60 Years of Twins Baseball

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)
The top hitters for the 70's are now done.

1. Rod Carew-- Led team in Games, at bats, runs, hits, doubles, triples, rbi's walks, intentional walks, strikeouts, sac flys, steals, caught stealing and Average.
2. Larry Hisle
3. Steve Braun
4. Tony Oliva
5. Dan Ford
6. Roy Smalley
7. Lyman Bostock
8. Ceasar Tovar
9. Harmon Killebrew--Was the only player in the decade to hit more than 100 homeruns and was done by 74.
10. Butch Wynegar

The top 10 individual hitting seasons belong to
1970 Cesar Tovar
1971 Leo Cardenas
1972 Rod Carew
1973 Rod Carew
1974 Larry Hisle
1975 Rod Carew
1976 Rod Carew
1977 Lyman Bostock
1978 Roy Smalley
1979 Roy Smalley

Hope to get the 70's pitchers done tonight. Then the real fun for me starts. Started following the team in 1980. Should be fun!

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)
The top 10 pitchers in the seventies

BLYLEVEN, BERT Between Bert and Goltz led the decade in all except Games Finished, Saves ERA and WHIP.
GOLTZ, DAVE Was the most recent pitcher to toss over 300 innings in a season.
CORBIN, RAY
PERRY, JIM
KAAT, JIM
CAMPBELL, BILL
ZAHN, GEOFF
HUGHES, JIM
DECKER, JOE
WOODSON, DICK

The tops 5 came out as expected with a few surprises in the bottom 5.

yearly bests were

1970 KAAT, JIM
1971 PERRY, JIM
1972 BLYLEVEN, BERT
1973 BLYLEVEN, BERT-- had an amazing 37 decisions out of 41 games. Perhaps if he had better run support he may have won 30 games that year (20-17)
1974 BLYLEVEN, BERT
1975 HUGHES, JIM
1976 GOLTZ, DAVE
1977 GOLTZ, DAVE
1978 ERICKSON, ROGER
1979 KOOSMAN, JERRY

Last edited:

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Frank Viola...... pitch for several years for the Twins....but........didn't he pitch and pitch one year and at the end....his pitching arm was done. Think he was in the 1980's.

Last edited:

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)
Top Seasonal Hitters seasons for the 1980's

1980 John Castino
1981 John Castino
1982 Gary Gaetti, Gary Ward
1983 Gary Ward
1984 Gary Gaetti, Kent Hrbek
1985 Kirby Puckett
1986 Gary Gaetti
1987 Kirby Puckett
1988 Kirby Puckett
1989 Kirby Puckett

Hope to have the pitchers and top 10 of the decade done tomorrow

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)
top ten hitters in the 80's

Kirby Puckett-- led in hits,triples,stolen bases,caught stealing and average
Kent Hrbek-- led runs, homers, rbi, walks, intentional walks,slugging, on base, and ops
Gary Gaetti--games, at bats, doubles, strike outs, sac fly
Tom Brunansky
Randy Bush
Greg Gagne
John Castino
Roy Smalley
Mickey Hatcher
Gary Ward

top pitching seasons
1980 Jerry Koosman
1981 Al Williams
1982 Bobby Castillo
1983 Frank Viola
1984 Mike Smithson
1985 Mike Smithson
1986 Bert Blyleven
1987 Bert Blyleven
1988 Frank Viola
1989 Allen Anderson

Last edited:

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)
The top 10 pitchers for the 80's are

1. FRANK VIOLA
2. AL WILLIAMS
3. MIKE SMITHSON
4. BERT BYLEVEN
5. ALLEN ANDERSON
6. KEN SCHROM
7. RON DAVIS
8. JERRY KOOSMAN
9. JOHN BUTCHER
10. BOBBY CASTILLO

A couple of surprises but I can safely say the 80's were not the greatest decade for pitching.

David K.

5.00 star(s)
There he is Frank Viola! Back in the 1970's ...I remember Byleven pitching against the Angels....1st hitter for the angels...HR....and that was the only hit off of him ....Think the final score was Twins 2 and Angels 1....he threw a one hitter. Best regards, David

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)
There he is Frank Viola! Back in the 1970's ...I remember Byleven pitching against the Angels....1st hitter for the angels...HR....and that was the only hit off of him ....Think the final score was Twins 2 and Angels 1....he threw a one hitter. Best regards, David

It's crazy cause Viola led in almost every category for the decade. A few that he did not were Games finished 24 behind Ron Davis, Games Finished and Saves of course (Davis led in both of those categories as well). And then ERA and WHIP which another relief ace from the 80's led in and that was Doug Corbett. Also from 84 to 88 Viola was the left handed pitcher with the most victories in the Majors. (including another with the same initials, who had a mania named after him!)

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)
The 1990's hitters are done.
the top 10 are as follows

1. Kirby Puckett-- Lead team in doubles, home runs, rbi's, Intentional Walks, Reached on Error, Grounded into Double Plays, AVE and Slugging Percentage. Puck scored 1873/2016 rating points beating teammate Chuck Knoblauch by 10 points.
2. Chuck Knoblauch-- Lead in Games, AB, Runs, Hits, Walks, Hit by Pitch, Sac Fly's Stolen Bases and Caught Stealing
3. Shane Mack. Had only a few years with the Twins but made the most of them
4. Marty Cordova--Lead the Decade in Strikeouts
5. Kent Hrbek-- Still a productive player in his last 4 years
6. Paul Molitor-- Possibly the best 3 year run in his career
7. Matt Lawton-- Puckett's heir apparent. Did not turn out quite as well as hoped, but still a solid contributor
8. Pat Meares--Under rated defensive shortstop
9. Brian Harper--One of the top catchers in team history
10. Rich Becker--

Top individual seasons are as follows
1990 Gary Gaetti
1991 Kirby Puckett
1992 Kirby Puckett
1993 Kirby Puckett
1994 Kirby Puckett
1995 Chuck Knoblauch
1996 Chuck Knoblauch
1997 Chuck Knoblauch
1998 Matt Lawton
1999 Marty Cordova

Hoping to get the pitchers done this weekend, but as a teaser may need to revamp the individual seasons as in 1997 Brad Radke, did not top out despite clearly being the best pitcher on the staff...

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)
1990's pitchers are done. It was another bad decade for the team's hurlers. Tops 10 are as follows
1. Rick Aguilera-- Started and relieved. Let in Games, Games Finished, Saves and Intentional walks.
2. Mike Trombley-- Also Started and relieved. Did not lead in any categories but was in the top 5 in almost every category
3. Kevin Tapani-- Led in Starts complete games, Innings, Hits, Batters faced, strikeouts, doubles, triples and Wins
4. Scott Erickson-- Led in Shutouts, Walks, Sac Hits, Sac Flys, HBP, DP Induced, Runners reached on Errors.... Not the greatest of leads but....
5. Brad Radke-- Led in HR, Runs, Earned Runs
6. Mark Guthrie
7. Frankie Rodriguez
8. Eddie Guardado
9. Rich Robertson
10. LaTroy Hawkins

The top yearly pitchers

1990 Allan Anderson
1991 Jack Morris
1992 Scott Erickson
1993 Scott Erickson
1994 Scott Erickson
1995 Brad Radke
1996 Frankie Rodriguez
1997 Rich Robertson
1998 Latroy Hawkins
1999 Joe Mays

David K.

5.00 star(s)
I remember Scott Erickson.....we're both ground hogs...........I remember his black socks.......First few years he was great...but then later not so good. Best Regards, David

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)
I remember Scott Erickson.....we're both ground hogs...........I remember his black socks.......First few years he was great...but then later not so good. Best Regards, David

Right on about Erickson. I graduated high school in 91 and the baseball team had made it to state that year, our coach, Jerry Raddatz, was a mid west scout for the Cincinnati Reds, well after our last game my junior year he told us that 91 would be his last season as a coach, that team our Jr year was way more talented than the team we had our senior year, but something happened along the way...a few miracle comebacks and a player who as a first baseman was rated one of the lowest on the team, but decided he wanted to try and pitch our senior year. Paul Martens went like 9-1, threw a no hitter that year, just was lights out all year for us. That gave us 2 Frank Viola type lefties on a HIGH SCHOOL team. The other James Kammerer, ended up signing as a free agent with the Colorado Rockies, and made it as high as AA Asheville. (I am pretty sure he pitched with Jamey Wright in 96, and used to LOVE Baseball Weekly's Minor League stats to follow his progress.) Anyway, so we had made it to the Minnesota State baseball tournament. This was the last year that it wasn't a round robin tourney so it was one and done. So a few days after graduation there are 25 of us in downtown St. Paul still spending the school's money! The itinerary, was if we won the 1st round game, that after an off day we would head to the Metrodome for the Yankees v Twins game. It was ironic because during that off season while scouting in Mexico, coach stumbled across a lefty reliever who had turned his life around and wanted one last shot at the bigs. This relief pitcher was part of the Dodgers run of Rookie of the Year winners in the early 80's and had pitched a little bit with the Twins in 1985. You guessed it, it was Steve Howe. The plan was to thank coach for getting him back in the big leagues, so he was going to talk to us about the choices we make in life and all that. That was IF we won. Well we went up against Terry Steinbach's alma matter, New Ulm. We got our butts handed to us. The one AB I got I struck out, and felt like dude was throwing 100 miles an hour. My brother was sitting next to a scout for the Twins and as I walked back to the dugout the scout said to him "he doesn't get cheated on his swings does he?!"
So as we are on the bus getting ready to go back to Winona, our captains were taking a poll on if we wanted to see if we could stay and go to the game anyway. Of course we said yes, and they talked coach into it. He gave us a speech about character and this and that, but really we just wanted to see a free game. (cause he was a scout, all the tickets were comped) We got to the dome, got to go inside the Twins offices, but the funny thing there was we all had to get into the foyer, before opening the other office doors, or we would have had a huge wind tunnel. Don't know how many of you ever got to see a game at the dome but when leaving you basically got pushed out the doors. So we got to see the 87 World Series Trophy, and walked through the offices, and got to the stands to see both teams take bp. We settled in by the Yankees bull pen and Steve came over to talk to us for about 45 minutes. Afterwards he signed autographs for us and because he lived in Whitefish Montana in the off season, I talked to him about Montana, as I was born there and was heading back in about two weeks to go to college there, which was pretty cool. The final part was the 5 of us who did not get to play much that season, but had stuck it out since 7th grade, got seats about 15 rows behind home plate. I was one of those kids. Pedro Munoz hit a grand slam in the first inning and the Twins won. It was in the middle of their 15 game winning streak, that year. Great memory...

as a p.s. to this story, while we were still living in East Troy I contacted coach to see if he could write me a letter of recommendation, for the assistant baseball coach in East Troy. he did and I got an interview, but ultimately, did not get it. But I think what got me an interview was the letter came in on Los Angeles Dodgers letterhead and he had sent me a copy also.

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)
So originally I thought that I would get this done, but the start of the season if I did one year a day, obviously sometimes life throws you a curve, and I didn't realize it would be almost June and the season would not have started yet.... anyway the top 10 2000's Twins are as follows

1. Torii Hunter--led in games, ab, runs, hits, doubles, homers, rbi, k's SB and CS
2. Joe Mauer-- Fell about 8 point shy of rating the best...led in BB, IBB, ave, ob, ops
3. Jacque Jones- 2/3 of the Soul Patrol outfield in the top 3!
4. Corey Koskie-- very under rated in my opinion
5. Michael Cuddyer--Mr play me anywhere. Put me in coach im ready to play
6. Justin Morneau
7. Christian Guzman-- Key part of the Knoblauch trade
8. Doug Mientkiewicz-- 2000 Olympic hero
9. Jason Kubel
10. A.J. Pierzynski--traded for Joe Nathan after 03 season

David K.

5.00 star(s)
What happened to Chuck Knoblauch? He had a great start playing in the World Series and winning it...had about 3 more good years and then losted it. Best regards, David

Kirbyfan34

4.90 star(s)
What happened to Chuck Knoblauch? He had a great start playing in the World Series and winning it...had about 3 more good years and then losted it. Best regards, David

When he threatened to hold out for spring training in 98, unless the team was upgraded, he signed his eviction papers in MN. Traded to the Yankees for Eric Milton, Christian Guzman and Brian Buchanan. Had a couple good years in NY and then developed a case of the yips and couldn't throw the ball to first correctly. Ended up with KC in 01 and then was out of the Majors a couple years later.

David K.

5.00 star(s)
When he threatened to hold out for spring training in 98, unless the team was upgraded, he signed his eviction papers in MN. Traded to the Yankees for Eric Milton, Christian Guzman and Brian Buchanan. Had a couple good years in NY and then developed a case of the yips and couldn't throw the ball to first correctly. Ended up with KC in 01 and then was out of the Majors a couple years later.
Thanks for the update. Best regards, David

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Why did Joe Mauer retired from Baseball? I thought he was going to be signing a contract with the Yankees. Best regards, David