2021 HOF Class

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Who do you think gets in. Remembering that the ceremony will also include the 2020 inductees - Jeter/Walker.

Curt Schilling 9th year
Roger Clemens 9th year
Barry Bonds 9th year
Omar Vizquel 4th year
Scott Rolen 4th year
Billy Wagner 6th year
Gary Sheffield 7th year
Todd Helton 3rd year
Manny Ramírez 5th year
Jeff Kent 8th year
Andruw Jones 4th year
Sammy Sosa 9th year
Andy Pettitte 3rd year
Bobby Abreu 2nd year

New comers to the ballot:
Mark Buehrle, A.J. Burnett, Michael Cuddyer, Dan Haren, LaTroy Hawkins, Tim Hudson, Torii Hunter, Aramis Ramírez, Nick Swisher, Shane Victorino and Barry Zito.

My take -- Bonds/Clemens still out for steroids. I believe Schilling deserves to be in. After that, no one on the list in my eyes makes the grade.

David K.

5.00 star(s)
I agree that it was not smart of the players to use the stuff.....and that Bonds before using it was bound for the HOF....so I would not have any problems letting him in. Best regards, David

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I agree that it was not smart of the players to use the stuff.....and that Bonds before using it was bound for the HOF....so I would not have any problems letting him in. Best regards, David

I think both Bonds & Clemens were HOF'rs before they started juicing, so if they get in, I don't have a problem. Especially since folks like Bagwell, Piazza & I-Rod all got in while under the cloud of steroid use. I always liked McGwire, never liked Sosa -- other than HR's did either really do anything HOF worthy?

Have said it a million times -- the HOF is so watered down at this point, it almost doesn't matter who they let in.

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
I think both Bonds & Clemens were HOF'rs before they started juicing, so if they get in, I don't have a problem. Especially since folks like Bagwell, Piazza & I-Rod all got in while under the cloud of steroid use. I always liked McGwire, never liked Sosa -- other than HR's did either really do anything HOF worthy?

Have said it a million times -- the HOF is so watered down at this point, it almost doesn't matter who they let in.

Yes, when we went there two summers ago, my friend kept calling the recent classes "The Hall of Above Average!"

I do agree that Bonds and Clemens would have made the grade without steroids, and I do think Schilling is HOF worthy. Jeter is by far the most talented of the names above, he was of course a first ballot choice just in general with all of his World Series wins and being a Yankee his entire career. Other than them, I dont see anyone on the ballot currently who I would put in with the all time greats. I just dont know that being on the ballot for 9 years increases a person's chances. Hopefully we get another good group coming up in the years to come!

God bless,

Kevin

HoosierBuddy

5.00 star(s)
Harold Baines really jumped the shark for me.

There are some less-than-worthy players in the Hall. Baines and Bobby Doerr, to name 2 off the top of my head. Never really considered Walker a HOFer, either.

If Walker is in, Helton should be. They were pretty comparable during their playing days. They let in Mussina, so to me, Schilling should be in.

I've never believed the juicers should have been excluded. There are other cheaters in the Hall. Sosa, Clemens, Bonds, Ramirez (and McGwire) should all be in.

Nobody from the newly eligible, though.

criollos

5.00 star(s)
Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, and Manny should get in, but we know that it won’t happen because of steroids. I don’t see a legit HOF other than those 4.

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
I do remember the talk of Harold Baines being more political in nature, but I dont remember the whole story. There are always greats of the era, which could be a wing of the Hall, and then greats of All Time, which Harold is not. I loved Don Mattingly in the 80s and 90s, but he fell short of the necessary votes too, as well as in his second chance this past year. His lack of a World Series hurt his chances, though Harold did not win one as a player either!

I suppose the moral of the story is: some make it, some dont!

Blessings,

Kevin

zlw1

5.00 star(s)
I don't think any of the new comers are HOF worthy. Good players, could make a title contending team in their own right in their days... but none are the top 1%

If you stay the course, no one should get in in 2021. (If steroids is a no-go)

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
I don't believe I have watched a clean sporting event in 40+ years so I'm not worrying about steroids. Baseball's iconic numbers (500 HRs, 3,000 hits etc) don't mean what they once did with TPTB in baseball tweaking things to increase scoring so I'm not considering those milestones as automatic enshrinement either.

Going by the theory if you have to think about it, the player doesn't belong in the HOF, that leaves me with Bonds and Clemens as who I would vote for and put many of the others in the mythcal Hall of Very Good.

I was curious as to why ARod was not on the list. Is he eigible to get in? He'd get my vote if I had one. And although he is not on the list, Pete Rose would be another.

Last edited:

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
I don't believe I have watched a clean sporting event in 40+ years so I'm not worrying about steroids. Baseball's iconic numbers (500 HRs, 3,000 hits etc) don't mean what they once did with TPTB in baseball tweaking things to increase scoring so I'm not considering those milestones as automatic enshrinement either.

Going by the theory if you have to think about it, the player doesn't belong in the HOF, that leaves me with Bonds and Clemens as who I would vote for and put many of the others in the mythcal Hall of Very Good.

I was curious as to why ARod was not on the list. Is he eigible to get in? He'd get my vote if I had one. And although he is not on the list, Pete Rose would be another.
I thought ARod was on the 2021 ballot too, Jeff, but looked it up after reading your post....he is eligible next year, for 2022's class.

I would agree about Pete Rose, one of the best players of all time....not a great human being, but neither was Ty Cobb, and he is like a baseball Founding Father! I think it may take until after his death and he may be posthumously inducted. I know that sounds morbid, I just wonder why with a commissioner change he is still not eligible!

Blessings,

Kevin

HoosierBuddy

5.00 star(s)
Well, Shoeless has been out of baseball for 101 years, and he's been dead for almost 70. He's still not in the Hall, even after numerous commissioner changes.

anglinomics

5.00 star(s)
I always thought that 500 home runs, 3,000 hits, 300 wins & 3,000 strikeouts should be automatic. The hitting stats may be easier to attain today, but I'm sure the equipment and the condition of the ball was better for Mickey Mantle than Babe Ruth. There might not be more 300 win pitchers because of the changes to the game.

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
I always thought that 500 home runs, 3,000 hits, 300 wins & 3,000 strikeouts should be automatic. The hitting stats may be easier to attain today, but I'm sure the equipment and the condition of the ball was better for Mickey Mantle than Babe Ruth. There might not be more 300 win pitchers because of the changes to the game.

That is very true about it being extremely difficult for pitchers to attain 300 wins, which is a shame in a lot of respects. I do think it has always been tougher for pitchers to reach the HOF, though some pitchers have had much longer careers than position players as well.

Also true about the equipment changing throughout the years, as well as the changes in conditioning and training....imagine Babe Ruth with a personal trainer, dietician, chiropractor, etc. Unreal.

God bless,

Kevin

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Schilling.....leaves a bad taste in my mouth.........go fund me for the building the wall.......just one of the many non-baseball issues. Best regards, David

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
Schilling.....leaves a bad taste in my mouth.........go fund me for the building the wall.......just one of the many non-baseball issues. Best regards, David

I didnt remember that, I know he has very strongly held political views....all I remember was the bloody sock and winning the first WS in decades with the Red Sox in 2004!

Blessings,

Kevin

7guns

5.00 star(s)
I may be biased but McGwire had a solid career prior to 98 look at his Oakland years. Bad choices yes but if you keep him out them Bonds, Clemems, Arod and others never get to go. I do not think they should keep them out there was more than one season or time frame they need to consider.