7/5: The sun SHINES while laying out in the HAMMOCK ++

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tigsfan

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
Time to take advantage of the nice weather with 4 returns today, bringing me to 5/25 I sent less than two weeks ago, and 15/45 after adding in the stuff I sent during Spring Training.

Alfredo Aceves
c/o Scranton RailRiders (postmarked from Lehigh Valley, PA - home of the Phillies AAA team)
2/2, 11 days

The starter/reliever pitched for the Champion Red Sox last year, which he noted by inscribing "WSC 13" on both cards I sent him. He had a 6.52 ERA and 1.40 WHIP in 10 appearances for the Yankees this season, but in 4 appearances since his demotion back to AAA, he's posted a 4.91 ERA. He was just suspended by MiLB for a positive test for a relationship with Mary Jane, so he is probably not going back to the Bronx this year (Note: I did smell the cards, carefully, to see if I could smell it: I got nothing, but it is an erratic signature).

J.D. Closser
c/o Tampa Yankees
2/2, 11 days

It is not noted on his wikipedia page, but JD is a coach with the Yankees A+ team in Tampa. The team is hovering around .500, and I am unaware of how the short lived Rockies catcher is contributing to that success (he is not the MG, HC, or PC). I expect him to slowly climb the coaching ranks, but I don't see a MLB job in his future.

Robby Hammock
c/o Visalia Rawhide
2/3, 11 days (kept other)

In the managerial chair for the D-Backs A+ team, the on and off catcher for the parent club is keeping the team around .500 in his first year with the team and second year managing after retiring in 2011. Robby's claim to fame was catching the Big Unit's perfect game in 2004. He is another guy who will slowly creep up the coaching ranks, and I could see him in a role with the D-Backs in the near future as they look for some fresh faces to get their MLB team out of the gutter.

Razor Shines
c/o Chattanooga Lookouts
1/1, 11 days

Shines is another who had a short lived playing career, but his coaching career is quite extensive. He has served as a coach for the White Sox (2007) and Mets (2009-2010) before going back to the minors. He joined the Dodgers serving as a HC for their A team, then that team's manager the following year leading them to a record around .500. He followed up by a promotion to manager of the AA team where he is now, with a team well under the .500 mark (32-54). I never got this guy in his two years in the MWL, so I jumped on a mail out once I saw him signing.