anybody else just plain sick of Panini football ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmyhazard

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I think I'm just gonna go back to the good ol' days and have some fun...Forget about all this Panini sheet and put a good football set together.I'm looking at a box or two of 1998 Topps Gold Label on EBay.The price is right and they're good looking cards. Any ideas on other sets to put together ?

To quote the famous sports card collector Horace Greeley, "Go vintage young man!".......or something like that.

Unless your heart is set on opening packs for this new set project, why not try to piece together a resonably priced vintage set like the 1967 Philadelphia or 1968 Topps? Neither set has a high number of cards in the set (219 and 198 cards respectively) and both have Rookie Hall of Fame cards that are not outrageously priced. Throw in the fact that both sets look great and it is something to consider.

To quote the famous sports card collector Horace Greeley, "Go vintage young man!".......or something like that.

Unless your heart is set on opening packs for this new set project, why not try to piece together a resonably priced vintage set like the 1967 Philadelphia or 1968 Topps? Neither set has a high number of cards in the set (219 and 198 cards respectively) and both have Rookie Hall of Fame cards that are not outrageously priced. Throw in the fact that both sets look great and it is something to consider.
it was the 1968 Topps that got me started into this infernal hobby...lol . I might research the set , and give it a whirl Thank you sooo much for the suggestion.

I hear ya'! It was the 1965 Topps and Philadelphia football issues that got me into the hobby.

After I posted my reply a few days ago, I wanted to mention some small but great looking Topps insert sets from late 60s and early 70s football. They are really great looking sets, loaded with Hall of Famers and quite inexpensive in price. Here are a few examples with the number of cards in parentheseis.

1968 Topps posters (16)
1968 Topps Stand Ups (22)
1970 Topps Glossy ((33)
1970 Topps Posters (24)
1971 Topps Game Inserts (53) this one has a Bradshaw Rookie year card in it!
1971 Topps Posters (32)

These sets are historically very overlooked by the collecting community which has kept their values low over the decades. The same holds true for many of their Topps baseball counterparts. I don't know what it books for now but the 1966 Topps Mantle poster high booked for $20 for decades!!! I hope it has gone up in the last few years because some of these inserts are criminally undervalued.

Have fun with whatever set(s) you try to put together!

I hear ya'! It was the 1965 Topps and Philadelphia football issues that got me into the hobby.

After I posted my reply a few days ago, I wanted to mention some small but great looking Topps insert sets from late 60s and early 70s football. They are really great looking sets, loaded with Hall of Famers and quite inexpensive in price. Here are a few examples with the number of cards in parentheseis.

1968 Topps posters (16)
1968 Topps Stand Ups (22)
1970 Topps Glossy ((33)
1970 Topps Posters (24)
1971 Topps Game Inserts (53) this one has a Bradshaw Rookie year card in it!
1971 Topps Posters (32)

These sets are historically very overlooked by the collecting community which has kept their values low over the decades. The same holds true for many of their Topps baseball counterparts. I don't know what it books for now but the 1966 Topps Mantle poster high booked for $20 for decades!!! I hope it has gone up in the last few years because some of these inserts are criminally undervalued.

Have fun with whatever set(s) you try to put together!
yeah,I had a bunch of all of those...sure wish I had 'em back ! The posters were hard to keep , they were cool anyway...I guess my main problem is finding traders.

Last edited:
I'm with you on Panini's products. They all look plastic, mass produced and with no originality.