as the long time backcourt for the Bulls in the 1970s. 99% of fans will immediately think "Utah Jazz coach" but I always remember him and Van Lier as one TOUGH defensive backcourt for the Bulls. Those two were some rough, physical cats and sadly both are gone now.

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
Said this awhile ago when Chuck Berry died, but of all the rockers in the 50's who seemed hell bent on self destruction, who would have thought that Jerry lee Lewis would be the last on standing?

RIP Little Richard

I second your statement about Jerry Lee....There is a meme that I saw recently with Keith Richards, and it says "I outlived Elvis, Michael Jackson, and Amy Winehouse. Betcha didn't see that coming!"

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Jerry Sloan, former Chicago Bulls player and coach and long time coach of the Utah Jazz, passed away at 78 today. He is in the Hall of Fame as a coach and despite never winning an NBA title had one hell of a record!

Funny how you pay much closer attention to sports as a kid then you do as an adult. If you say Jerry Sloan to me, I think of him and Norm Van Lier as the long time backcourt for the Bulls in the 1970s. 99% of fans will immediately think "Utah Jazz coach" but I always remember him and Van Lier as one TOUGH defensive backcourt for the Bulls. Those two were some rough, physical cats and sadly both are gone now.
Rest in Peace Jerry Sloan! Best regards, David

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
Well this is a downer. NBA Hall of Famer Wes Unseld, my favorite player as a kid, passed away today at age 74. He was the very first basketball player I followed as a youngster. My absolute favorite players growing up were Kansas City Chief WR Otis Taylor, Detroit Tigers outfielder Willie Horton and in basketball it was Wes, Elvin Hayes and a slew of ABA players most notebly George Gervin and George McGinnis. Very sad day for me with Wes's passing.

Last edited:

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
Mike McCormick, Cy Young winner, former Giant, at 81. RIP

I had to do some research on him since I had forgotten he was a Cy Young Award winner. He really came out of nowhere to win that in 1967, the year before Bob Gibson and Denny McClain owned that aweard the next two seasons. He led the NL in wins that year and he also won the ERA title in 1960 with a record of 15-12. So he had a wins title, an era title and a Cy Young Award in what otherwise was a journeyman career. He was certainly a mainstay in card sets from the late 50s to the early 70s appearing on seemingly a different team every year. I always think of him as a San Francisco Giant despite playing for 6 or 7 teams in his career.

Last edited:

David K.

5.00 star(s)
115,000 and counting......Rest in Peace......Arizona its spreading like crazy..and its summer time and very hot....People not wearing masks and not social distancing.....One eater in Arizona ...was proud not to wear masks and gloves...we are expressing our personal freedom! Remember the one person saying....it will soon be summer time and it will disappear like a bad dream.....Nope!

Last edited:

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
When you get busy with other things, amazing the things that you miss. I try not to watch the news much and ESPN is virtually non-existant in terms of relevance right now. Completely missed on Jerry Sloan and Wes Unselds passing.

Did see this morning that Jim Kiick passed away. Former Miami Dolphin. Same backfield as Larry Czonka. Believe he was a part of the last undefeated team in the NFL.

cmcjr99

5.00 star(s)
Eddie Kasko, an All-Star infielder who managed the Boston Red Sox and spent nearly three decades with the team in a variety of roles, died Wednesday. The Red Sox announced Kasko's death Wednesday night, three days shy of his 89th birthday.