Back from Japan

chaplain11

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
I just got in this morning after being gone for 17 days. If you tried to contact me or were wanting more information that is why it has taken me so long. I have to play catch up around here and work before I head out for the holidays but will follow up with everyone by this weekend.

Happy hollidays,
Dewayne

pltcards

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Welcome back Dewayne, glad to hear you are back safe once again. You gotta have the bench record for most miles traveled I would guess. Have a great Holiday season with your family. Pat

DaClyde

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
So, were you a big hit in Japan? Pick up any endorsement deals? Will we be seeing you in 10 years on some oddball Japanese game show imported into the US on SpikeTV, dubbed in English?

chaplain11

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
The trip was awesome! I went to the northern most island called Hokkaido. It was about 12 degrees a day average and snowed a few times. Other than the cold and having six room mates things were good.

The exercise was very rewarding in terms of professional and multi-cultural development. I was recognized as one of 15 Soldiers to receive an Army Commendation Medal (ARCOM) which I know for most people doesn't mean a whole lot but for a Soldier those are hard to come by except for when changing duty stations - usually after three years of service - or during combat.

The Japanese people are very curteous. Some actual joked that I was the next Prime Minister because I received so many gifts - it was Chanukaesque, a present every day I was there. I was presented three plaques, got a coin from their commander, customized chopsticks, a Hachimaki (handband like the Karate Kid), Japanese flag, Ground Self Defense Force pendant, officers' pin, a Maneki Neko (good luck cat) sculpture, a hand carved bear (symbol of Hokkaido - the island I was on) and various other candies and such. Hope the endorsements start rolling in soon.

As per traveling, I have over 26,000 miles flown since August. That is simply crazy. Good thing I have frequent flyer miles:)

As far as the old Gehrig collection goes, I added a fair share. They are still coming in but all told I got eight or nine of the 2009 Topps 206 Gehrig cards and a few more game used (I will post scans later).

Take care
Dewayne

Jeffo65

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Dewayne,

I is great that we can keep our miles for personal use. Working for the government is an easy way to rack up the miles. The down side is being away from home and family for extended amounts of time.

Are the Japanese coins anything like the US mil coins? Is it a challenge coin?

currently I am in the process of putting in tdy orders for a visit to PACOM in either Jan or Feb.

Glad you had a good and safe trip. Happy holidays!

Jeff

Chavezforprez

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Congrats on the awards, especially the ARCOM. While I was in Iraq, working with the Army, I was awarded the Army Achievement Medal, which was big for me, since I'm in the Navy. I am one of the few Sailors that have one and I'm very proud to have it.

Billy

chaplain11

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Are the Japanese coins anything like the US mil coins? Is it a challenge coin?

currently I am in the process of putting in tdy orders for a visit to PACOM in either Jan or Feb.

Jeff - The coin is just like US military coins. It has their unit symbol on one side and the other is in recognition of the US/Japanese partnership. These were minted for their O6s to give out for the exercise; each were only given a couple. Their CG also gave out some of his personal coins which are given to Japanese Soldiers normally.

I will be in Thailand from the middle of January to the middle of February but if you come in give me a shout. PACOM is just down the street from where I work.

Congrats on the awards, especially the ARCOM. While I was in Iraq, working with the Army, I was awarded the Army Achievement Medal, which was big for me, since I'm in the Navy. I am one of the few Sailors that have one and I'm very proud to have it.

Billy - That is awesome! I tried to put a Navy Corpsman in for an Army Achievment Medal when I was in Iraq my first tour but could not get it pushed through. It was an act of congress since he was not in the army and my battalion commander did not want to fight for it.