A brief commentary: Why guys should sign for us

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

montserratplay

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
My recent IP successes at the ballpark have resulted in some interesting coincidences and reasons why guys should sign, so I thought I would share them briefly. On September 4, I attended the second-to-last game of the Syracuse Chiefs' season. That's where I got Ryno, who was managing the Iron Pigs. But I also managed to get Pete Orr, who was very nice. There are thousands of pro ballplayers, and it's hard to keep track of them all. (Particularly journeymen on the wrong side of 30.) I am guessing that part of the motivation to succeed for many ballplayers is to show off their abilities, to earn a little fan adulation. I'm a writer; I do the work for myself, but I hope someday to have fans.

Well, because Mr. Orr was nice enough to sign my card on a pleasant summer night, I recognized his name when I saw it in Baseball Weekly. He had received a September callup and hit .400-something. Even better, my MLB.TV points out highlights as I watch the game. I saw a couple stellar plays by Orr at third base. Had he not signed for me, maybe I wouldn't have seen him make those great grabs.

The same thing happened with Mike Zagurski. His C.C.-esque figure is something of an inpsiration to me and he seemed really good as I watched him warm up. After the game, he signed for me. He made me a little bit more of a fan, so I ended up reading and considering the news that he was traded to the Diamondbacks. Isn't that what most ballplayers want? To have strangers checking out to see if you're on the playoff roster, to know you came back from surgery and are a well-regarded left-handed relief arm?

Even though I didn't have a card, Liam Hendriks (a Twins prospect from Australia) seemed like such a fun guy that I have been following him since then. Even though having fans won't affect his on-field performance, there must be a part of a guy who loves that you checked up on his stats and read about his success in the Australian league. (As I understand it, Hendriks is the biggest prospect to come from down under in a while.)

I don't think any of us expect players to bend over backwards for fans or to spend all of their time interacting with them, but players do receive tangible and intangible benefits from being cool to folks like us.

(Oh, and it just occurred to me that the fact that Orr and Zagurski signed and that Hendriks was cool had another effect: I just told you they were cool and now YOU may pay more attention to them in the future. It's contagious!)

Pete Orr was actually on the Chiefs last year. I live 10 mins from stadium and bring the kiddies to atleast 10 games a year. (side note... milb is best bang for buck in pro sports) He signed every time for my boys, and even chit chatted w/ them. You are right...when he was up w/ the Phils this year, we always checked to see how he did. I chuckled reading your post, as Orr did the same w/ us and made us fans.

Adam

I'd like to think that players owe some small amount of gratitude to the fans and one way to show it is to interact and give the fan a similar feeling that the player may receive from the fans.

As you mentioned, many players probably get satisfaction showing their skills. We all get that feeling when we are good at something and others admire this. Now, add the fact that people are actually paying to see that skill must add a level. Toss in the fact that these players GET PAID to do something they enjoy and that us fans pay to see them play...well, it can't get much better.

Our money into tickets, concessions, souvenirs and such leads to greater success for the teams, the players, the league. Minor players become stars and then start getting endorsements. Advertisers are spending big money to hire "idols", who they hope will entice young (and old alike) fans to buy their product because their idol endorses it. Without the fan (and their money), a player is not much more than a guy playing a game.

Imagine people not willing to spend money on all those things. Baseball is then just another thing people do on their weekends, because they are working a job to support their family. Jeter is picking up trash at 4:30 AM and tearing it up on the field after work, but nobody outside of his friends and family really care.

We help contribute to their fame and fortune. We'd just like a glance, smile or acknowledgment, to shake a hand, a signature or perhaps a picture. It's not much to ask of someone who makes millions playing a game. Imagine how much good will a guy could build signing autographs for 15-30 minutes after a game...You'll never be able to get everyone, but do it each night after a game and that is a lot of happy fans.

I remember seeing Pete Orr when he played for the Braves in 2005 and 2006. I actually have a signed ball from him, somewhere. :)

I have a similar story about Carlos Delgado. I got his auto when he was playing for AAA Syracuse Chiefs back in 1995 when they were in town playing the Richmond Braves (I lived in Richmond back then). He signed for lots of fans and he had been in the majors already, plus he was a visitor player so he didn't need to sign at all. (side note: he didn't sign the sweet spot of my ball, but its for my PC anyway so it doesn't really matter) After that night I always looked him up in the boxscores and became a big fan of his. I collected his cards, etc, and all b/c he signed a ball for me in 1995.

this was a very nice read and I agree with you. I think players should sign and interact with the fans because afterall, without us their salaries wouldn't be paid but more importantly what would be the point of playing if no fans even showed up?

I have a simmelar story about Red Sox prospect Daniel Nava. Nicest kid, always signing, and talking with the fans. I agree 100%, if they sign, I will follow them. If they are jerks, I will "boo" them.