Autograph Advice

rlschles

Prospect
I really like the customs I have seen on many of these threads. The interest in auto cards inspired me to look back through my old football programs from when I was a kid and used to get players' autographs after the game.

So here's my question - would you recommend leaving the autographs in the programs and cataloguing them? Or is it better to cut them out and try to create customs? All are welcome to weigh in with their thoughts and ideas.

Trishlp

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Do what makes you happy! If cutting them out and making custom cards is what interests you more than pulling out the old programs and looking at the auto's in the program then go for it. The monetary value for the old programs if there is any (don't collect programs so I honestly don't know) will go away but if you do not plan on selling the programs then it is up t you.

greatdadx2

HOF
5.00 star(s)
Agree with the two above....if you don't care about the monetary value of the program. Then display those autographs in way that you would be able to enjoy them.

rlschles

Prospect
You mention monetary value - is there much interest in intact programs from 1967-1971 ? And autographs of long forgotten, sometimes indecipherable players? I have identified the HoFers and other stars and would probably not clip them. But the 2nd string tight end on the 1969 Houston Oilers who I can only make out using the player guide?

Trishlp

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I don't know the answer to that question. I do know that I see tables at local shows that have items like that but what they go for I don't know.

KCLJ520

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Hello @rlschles welcome to the Bench! I may be a bit biases, but love going the custom cut card route! I do agree with Robert though, if you cut one, you are not gonna want to stop, since then you have a bunch of cut up old programs!

You would have a better shot at selling those with HOF player signatures, though i have seen tables at shows with literally hundreds of programs, not sure how the market for resale is. Of course you have the internet to widen your customer base!

A question to consider: if you end up cutting players out and making customs, are you keeping or selling? If you are planning to sell, it would sell as a team lot or in pairs, that way you can sell a HOFer with one of the second stingers you were talking about!!

Blessings,

Kevin

rlschles

Prospect
Thank you all for the thoughtful advice.
I'm a casual hobbyist, so it's unlikely I will take a table somewhere. I could do ebay, or I could swap with an enthusiast for cards. But I also like the idea of display.
I was a kid when I got them, 11 12 13, so the signatures are sometimes all over the place. Maybe I could match commons autos to commons cards...
Keep the ideas coming.
Cheers

t.rooster

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
A program of an event has a lot of nostalgic value, not just for you, but for other collectors who share direct or indirect similarities; and while a bunch of cut signatures may lend themselves to some unique and creative endeavors, I think a signed program of an event is on a different level of memorabilia. Keep the program intact and look at what similar things are going for on auction pages. Best, Rooster.

KCLJ520

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
A program of an event has a lot of nostalgic value, not just for you, but for other collectors who share direct or indirect similarities; and while a bunch of cut signatures may lend themselves to some unique and creative endeavors, I think a signed program of an event is on a different level of memorabilia. Keep the program intact and look at what similar things are going for on auction pages. Best, Rooster.

Good point with the different level of memorabilia and similarities between collectors. I have not researched programs as I never particularly collected them, but I do think that is a good perspective on keeping them intact!

Blessings,

Kevin