2023 Topps Chrome Ohtani #17 - question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crankbait09

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Can anyone tell me what is so special about the 2023 Topps Chrome Ohtani, #17? Why on earth is a base card, so many years past his rookie, so expensive? I understand that the chromes have a higher value than the standard base sets, but $20?? I was looking through some of the other base sets and none come close to that $20 price tag. Even the Bowman Chrome is only $8.

is there something rare about the Topps Chrome version?

I did a search on ebay, and they all say "buyback" next to the name. any info on that??

Can anyone tell me what is so special about the 2023 Topps Chrome Ohtani, #17? Why on earth is a base card, so many years past his rookie, so expensive? I understand that the chromes have a higher value than the standard base sets, but $20?? I was looking through some of the other base sets and none come close to that $20 price tag. Even the Bowman Chrome is only $8.

is there something rare about the Topps Chrome version?

I did a search on ebay, and they all say "buyback" next to the name. any info on that??
It is a buyback program that Topps started with its dealers last year. If you turn in the cards of that years MVP's, you get $$$ credit at the store, seemingly well above market value, which is why they are selling at what they are.

I feel your pain, if it is the last card you need to finish the set. I had to deal a pink border #17 to get the base #17.

Was hoping J-Rod was going to make a late season push to win the award, I have 4 of his base cards sitting in a box.

dammit Ohtani....this nonsense is YOUR fault.

so what benefit does topps get out of buying them back? they get a crap ton of these cards, then what? Not sure if anyone knows that answer.

i just bought one on ebay so I could finish the set.

oh wait, this also applies to Acuna Jr. His is a Buyback too, it looks like.
his are going for more than Ohtani's, on ebay at least. good grief.
guess i'm not done yet.

dammit Ohtani....this nonsense is YOUR fault.

so what benefit does topps get out of buying them back? they get a crap ton of these cards, then what? Not sure if anyone knows that answer.

i just bought one on ebay so I could finish the set.

I don't know for 100%, but my assumption is that they will be stamping them and re-inserting them into future releases.

In the 2022 TC, the Goldschmidt & Judge both book at $25.00, but you can buy them way cheaper on COMC. I bought both for under 3.00. Probably because the buyback offer expired