7/23 - Syracuse Chiefs vs. Norfolk Tides (featuring Denny McLain)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

montserratplay

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Hey, all. Ordinarily, I hate coming back home after a ball game as I would prefer to keep the game in mind as much as possible. Today, being in my 95-degree office feels good because I drove through a ridiculously bad thunderstorm on my way home from Alliance Bank Stadium. Like a lot of other folks, we've had too little rain and too much heat this summer, and today was particularly hot--94 degrees at game time.

But today was special because Denny McLain was in Syracuse! As a lifelong Tiger fan, I have read a ton about the 1968 team and heard stories from my Dad. I know that McLain has had his...problems, but haven't we all? (Admittedly, far different ones.) I didn't happen to have enough McLain cards, so I checked with the card shop in Carousel Mall and they had a few. It hadn't occurred to me before today to actually ask to look through the shelves of boxes clearly labeled with cards from all kinds of different years.

It's a sad sign of the times, I suppose...the line was much longer last year for Jose Canseco than for the last pitcher to win 30 games in one season. McLain was set up on the concourse and there was a nice breeze coming through. I purchased his book (as a writer, I don't mind getting baseball biographies) and he also had photos and balls for sale. I am not sure of the relation between him the folks who were working his table(s), but they were very nice and have been travelling all over with Denny McLain. The man himself was very friendly and gregarious and I loved that a lot of kids were taking pictures with him. Perhaps best of all, he laid a strike over the plate when he threw the first pitch. Cool.

And can you believe it? There was plenty of time to get back to see if I could get some of the Norfolk Tides. I didn't have a lot of the cards of the folks on the roster at all. Honestly, I was excited for McLain and considered anyone else a bonus. (Although I was hoping to meet Pat Neshek.) I got Xavier Avery before the game; he was relatively polite in informing a confused autograph seeker in the line that you should know the name of the person whose autograph you're soliciting. McLouth, Lew Ford and a couple others signed before the game.

Well, the Tides had a great game. There were a few lightning bolts in the ominous clouds to the south and there was a lot of thunder in the Norfolk bats. They won handily 6-1 behind the great pitching of Steve Johnson, who went 7 innings, giving up 5 hits and one run. He had 7 K and 1 BB. Pat Neshek closed the game out in a non-save situation. The aforementioned Xavier Avery went 4-5 with a home run. Luis Exposito also hit a home run for the Tides. Carlos Rivero tagged Johnson's only real mistake for a solo jack in the fifth. The Chiefs/Nationals have a great offensive talent in Eury Perez. he only went 1-4, but he was threatening bunt and was dangerous on the basepaths. Unfortunately, I'm not sure about Perez as a center fielder, at least from tonight. On Avery's home run, Perez ended up getting his arm and leg stuck in the manual out-of-town scoreboard. In the fifth, Perez nearly made an against-the-wall catch...but he dropped the ball.

After the game was pleasant. It was TOO HOT, but the Tides were a pretty good team autograph-wise. I wish I had had more of the guys! Pat Neshek was as advertised...if I see him again, I want to bring him some of his rarer cards to keep. (And boy, do I love submarine pitchers!)

Here was the haul:

2011 Brian Matusz Topps Gypsy Queen Future Stars FS1 IP Auto 7/23/2012 Orioles 1 IP
2006 Nate McLouth Fleer Tradition 138 Pirates 1 IP
2011 Xavier Avery Bowman Topps 100 TP99 IP Auto 7/23/2012 Orioles 1 IP
1987 Denny Walling Topps 222 IP Auto 7/23/2012 Astros 1 IP
2011 Pat Neshek Topps Update US212 IP Auto 7/23/2012 Padres 1 IP
2009 Pat Neshek Topps 544 IP Auto 7/23/2012 Twins 1 IP
2008 Pat Neshek Topps 618 IP Auto 7/23/2012 Twins 1 IP
2007 Pat Neshek Topps 29 IP Auto 7/23/2012 Twins 1 IP
2010 Pat Neshek Topps 273 IP Auto 7/23/2012 Twins 1 IP
2006 Lew Ford (with Rondell White) Topps 647 IP Auto 7/23/2012 Twins 1 IP
2011 Jake Arrieta Topps 393 IP Auto 7/23/2012 Orioles 1 IP
2010 Jake Arrieta Topps Update US-251 IP Auto 7/23/2012 Orioles 1 IP
2009 Bill Hall Upper Deck Goudey Mini Green Back IP Auto 7/23/2012 Brewers 1 IP

Again, I'm thankful to be back and in one piece. Driving home, there was a beautiful light show ahead of me to the north...then the sky opened and I couldn't see a thing for five minutes as I drove through two or three inches of water. I slowed to 35 in a 65 with my hazard lights on, because the hailrain was so oppressive. (If you feel the need to pass me in such a situation, be my guest. I'm not going to drive so fast that I can't see the road.)

Nice. I am going to a game this Thursday where Rollie Fingers is appearing. I hope to grab a jumbo pile of autos from him, as I have a ton of oddball stuff just itching to be signed. In a purely selfish manner, I am hoping the crowds are not overly excited for Fingers, as he has no real ties to the Seattle area. I'm sure there will be plenty of people seeking those free autographs, but perhaps not as many double dippers? The fewer in line, the better I can hope to possibly do.

I just love autographs and will try to get anything I have signed. It just makes a plain old card or photo into something special.

I would agree with this for the most part, but when we are talking the minors and no names on the uniforms, then it is hard to do that. For my minor experience, I had to use the game program to ID all of the Aqua Sox players. When the kids were getting signatures, thankfully nearly all of them wrote their number next to their signature. That is a nice touch for those guys, many of whom will never even crack the MLB level. This is single A after all, and these guys maybe stick around 1 year before moving on.

Some people don't really care who the player is, they are just there for the thrill (at least that is the way I was when I was a kid...,times have probably changed quite a bit though).

I got Xavier Avery before the game; he was relatively polite in informing a confused autograph seeker in the line that you should know the name of the person whose autograph you're soliciting.

Hi there,

Went to the game as well... Mr. Mclain was indeed a very nice man. Signed everything u wanted him to (even if u didn't buy from his stuff). I did buy a ball to surprise the kids. They were too busy trying to get an auto from Jayson Werth!! No success there. There was def. alot going on last night... it was fun. Great write up btw.

Adam

Last edited:
congrats, suprised he was signing away like that, he does a signing for charity here ever year and 2 or 3 years ago a buddy of mine got over 100 cards down and a few balls and Denny was not happy what so ever yet always wants to out do the year before and this was all paid

I would agree with this for the most part, but when we are talking the minors and no names on the uniforms, then it is hard to do that. For my minor experience, I had to use the game program to ID all of the Aqua Sox players. When the kids were getting signatures, thankfully nearly all of them wrote their number next to their signature. That is a nice touch for those guys, many of whom will never even crack the MLB level. This is single A after all, and these guys maybe stick around 1 year before moving on.

Some people don't really care who the player is, they are just there for the thrill (at least that is the way I was when I was a kid...,times have probably changed quite a bit though).

I'll clarify in case I was unclear. I totally agree with you and I do think players are a little less offended when they are out of uniform. They're all young, tall and fit guys. It can be hard to tell them apart. The nice gentleman next to me thought his first name was Avery, I think, and asked with a distinct question in his voice. I hope I communicated that Avery was not a jerk about it and still signed for the guy.

And yes, I see lots of kids who don't care is signing their foul ball with Sharpie. Wouldn't it be nice to get such a big thrill from such a simple thing?

congrats, suprised he was signing away like that, he does a signing for charity here ever year and 2 or 3 years ago a buddy of mine got over 100 cards down and a few balls and Denny was not happy what so ever yet always wants to out do the year before and this was all paid

Not that I'm an expert in anything, really, but I think McLain had a good plan/policy. The folks running his table said he's been making the circuit, signing all over the place at ballparks (and at Cooperstown last weekend, I'm guessing). I like that the policy was not to charge for the simple autograph. This is a good idea for McLain and for baseball. I love that the little kid behind me got to meet a 2-time Cy Young winner and didn't have to beg his mom for 10, 20, 30 dollars. McLain is more firmly placed in the memories of a younger generation. I also think it's a good idea McLain had stuff to sell to add to whatever fee he received; he needs money just like anyone else. (Canseco did not last year...I dunno if this is SOP at ballpark signings.) I dropped $25 on a book and if I were set up to display 8x10s, I would happily have paid 8 bucks for a picture.

I would sure hope he wouldn't actually be charging for his autograph at a game. I'm sure he's getting paid just to be there, is smart of him though to have items for purchase. Here when they have old players or celebrities unless they are having a stadium giveaway or you bring something yourself the only option you really have is your ticket unless you buy some random team thing