• ATTENTION: Do you have a local card shop near you? If so, please help us out by adding their location into our new card shop tool.

2021 MLB Thread

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
It seems as if the hot stove league has some stuff cooking, so might as well go ahead and fire up the thread. It isn't that long until pitchers/catchers report.

And my son is crushed with todays announcement of Francisco Lindor getting dealt to the Mets along with Carlos Carrasco. And honestly, I can't see myself spending $$$$ on Mets gear. If he wants a jersey, it will come out of HIS piggy bank.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Wow! I thought he (Lindor) would be there a long time! Best regards, David

I agree, he would have been a great candidate to spend his entire career with one team. All about the $$$$ though, Cleveland couldn't afford to pay him after this year. Had to get something in return. Feels like the Central will come down to Twins/White Sox this year. Tigers/Royals/Tribe may not be ready for prime time.

Kirbyfan34

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
I agree, he would have been a great candidate to spend his entire career with one team. All about the $$$$ though, Cleveland couldn't afford to pay him after this year. Had to get something in return. Feels like the Central will come down to Twins/White Sox this year. Tigers/Royals/Tribe may not be ready for prime time.
Had thought that as well, about Lindor, but as a Twins fan, that is one less bullet in Cleveland's gun. Unfortunately I think the days of Ripken, Puckett, Gwynn, Bench type players staying with the same team have come to an end. Mike Trout might be the last of the bunch, and even that isn't a guarantee.

mm1sub

HOF
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
The trade of Lindor is a complete disgrace. I am tired of hearing about how these teams don't have money to afford these types of players. If that is the case, then open up the books and show everyone. Or just sell the team. Everyone knows that when one of these teams go up for sale, the price is beyond belief. Any major league team will sell for at least a billion dollars. Their payroll for 2021 will be around 35 million. That will be their lowest since 2004.I am officially done rooting for the Indians. I will not root for them until there is a new ownership group in place. This will be my last post with this avatar.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Had thought that as well, about Lindor, but as a Twins fan, that is one less bullet in Cleveland's gun. Unfortunately I think the days of Ripken, Puckett, Gwynn, Bench type players staying with the same team have come to an end. Mike Trout might be the last of the bunch, and even that isn't a guarantee.

Trying to think of other players who have a shot at staying with their teams for the duration of their career. Trout. Posey. Pedroia. Torres. Judge. Soto. Acuna. Trying to mix some older guys in with younger guys to see how this ages......

Another signing over the weekend - Schwarber headed to The Nationals.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Maybe Kershaw and or Votto?

Those are both solid names to add to the list. I completely understand chasing a ring and chasing the dollars, but it sure is nice to see a guy start and end with the same team. Is Mauer the most recent???

In other news, the Chicago White Sox are lining up to be a very tough out in the AL -- just inked Liam Hendriks.

Lots of names still out there, just waiting for dominoes to fall. Would love to see the Phillies give an incentive laden deal to Corey Kluber. You can never have enough arms, especially if they come at low risk to you.

Kirbyfan34

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
Those are both solid names to add to the list. I completely understand chasing a ring and chasing the dollars, but it sure is nice to see a guy start and end with the same team. Is Mauer the most recent???

In other news, the Chicago White Sox are lining up to be a very tough out in the AL -- just inked Liam Hendriks.

Lots of names still out there, just waiting for dominoes to fall. Would love to see the Phillies give an incentive laden deal to Corey Kluber. You can never have enough arms, especially if they come at low risk to you.
I think Mauer is yes. And ironically his agent was Robert Shapiro, who was Ripken and Puckett's as well. And as far as chasing a ring, wouldn't it have been sweeter for guys like Grace, Clemens, Molitor and others stay and try to win with their original teams? Granted they all would have missed out but still...

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Corey Kluber signs with the Yankees. Another one of my sons favorites ends up in the Big Apple.

Trying to figure out how the Phillies were not in on this. Seems like a no-brainer, give him a decent base ($3-5 million) and than add in about $10 million in potentially achievable goals. If he flames out, you are only out $3 million, if he performs, he gets paid. Of course, that is how I think everyones contracts should be drawn up.

Kirbyfan34

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
Corey Kluber signs with the Yankees. Another one of my sons favorites ends up in the Big Apple.

Trying to figure out how the Phillies were not in on this. Seems like a no-brainer, give him a decent base ($3-5 million) and than add in about $10 million in potentially achievable goals. If he flames out, you are only out $3 million, if he performs, he gets paid. Of course, that is how I think everyones contracts should be drawn up.
Thought I heard they resigned DJ as well. Ugh the rich get richer. Actually surprised that it's been 11 years since the Yanks have been to the series, and Steinbrenner hasn't completely gone off the deep end like his dad use to.

Also hoping that the rule changes for double headers and extra innings are not permanent changes, dont really even want them again this year.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Thought I heard they resigned DJ as well. Ugh the rich get richer. Actually surprised that it's been 11 years since the Yanks have been to the series, and Steinbrenner hasn't completely gone off the deep end like his dad use to.

Also hoping that the rule changes for double headers and extra innings are not permanent changes, dont really even want them again this year.

I heard the same about LeMahieu, but haven't seen anything to confirm numbers, etc. And yes, it is hard to believe that the Yanks haven't won the series since 2009 - proving that isn't about how much you spend, but what you spend it on.

I will probably get roasted on this, but depending on how the season plays out, I am actually in favor of the shorter inning double headers and the extra inning rule with the runner on 2nd. I am also leaning towards keeping the DH in the National League as well. If the season is impacted by COVID stick with the modified rules. If there is no impact, than go back to the rules as they were written. It also wouldn't bother me if they shortened the season by 20 or 30 games and gave more time for makeups if there was a COVID issue.

I am also hoping they keep the additional rounds of playoffs - the more teams that make the playoffs, the more fanbases they stay active deeper into the season.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Springer to Toronto - could be a killer lineup up north, not sure of their pitching though. Kirby Yates signing could help that pitching.

Brantley re-signs with Houston. The Padres pickup Joe Musgrove and add another arm to their rotation.

Excited that the Phillies got Archie Bradley. Yes, that is actual enthusiasm. And I know they put an offer on the table to Realmuto, hopefully he re-signs and they make a run at things.