2023 Topps Update Series Baseball Hobby Jumbo Box 10/11/2023

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My source still says 20 packs of 12 cards per hobby box. The jumbo is 10 packs of 46 cards per pack. I found this on Cardboard Connection:
Hobby Box Configuration: 12 cards per pack, 20 packs per box, 12 boxes per case
Hobby Jumbo Box Configuration: 46 cards per pack, 10 packs per box, 6 boxes per case
Retail Box Configuration: 14 cards per pack, 20 packs per box, 12 boxes per case
Hanger Pack Configuration: 59 cards per pack, 64 packs per box, 8 boxes per case
Blaster Box Configuration: 12 cards per pack, 7 packs per box, 40 boxes per case
I would point out that Hobby has 12 cards per pack, while retail has 14 cards per pack.

Sounds like shrinkflation has arrived in the hobby and Fanatics is starting the process of increasing profit while decreasing product. Not sure how much longer this hobby is going to be affordable.

We really need MLB to release more licenses to get more competition and better value for price. A couple of numbered cards per box is pretty weak. Back in 05, you would get a numbered card in almost every pack, especially when Donruss, Leaf, Fleer all knew they were losing their licenses and loaded up every release. I miss some of those products.

Sorry for the rant. This type of profit engineering really bothers me.

Last edited:
Totally confused at this point. Based on the Hobby Box write up from Anglinomics - it says 20 packs/12 cards, and than basically in the same paragraph says 24 packs:

Configuration:

12 cards per pack.
20 packs + 1 silver pack per box.
Look for 1 autograph or relic card per box on average.

Every 24-pack Hobby Box contains one autograph or relic card.
I'm sorry I didn't catch the error. That is a copy and paste. There have been corrections posted after the original post. I will go back and fix post 1. I beleive the 20 pack of 12 is what actually happened. I think the 20 pack with 12 per pack is the same distributiuon for the Topps Heritage Mega box. In this case Mega meaning smaller. I would be leary of future products as far as box size.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I didn't catch the error. That is a copy and paste. There have been corrections posted after the original post. I will go back and fix post 1. I beleive the 20 pack of 12 is what actually happened. I think the 20 pack with 12 per pack is the same distributiuon for the Topps Heritage Mega box. In this case Mega meaning smaller. I would be leary of future products as far as box size.

Talked to our LCS guy about the hobby packs and he didn't even know it until I mentioned it to him. Topps/Fanatics definitely blindsided everyone on this one. Based on the cost/# of cards -- 2 jumbo boxes would have been the way to go this time around.

Update 3-Nov: Just finished sorting a Jumbo box my son bought for us. Believe it or not, between 1 Jumbo, 2 Hobby Boxes and 2 Blasters I could not make ONE SET! Unreal.

Update: sent Topps a complaint and of course I got the "we can offer you a full refund on the unopened product" blah blah blah. Then they (Fanatics) had the audacity to send me a survey about 2 days later. They did not get a good review. I bought 2 Hobby Boxes and 2 Blasters and not even close to making a set. I've sorted from 330 down to 250 and already missing 12 cards! You used to be able to make a set with 1 box!
They are killing it

Last edited: