Am I justified in leaving non-positive feedback?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teammaddux

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
I recently bid on and won 2 cards from the same seller. The cards were poorly described in the title and description, and the one card was listed with a 99 cent opening bid with a $20.00 BIN. The shipping was $3.50 per item. There was no other description or mention of combined shipping or anything, and with the time remaining in the auction, I did not have time to contact him.

Now, most sellers would combine shipping, but this guy decides to charge me the full $7.00 shipping for the two items. I send him a message, basically saying "Since you are not combining shipping charges, I expect the two cards to be sent in two separate packages". I can tell this guy is clearly pi**ed about not having his cards sell for the price he wanted. He then replies to me "Your attitude is coming across as demanding, pay the auction, don't complain, and see what comes". This whole time I've not threatened him with negative feedback or anything, because I know I'd lose any future case.

I then reply back to him "If I'm paying full separate shipping charges, it only makes sense that they be sent in separate packages. Otherwise you are charging excessive shipping to make up for your lost sales." I then state to him that if he is unhappy with what he got for his auctions, that perhaps he should list a higher starting bid and provide much better descriptions to his auctions.

So then he replies back "Keep your opinions to yourself and if you don't like my auctions then don't bid", to which I replied to him that I like his auctions but not how I'm being treated as a customer.

So, I get my cards today, and of course they would be in the same package together, the shipping price is clearly stated on the package of $2.21, and so I send him one more note today asking if he is planning on giving me any sort of refund for shipping, since he clearly spent nowhere near $7.00 for shipping.

He replies "No, quit harassing me and don't ever bid on any of my items again. I don't owe you anything, it's a flat rate".

Now, I know any replies I get from this post will be mixed, since I know there have been posts about this in the past. Those who side with the seller will tell me basically I'm agreeing to pay the shipping costs and since he has nothing posted about any sort of combined shipping policies, that I should just have to deal with it since I chose to bid without contacting the seller.

On the other hand, I feel the shipping charges should relatively match the shipping service provided. If I had bought these two items two days apart then I would have gotten them in two separate packages and I would have been satisfied. Even though I agreed to pay the shipping charges doesn't mean I agree with the shipping charges. I feel this seller has the ability to charge what he wants for combined shipping depending on what his auctions go for. I have no problem giving a reduced shipping cost or even offer FREE shipping for multiple auctions won or for a higher-priced item won, but this same idea should not go in the complete opposite way.

I had another seller a few weeks ago who was begging me to ask for a refund for the items because his items went for minimum bid at the last minute again and he was charging an exorbitant rate of shipping, once again because he had no policies listed. There was evidence that the shipping label was printed, but there was never any sign of it going to a post office. I have a feeling he kept them, then waited until I told him I never got them so he could issue the refund, then he could get his shipping refunded as well. I still keep a close eye on his auctions to make sure mine never "resurface". It's possible that he sent them, but I have my doubts.

Sorry for the long read, I had to rant. Do I have a justified reason as to leaving him negative or neutral feedback? Or should I just learn my lesson and let shady a***oles like this continue to practice questionable business practices on Ebay? I tried resolving things before I paid, after I paid, and when I received the items. I never threatened to leave non-positive feedback, yet he feels I am harassing him. Also, as long as I have paid, can he leave retaliatory negative feedback for me leaving it too?

Thanks, John

He's a jerk, no doubt about it, but I don't think you have a leg to stand on.

I never bid on a (single card) auction that charges more than $2.50 shipping on an item, regardless of combined shipping.

Sellers don't have to combine shipping (no written law on Ebay) and $7 is what you should have paid and that's what you did...but you did send him a message and he refused to combine the shipping his choice and he has all the right to refuse your request-But he then should have sent the cards in separate packages upon your request and since they weren't..i would leave neutral feedback.

No doubt about it.

NEGATIVE!!!

This is the guy that negative feedback was designed for. Regardless of what he may have written in his description, his actions show that he is a tool. Don't you feel the need to warn other buyers about this guy? He was unwilling to work with you at all, was argumentative and clearly looking to squeeze as much money out of buyers as he could.

I have used the same thing when sellers refuse to combine shipping. I also had the same thing happen to me, except the seller actually told me he would send two packages (to shut me up), then sent them in one. Yep, he got 2 negatives! I have gone so far as to hold off on paying for one to ensure the other is sent in a separate package.

The good news is that he can't leave you retalitory feedback any longer. Ebay stopped that a few years ago. you may be honest with no fears now.

Last edited:
He could have been nicer and agreed to refund part of the shipping cost...but unfortunely he not required to do so and it also was your fault for not contracting him about doing a combined shipping on the two auctions before placing a bid (and yes I read the part about not enough time). Therefore, I would give him a positive ....but I would include a part about charge for the full $7.00 on the shipping for the two auctions and then shipping the two cards in the same package for only $2.20..... Best regards, David

I'm not an expert on these things but my observation is this. The seller does not have to combine shipping and it's at their descression wether to do so or not. If they expected to get more for the card then they should have either started it with a higher price or put a reserve on it. At the very least the cards should have been mailed in seperate packages.

I think that some sort on notation should be made about the sale. I'm sure that if you leave negative feedback there will be an interesting response. Whatever happened to having a satisfied customer??

I'm sure that this wasn't much help but it is what it is. Let the buyer beware!!!

I rarely leave negative feedback, but when I do, I make sure to ask myself if I had a positive, neutral or negative BUYING experience. Don't forget you are not only leaving feedback for the product you received, but for the whole buying experience with that particular seller. Based on his responses to you, I would leave at least a Neutral feedback.

-J

I'd leave a negative - you need to let others know his practices. Charged 300% of cost to ship - horrible to deal with - etc.

One other thing. You should have paid for the items separately - he would then need to ship separately and be charged fees on both cards.

Please post the user name - I want to make sure I don't give this clown any business.

Sellers don't have to combine shipping (no written law on Ebay) and $7 is what you should have paid and that's what you did...but you did send him a message and he refused to combine the shipping his choice and he has all the right to refuse your request-But he then should have sent the cards in separate packages upon your request and since they weren't..i would leave neutral feedback.
I agree with this. It sucks that you wound up overpaying on shipping, but technically, you agreed to that when you bid on the items.

I wouldn't leave a negative, the seller did exactly what he said he would in the auctions themselves...each card got to you safely for $3.50 shipping. However, clearly he is trying to make money off of the shipping charge, so I'd leave him a low "shipping" star rating in the feedback.

It's similar to how I deal with it when sellers charge $2+ for shipping and don't say specifically how they are going to send it in the auction, then it arrives in a PWE. They did what they said they would in the auction - charged me $2 for shipping and got the card to me without damage - but if a card costs $2+ to ship you assume it will be a bubble mailer, and if it's not they are being somewhat deceptive and trying to make money off of shipping charges. So, I had a POSITIVE experience because I got the card okay, but the seller was overcharging on shipping so they get a low shipping DSR. Over time if they get enough low ratings it affects how much they have to pay in ebay fees.

Richard

Man, most of you are easy. I guess you have not been ****** around enough online to be a bit more jaded. The seller doesn't have to combine shipping, sure. However, ebay claims to have a policy against excessive shipping too and this is certainly excessive. i don't expect the "Nordstrom" treatment when I buy, but I also see that this guy is clearly a Jacka**. This story brought back memories of some of the worst trading/buying experiences I have had and I consider myself pretty fortunate in 35+ years of dealing online and through the mail with people in this hobby.

Well the shipping was clearly stated, no mention of combined shipping available so yea sellers can pretty much charge what they want. You may have not liked it but you did pay it. I avoid those types of auctions and when i do i try to ask ahead of time or just buy the one card (shipping + my bid = most i would pay). In those conditions mentioned I would leave negative feedback stating you think he charges excessive shipping and is very rude.

What amazes me is how some sellers talk to customers. Is it just the lack of "face-to-face" that lets people go around being jerks or do they really just not care?

For the way he handled himself and the auctions I would slap him with a negative.

I think with the way the Seller handled the situation and how he treated you he either expects a negative from you or doesn't care if you give him a negative. I think you are justified for a negative based solely on the interaction you had...if you had not communicated and just wanted to use the neg as a way to protest the shipping I would say that is wrong...a neg for the rudeness, lack of respect and lack of common courtesy is legitimate...One of the posters said you are rating your whole experience, not just the product and I agree with this.

Technically according to eBay's information, you shouldn't leave a negative if you have received your items in satisfactory condition even if you were overcharged, because the seller did not make mention of combined shipping. I'm not saying they did not over charge you, but you agreed to pay the shipping cost, and without a "designed" either in the text or in the shipping information "combined" ship discount, you are to pay $7.00 regardless of the shipping he chooses. (As long as it is what you paid for, ie: priority ships priority, ups ships ups, etc..)

Now if you had emailed him prior to get details, and received a response stating combined shipping, etc, then that's fine too..

But, knick the seller for DSR. You can for communication and Shipping & Handling Price.. The effects from that in the long run will damage them more than a negative would anyhow, especially if they are a power-seller or a rate discounted member.

After a week or so of debating, I decided to leave the seller (glow619) a neutral and a negative; I stated he was rude to me; stated that he charged me $7 s/h when he paid $2.21 and refused to combine shipping and/or refused to ship in separate packages. We'll see if he tries to contact me. If he's stupid enough to do that, I'll be sure to report him to Ebay for harassment if warranted.

John