Alternatives to A Pitch Clock in Baseball

Jaybo374

5.00 star(s)
Something is going to have to happen to reverse this trend of games increasing in length. While die-hards such as you and me do not want to see it happen, for the sake of the casual fan's attention span, it will happen. My bigger issue is the start time of games. I typically wake up at 5:00 am and can't stay up past 9:30.

cmcjr99

5.00 star(s)
i know i'm in the minority , but i actually prefer games that last 3-4 hours and prefer those that start at 10 or 10:30 ET (despite living on the east coast)....while starting time is another matter , i can honestly say i have never heard even ONE fan complain about the length of game being too long - i only hear that from 99% of the commentators who it seems can't wait to get out of the booth and into .....well , whatever they do off air......personally i'd LOVE to have a chance to be paid to sit and watch/talk about a game for 3-5 hours per day year round....like so many pampered athletes who don't realize how good they have it , many of today's sports media figures are equally spoiled and don't realize how good they have it - let THEM all go get a "real" job for a while and see how much it matters when game length goes from 2:45 to 3:30....

the only way i'd like to see any games sped up is to reduce the number and length of commercial interruptions....i know they are needed for revenue , but considering how many in-game ads already pop up covering the screen during games (or any other tv shows for that matter) it seems there has to be a better alternative than having 15-25 minutes per hour of commercial breaks....

baseball24

5.00 star(s)
i know i'm in the minority , but i actually prefer games that last 3-4 hours and prefer those that start at 10 or 10:30 ET (despite living on the east coast)....while starting time is another matter , i can honestly say i have never heard even ONE fan complain about the length of game being too long - i only hear that from 99% of the commentators who it seems can't wait to get out of the booth and into .....well , whatever they do off air......personally i'd LOVE to have a chance to be paid to sit and watch/talk about a game for 3-5 hours per day year round....like so many pampered athletes who don't realize how good they have it , many of today's sports media figures are equally spoiled and don't realize how good they have it - let THEM all go get a "real" job for a while and see how much it matters when game length goes from 2:45 to 3:30....

the only way i'd like to see any games sped up is to reduce the number and length of commercial interruptions....i know they are needed for revenue , but considering how many in-game ads already pop up covering the screen during games (or any other tv shows for that matter) it seems there has to be a better alternative than having 15-25 minutes per hour of commercial breaks....

I've only really heard complaints about it being a 'slow' or 'boring' game, but I think controlling the length is important.

Commercials are an issue in any sport (especially college basketball). In the MLB, I think pitchers are given too much time to warm up. Most of the time they had been in the pen for an inning anyways, no need for them to take more than 2 or 3 pitches.

Something is going to have to happen to reverse this trend of games increasing in length. While die-hards such as you and me do not want to see it happen, for the sake of the casual fan's attention span, it will happen. My bigger issue is the start time of games. I typically wake up at 5:00 am and can't stay up past 9:30.

Agree especially on the start of games during the postseason. There's pretty much an entire generation of kids that haven't seen many WS games because they end past midnight.

TideFanDan

My thoughts

The commercials
Most of the games that I go to are college football, and the commercials are too often and too long.

Game time
It seems like to me the games being longer is made up of two things. The first is the time between pitches. This is the batter intro music, the batter adjusting his gloves/crotch/etc, and the multiple throws over to first. The other part is the multiple pitching changes. There was a great article on espn showing the number of pitching changes versus game length.

baseball24

5.00 star(s)
My thoughts

The commercials
Most of the games that I go to are college football, and the commercials are too often and too long.

Game time
It seems like to me the games being longer is made up of two things. The first is the time between pitches. This is the batter intro music, the batter adjusting his gloves/crotch/etc, and the multiple throws over to first. The other part is the multiple pitching changes. There was a great article on espn showing the number of pitching changes versus game length.

Yes! Pitching changes should be much shorter. I think they should only get 2-3 pitches max if they had already been warming up in the pen (which would hopefully mean a short/no commercial break. Unfortunately, there's not much they could do to limit throws to first without giving the runner an advantage.

Other sports do have similar or longer commercial breaks. I actually think college basketball is the worst along with college football. I kinda wish they showed the warm ups for the inning on TV, but $.

mm1sub

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
The Indians will be starting games at 6:00 this year which I think is a great idea. When you watch Josh Beckett pitch it makes me want to turn the channel. He is given way too much time to throw a pitch. anything done to speed up the pitchers I think would be a good thing for baseball. And maybe having relief pitchers pitch to more than one batter. But I doubt these changes will ever go in to effect. While run scoring is way down revenue is way up.

ksboyd

5.00 star(s)
I've been in baseball as a coach for a very long time. Summer travel team leagues. Spring training all up and down the east coast. Watching hundreds of games as well. I've seen that over the last 20 years. Pitchers have been slowed down systematically by the hitters and the umpires. I concur with the before mention about batting gloves, stepping in and out of batters box and so forth. But the umpires shrinking zone, even at the high school level. Have coaches now teaching a more conservative and less aggressive approach to hitting. Waiting a pitcher out, making him work more to get him out of a game. Therefore 100 pitch counts by 5th inning. Then the carousel of bull pen pitchers. Now I saw an article about them wanting to shrink it yet again. I'm assuming hitters aren't getting a fair shake. No runs, no fans. Hitters now will be able to sit dead red on a certain spot. This is just something I'm noticed over the years myself and it could be totally different in other regions. I don't like where it's heading myself!