2021 Golf Thread

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Another trip up to Currituck - a tidy little 82 - the wind down here right now is crazy - probably a 3 to 4 club swing in some cases. Much better putting, made a lot more than I missed. Was able to self diagnose the issue while on the putting green. My body was swaying during the takeaway, which was basically bringing the putter forward on a different line than I was taking it back on.

Best part was needing par on 18 to shoot 79 -- smooth triple after taking 3 shots to get out of the sand. Good times!! Beginning to think I should only play 17 holes to keep my spirits high!!!

currituck.jpg

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Last round of the week...82. One of the nicest days I can remember in early March on the Outer Banks. Played 18 in the morning and made the drive home in time to see the 2nd half of the UNC/Duke game. It was a win-win situation!!

Only regret this trip was not getting to play Kilmarlic or The Pointe - both had just punched their greens and putting would have been awful (not that it would have bothered me, my putting was terrible)

sea scape.jpg

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
The best part of the Masters is the Par-3 contest on the Wed. Gotta love it when 7 year-olds take their father's putts

Do enjoy the par 3 contest! Will be awesome to have 2 Masters only 6 months apart.

Had a chance to watch parts of The Players Championship @ TPC Sawgrass last week. Westy and Muscles Dechambeau folded early. Justin Thomas with a rather "easy" win with his Sunday performance. With the exception of his drive on 18..no clue how that stayed out of the water, but sometimes luck is better than skill. One day..one day, I would like to have a shot to play #17 - the island green.

gordo47

Prospect
Augusta is my fantasy. There used to be this TV show called 'Thrill of a Lifetime' where viewers write in to see if they get picked to let them experience their 'Thrill of a Lifetime'. I wrote in to play with ' The Big 3' ( I'll let youngsters guess who that is/was) at Ausgusta. If never got picked but I think now I'd pick Annika, Jack & Mickey Wright (Is she still alive?).

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Augusta is my fantasy. There used to be this TV show called 'Thrill of a Lifetime' where viewers write in to see if they get picked to let them experience their 'Thrill of a Lifetime'. I wrote in to play with ' The Big 3' ( I'll let youngsters guess who that is/was) at Ausgusta. If never got picked but I think now I'd pick Annika, Jack & Mickey Wright (Is she still alive?).

That is a great posed question - who would your dream foursome be. And what course would you want to play on.

So many amazing courses out there - Augusta National is definitely up there, but I think I am flipping a coin between Oakmont, Pinehurst #2, Bethpage Black, and St. Andrews and hoping it comes up Pinehurst #2 (I know I just Yogi Berra'd there, but I am allowing it!).

My all time foursome would be tough - I would want my father and my son to be a part of it, but that leaves only 1 slot open, so since I hit the course with them every year, going solo on my choices -- Tiger Woods. Jack Nicklaus. Bill Murray.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Tis the time for one of my favorite weeks on tour - the WGC Match Play. I liked it better when it was one and done, but even with the new pod system, it is still fun to watch. It is nice that you can take a 10 on a hole and it only costs you one hole, rather than a chance at winning the tourney. You still get 17 other holes to excel on and take the match.

gordo47

Prospect
I agree, match play is a different animal. We don't play it much here in Canada. It can be very frustrating in many ways. You can 'waste' 3 extemely good shots to get a birdie and you opponent takes a triple bogey. and you only win 1 hole.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I agree, match play is a different animal. We don't play it much here in Canada. It can be very frustrating in many ways. You can 'waste' 3 extemely good shots to get a birdie and you opponent takes a triple bogey. and you only win 1 hole.

Can't disagree with what you are saying - stroke play definitely is tougher over the long haul. And winners/losers can be skewed. Just looking at the current WGC -- a guy went out and shot 8 under and lost, another went out and shot +1 and won -- all depends on how good you are doing and how bad the other guy is playing.

Flipping over to the LPGA - great to see Michelle Wie back out and competing. She shot in the 80's in her first competitive round back, and had a huge smile on her face.

bblair_2002

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Finally got out and played on Thursday. It was beautiful,sunny and in the mid 70s and the course I played was the only one in the area allowing carts. Only played 9 and I set the goal of at least breaking 50 and it's the first time I swung a club since last fall. Didn't start out so hot with an 8 on the par 5 first hole but the more I played the looser I got and ended up with a 47. Even went to work after and didn't feel sore at all when I eventually got home which is a good sign.

gordo47

Prospect
I've always wondering why golfers talk about breaking some score (80?) . So if you shoot a 79, you don't really 'break' 80. You started at 0 and got to 79 and did not break it!! Funny

bblair_2002

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I've always wondering why golfers talk about breaking some score (80?) . So if you shoot a 79, you don't really 'break' 80. You started at 0 and got to 79 and did not break it!! Funny
Well golf is the only sport where the lower the score you have,the better but the idea of breaking 80 is the opposite of what it should mean with every other sport you play lol.

By the way,I have yet to break 80 myself. I'm not a pro like Andy up there ^. Best round for me is an 82 but I'll be working on it this summer ;)

gordo47

Prospect
so how did you get the symbol that looks like a roof? I used to have a french typewriter(longest word in which you use only the letters on the top row of the keyboard!!) that had that symbol for an accent on some vowels when needed. I can't see it on my keyboard. Is it on the alternate keyboard where ¢, ☻, ♥,☻ etc. are found? OK, just found it!! capital 6!!

bblair_2002

MVP
5.00 star(s)
so how did you get the symbol that looks like a roof? I used to have a french typewriter(longest word in which you use only the letters on the top row of the keyboard!!) that had that symbol for an accent on some vowels when needed. I can't see it on my keyboard. Is it on the alternate keyboard where ¢, ☻, ♥,☻ etc. are found? OK, just found it!! capital 6!!
Shift 6 ^

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Well golf is the only sport where the lower the score you have,the better but the idea of breaking 80 is the opposite of what it should mean with every other sport you play lol.

By the way,I have yet to break 80 myself. I'm not a pro like Andy up there ^. Best round for me is an 82 but I'll be working on it this summer ;)

Glad you got out to kick your season off! This weekend is probably my last real chance to play for quite sometime. Going to be a lot of baseball this summer.......

I love watching the match play, but it needs to go back to one and done. Although the Sergio moving on hole in one against Westy was crazy -- it is just more fun to watch the early matches with a sense of doom for someone, not that they get 2 more chances to make up for it....

Jack

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Loved getting back on course Long Meadow Golf Club,Lowell MA in great shape this year. Chipping and putting weren't that great did finally birdied a hole but ended up with 91. Fairways and green to all benchie golfers this year
Jack

bblair_2002

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Played 18 with my brother and nephew before work on Tuesday.............big mistake lol. Come lunchtime at work my legs felt like jello so I went home. Started on the back 9 but aside from getting an 8 on the par 3 11th hole (yeah laugh it up) I ended up with a 50 with a 46 on the front 9. I started swinging like myself on the front 9 and it felt great.

I'll be experiencing a shift change at work in a couple week working from 5:30 am-4 pm. My home course is on the way home so I'll be playing many 9 hole rounds after work.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Loved getting back on course Long Meadow Golf Club,Lowell MA in great shape this year. Chipping and putting weren't that great did finally birdied a hole but ended up with 91. Fairways and green to all benchie golfers this year
Jack

Still bummed that I never got the chance to chase the little white ball around with you at Chief's Tourney in Rhode Island!! Only got to play in it once, but had an absolute blast, despite the long drive home.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Played 18 with my brother and nephew before work on Tuesday.............big mistake lol. Come lunchtime at work my legs felt like jello so I went home. Started on the back 9 but aside from getting an 8 on the par 3 11th hole (yeah laugh it up) I ended up with a 50 with a 46 on the front 9. I started swinging like myself on the front 9 and it felt great.

I'll be experiencing a shift change at work in a couple week working from 5:30 am-4 pm. My home course is on the way home so I'll be playing many 9 hole rounds after work.

That is a nice bonus being able to stop and play a quick 9 after work. Seems like every time I try to sneak out early or squeeze in a round at the end of the day, I get behind folks that are in no hurry at all. I don't have time to spend 4+ hours on the course. Just let me hit it and chase it and I will be done in under 2 1/2 hours - that is what I have time for.

Hoping the weather holds and I can get out tomorrow morning.

Jack

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I loved playing in the CHIEF’S tournament with all the benchies the Chief always made it GREAT he put a lot of time and effort making it so GOOD
However age sometimes gets in the way I certainly enjoyed playing and had a lot of fun and laughs with everyone. Again THANKS Chief and all the benchies who played
Jack