An Evening with Dusty Baker....

t.rooster

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
The local independent book store in town here had a free book signing with Dusty Baker who has written a new memoir called, "Kiss the Sky". It's his account of how the 1967 Monterey Pop Music Festival that he attended at 18 continued to shape the landscape of his personality. Baker, who was in the on-deck circle when Hank Aaron clubbed number 714 to break the Babe's record has amassed an assortment of historic events in his life (it is said he was the recipient of the first high-five).
The Monterey Pop Festival feat. a newly formed Jefferson Airplane, Ravi Shankar, Jimi Hendrix among others has been hailed as the most influential music concert in history or at least of those free love '60s. Baker turned out to be a very humorous & entertaining story teller. The book signing line was long, and though it was stated Dusty would only sign books, not other baseball memorabilia, he graciously signed my cards.

worldwideed

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Very nice. As a big Otis Redding fan I have to mention that the Montery Festival was sort of coming out party to the west coast. Many of the young rolk and folk kids that were there had not heard of him. After the concert his popularity skyrocketed. Sadly he would die just 6 mos later.

SymphonicMetal

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Interesting! When reading the original post, I was wondering why Dusty's memoir had the same title as a famous Jimi Hendrix lyric. Dusty has led quite a life being involved in several historic events, even ones that you would not expect, such as the Monterey Music Festival.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Sounds like an interesting evening..wonder if he knew he would be signing on as the Nats new manager while signing books??

t.rooster

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Has that been finalized:? during the Q & A, people asked him about it and he made it sound like the ball was in their court, maybe there was more to it he was not revealing.....

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Has that been finalized:? during the Q & A, people asked him about it and he made it sound like the ball was in their court, maybe there was more to it he was not revealing.....

Sounded like it was - I thought I heard it as officially announced yesterday.